• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

How much water do you use?

Most of this state in an "exceptional drought" condition, which is the most extreme classification (not moderate, severe, or even extreme, but exceptional). And even though some of our universities have still been still watering their synthetic turfs, most of us can no longer wash cars, pressure wash things, fill fountains, or water our lawns (press release). Additionally, surcharges are going into place for above average water use, which brings me to the point of this poll.

The water company says that average water use is 5,500 gallons per month. We're a family of four and use on average about 3,250 gallons a month (plus I still have to fix a leaky toilet!), so 5,500 gallons took me a bit by surprise.

How much water do you all use per month on average?
    Under 2,000 gallons
    12.50%
    2,000-2,999 gallons
    10.71%
    3,000-3,999 gallons
    17.86%
    4,000-4,999 gallons
    7.14%
    5,000-5,999 gallons
    5.36%
    6,000-6,999 gallons
    7.14%
    7,000-7,999 gallons
    1.79%
    8,000 gallons or more
    16.07%
    Unable to measure, I have a well
    12.50%
    I have no idea, ask my wife/husband
    8.93%
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

There should be 'have no idea' option, because i really have no idea. How do i find out?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Sam Conder
      Woodworker Once More
      • Dec 2002
      • Midway, KY
      • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by radhak
      There should be 'have no idea' option, because i really have no idea. How do i find out?
      It's on your water bill.
      Sam Conder
      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Hey the "no idea" option would help me. I have my own well. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to buy an hour meter for my pump rather than a flow meter if I really cared to find out. I also have irrigation water for the lawn and flowers. With three kids, elec dishwasher, and a firm belief that toliets were made to be flushed after each and every use we probabaly use about average.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

We also have a well, and we also can't make an accurate guess as to how much we use. But I'd say we probably use less than a family of four because there are only two of us now.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Well, before I fixed a leak in our main incoming line last month, we were being charged for 56,000 gallons a month. Haven't got our latest bill for a full leak free month, so I'm curious to see.

The LOML insists on 2 long showers a day, so I'm sure we're still above average.

While it doesn't excuse the excessive showering, we don't have to worry much about water here...except when there's too much of it.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I have no idea. Minium when I was on city water was 3500 gallons and my wife and the only time we exceeded that was one summer we were gone for two weeks and somebody stole our water.

Now we are on a well. But I'd guess we are about average or a little below.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I have no Idea as we are not on water meters here. We will be in the next 25 years as a legislator from SO Cal passed a law requiring all cities and towns in Calif. to have water meters. Sacramento's city charter prohibited meters as we got our water out of the two rivers that flow through Sacramento. The newer homes have or are getting them as they are built. Those of us in the older part of the city and county will be phased in over the next 25 years. Very expensive and alot of water mains go through the backyards and will have to be moved to allow instalation and reading of meters. There are only two of us now so probably not to much, but would be interested to find out. I doubt if I will be around to see it.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  And even though some of our universities have still been still watering their synthetic turfs, most of us can no longer wash cars, pressure wash things, fill fountains, or water our lawns (press release).
                  I knew before I even clicked that link that I would be proud!

My parents live in NC and my Dad is making a trip up here just to buy hay for his horses. Hay is demanding $7-8 per bale in NC right now.

Jeff (on a well no idea on consumption)

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

Living in CA we have always had drought conditions, the difference is that CA is engineered to live with very little rainfall.

my water bill says we use 43 CCF = 4300 cubic feet = 32,164 gallons. that sounds like way to much for 2 people who live fairly water conscious. We do have a dish washer and clothes washer, I also have an irrigation system for my yard.

are you guys sure you aren't reading cubic feet thinking it's gallons?
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Mods, are you able to add "No idea / Well water" as an option?

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      my water bill says we use 43 CCF = 4300 cubic feet = 32,164 gallons. . . .are you guys sure you aren't reading cubic feet thinking it's gallons?
                      Weird -- it definitely says gallons. (Check the press release link about half way down.) Are you use it's not 4.3 CCF? I read on another site that the average water consumption in CCF is 8.5.
                      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Sam Conder
                        It's on your water bill.
                        My water bill has the last 12 months history on it.

average 6241
                        high 8300 (sept)
                        low 4500 (Aug)
                        that didn't make any sense...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

I forgot that my bill if for 2 months. it definatly says 43 ccf, they charge $2.03249 per ccf and the billed amount matches.

my wife pays the bills, I've never paid attention to my usage before.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

I could not find an option for adding "no idea" to it. It may be in some underneath options that only Sam has access to, but not sure. I think that some things are not editable, only delete-able.

AS to the water useage - I have no idea also. Our monthly water bill in my home town of Tunica, MS has been $3.00 a month for about 10 years. It is going up next year to $12.00 a month and that is for unlimited home usage.

That price includes garbage and sewage! Anyone care to guess why it is so cheap? (hint: You can bet your money on it.)

Anyone want to retire there?
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eweu
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Aug 2006
                              • Silicon Valley, CA

We were just billed for 30 CCF (22,440 gallons) for August and September. That's down from 45 CCF last year in the same period, which I'm pretty happy with.

Tom, we get charged $2.1745 per CCF. No fair! And 40% of our water in Santa Clara county actually comes from here.

We've been trying to cut back on water usage as much as possible for a family of five and it seems to be working. We use drip irrigation everywhere we can and we try to plant California natives. The best advice, though, is "if it's yellow it's mellow; if it's brown flush it down." Really works!

Comment

Working...