• Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by radhak
    Finally found out that we used 6 units last month, and by diligently searching their website, know now that's 6000 gallons = $10.09 (1.62 per gallon first 5000 gallons, $1.99 / g for next 5000).
    Wow... Our rates start at $4/1000 gallons for water plus $4/1000 for sewer and increase from there when you hit usage plateaus of a few thousand gallons up to $12/ 1000 gallons.

However, this is not normal for the metro area, it's about seven times higher than the next city over. The local city council (who sets the rates) have indicated that it's higher because you need more usage to gain economy of scale, but it's also aggressively step priced to keep usage low... (better stop before this becomes a political rant )

My usage is either 1000, or 2000 gallons per month in the winter (1K resolution on the meter). In the summer that generally goes up to 3-4K for watering the garden and trees (and occasionally the lawn). My all-time peak was 13K when I had the irrigation system put in and incorrectly programmed the system for 4x the amount of intended watering.

This is for 2 people, and 300Lbs of dog. With a baby due in a couple weeks that usage may need to increase for additional laundry/cleaning/whatever but I'm guessing it won't be too bad until he's older.

Kristofor.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by axa
      8 to 9 ccf per quarter for me and my wife.

im not bleeding heart environmentalist or anything as such.
      But I just dont see how people can let themselves use so much.
      I agree with you. I had no idea I was using so much. in fact I don't think that I am, I am curious if there is something wrong with my meter. I have a small yard, i don't water too much. my wife and I take short showers. 3-4 loads of laundry per week, 2-3 loads of dishes per week. I only wash the cars every couple of months. we are only home in the evenings so there isn't a lot of sinks running or toilet flushing.
      If I am actually using that much water I am angry that I allowed myself to use that much.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

I finally dug up a water bill to see how much we use. It's just my wife and I plus three large dogs and we used between 7,000 and 10,000 gallons/month over the summer. We don't water the lawn often, but we planted lots of new trees and shrubs that require lots of water. She also does lots of laundry to wash dog towels, and bedding. My bill for water, sewer, and trash collection is around $250 for two months.

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

2 people, LOML + me, last year aprox 130cubic meter, that's aprox. 34,350 gallons i.e. 2862.5 gallons per month. It was quite a bit more, about 40%, before we renovated the bathroom a couple of years ago and put in a new 6liter/flush(about 6.34 quarts)toilet.

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...