• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Anyone Have A Shop Cat?

I know a lot of y'all have dogs to keep you company in the shop, but I'm a cat person. Do any of you have a shop cat?

I've been wondering how well a cat and a wood shop would get along for some time now, but the question has possibly taken on a bit more urgency. Last night, as I was finishing up my bike ride, I spotted a tiny kitten in the weeds by the side of the road and ended up taking him home. I now either need to find it a home, or possibly turn it into a shop cat. (We already have three in the house, one quite elderly, so that's not an option.)

My two concerns about having a cat in the shop are that the noise might freak the cat out, and -- far worse -- that it might jump up onto a tool while it was running.

So ... anyone have a shop cat?
    Larry
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Well I've never had my cat in the shop, but I couldn't imagine a cat ever going near an operating power tool. Turn on the vacum, and my scaredy cat gets the heck outta there...

Comment

• jspelbring
      Established Member
      • Nov 2004
      • Belleville, IL, USA.
      • Craftsman 22114

Shop Ferret

A shop cat sounds OK - I've had my ferrets come and visit a couple of times (uninvited), but they're way too curious to be around power tools.

I could use a cat at the moment - I think I've got mice living in my garage (currently undergoing conversion to a dedicated shop).
      To do is to be.

Comment

• thrytis
        • May 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

First, four cats are way too many, and only an insane person (like the LOML) would have that many. I would suggest seeking a good psychatrist.

I have a pet door between the house and the garage (shop), so the cats can come and go as they please into the shop. Only two regularly go out there, and only one of those will hang out while i'm out there. He does make a quick exit when any power tools come on, but not so fast that he would injure himself running across a spinning blade. He is a bit of a chicken anyways.

As long as the cat has someplace to retreat to that it would feel safe, i think it'll be okay to have a shop cat. If you don't have any office or separate room, i would suggest building a cat house for it to hide in, and sound insulate it with carpet or other insulation. The first time you start up some machinery, have someone there with it near the house petting it (not holding it!) to give it a little sense of security. A cat house up high where it could peek out and see what you are doing while still being mostly hidden might help.

Good luck!
        Last edited by thrytis; 09-14-2007, 10:40 AM.
        Eric

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

do you have feline ear protection?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            do you have feline ear protection?
            i think we should add a dust mask to that aswell

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              Well I've never had my cat in the shop, but I couldn't imagine a cat ever going near an operating power tool. Turn on the vacum, and my scaredy cat gets the heck outta there...
              Our Siamese is just the opposite, turn on the vacuum cleaner and he comes a running. He just loves to be vacuumed. Turn on my tools and its a totally different story. He wants no part of being around when I'm in the shop if any of the tools are running. Go figure.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Ask Ken. he grows them in his Cherry pile if I remember rightly.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Popeye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Woodbine, Ga
                  • Grizzly 1023SL

My three cats have unlimited access to the shop via pet doors. If they're comfortable the noise doesn't seem to bother them. As a rule though they don't generally hang out in the shop when I'm working. As long as they don't learn to turn on tools then they're welcome.
                  I don't leave things that can be knocked over and damaged laying around for them to mess with. Spread out plans are not a good idea either. Pat
                  Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

This may not be a very good answer, but I suppose how well a cat would do in a woodshop would depend on the cat.

I have a fat, long-haired house cat that likes a lot of attention and gets in the middle of things when I'm working inside - I don't think that she'd work out well in my shop. She'd probably knock over stain, climb on assemblies that I've just put finish on, etc.

My dad's "shop" that he manages is probably 40,000+ sq.ft. with dozens of guys working various presses, mills, and all sorts of other tools. About 7 years ago, they "adopted" a stray cat that wandered into their shop. They feed the cat, etc., but it pretty much keeps to itself. If the cat is hungry or wants petted, it will let you know - but it doesn't get in the way. It takes care of all of the mice anywhere near the property. When the garage doors start to close each night, the cat makes sure it gets into the shop before the last door closes. Everyone respects the cat and jokes that the cat is on the payroll like everyone else. It's really pretty neat to see.
                    Bill

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by os1kne
                      This may not be a very good answer, but I suppose how well a cat would do in a woodshop would depend on the cat.
                      I think that's exactly right, and I guess I knew that even as I was typing my OP.

A couple folks have mentioned vacuuming. With our three cats, one is totally indifferent to the vacuum cleaner, another is wary around it but tolerant, the third is immediately under the couch when she sees the vac so much as come out of the closet. So how a given cat would react to the noise in a shop is anybody's guess until you try it. One possible advantage in this case is that the kitten is only a few weeks old; if it grows up in a shop environment, it might adapt just fine.

The comments about hearing and dust protection may have been tongue in cheek, but are actually valid concerns that I'd not thought about.

I appreciate all the input. If I can find this kitten a good home, the problem will go away, but having done that a number of times, I already know that it won't be easy ...
                      Larry

Comment

• docrowan
                        • Mar 2007
                        • New Albany, MS
                        • BT3100

We've wound up with a "porch" cat. I was highly resistant at first, but my stay-at-home wife and four year old daughter overruled me. I have to admit it's worked out fine. Lucy (she was on the loose - get it?) keeps to herself a lot, and seems to disappear under my shop at times. More power to her in whatever she finds under there. I haven't seen her in my shop yet, but I've barely been in there myself since July.
                        - Chris.

Comment

• gwyneth
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LarryG
                          One possible advantage in this case is that the kitten is only a few weeks old; if it grows up in a shop environment, it might adapt just fine.

The comments about hearing and dust protection may have been tongue in cheek, but are actually valid concerns that I'd not thought about.

I appreciate all the input. If I can find this kitten a good home, the problem will go away, but having done that a number of times, I already know that it won't be easy ...
                          I have met auto-shop cats, body shop cats, several farm implement repair cats, one semi truck service cat, and a couple of recycling station cats.

A box insulated with carpet--i.e., the cat's office--is a good idea.

Comment

• mycatisretarded
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • newton, nc, USA.

Now an outdoors cat. She always refused to put the tools away and clean up after herself in the shop.
                            Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG

half TIC, half serious.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...