What's your choice for shop entertainment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

What's your choice for shop entertainment?

Cheeky's post about the Tivoli sound system being on sale got me thinking. What do yo folks do for a sound system in your shops? Personally, I have one of the $30 boom-boxes that plays tapes (I still have a pile of those), CD's and an AM/FM radio. The upside is the price and the varied formats for audion play. The downside is that the controls are a pain - more because I'm old and I'm used to separate on/off switching - and the radio doesn't have presets as well as the tuning indicator is small. I've taken to putting small dots above and below it to quickly roll to my three favorites. So, how about you?
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Music CD's, sports talk radio or OSU football on Saturday's
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

I started with a TEAC receiver and a set of the Optimus bookshelf speakers (garage sale find, impressive little speakers). That setup didn't have a cd player or remote tho', so when the daughter moved out she left behind a POS Sharp bookshelf system that I swapped in for the TEAC and kept the Optimus speakers. Sounds decent, not great, but having the remote is really handy.

So now that I did all that, I still don't use CD's. It's either a local Rock station on the tuner or I pump my ipod thru an FM transmitter and Rock to that.
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I listen to oldies or 70's-80's rock n roll on an old CD boombox/speakers my daughter abandoned because the CD player got flakey.
        Mostly listen to FM radio and this one has a remote and presets, a big plus.
        Suspended the speakers from the rafters pointing towards the center of the shop-- not bad for the price.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

"What's your choice for shop entertainment?"

- woodworking, tool setup, shop layout, testing, sharpening, putzing, thinking, head scratching (etc.) ...
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have an old laptop computer on which I sometimes play CDs (disposable copies burned from my collection) through a pair of powered speakers.

Mostly, though, I entertain myself the same way Scott (Dustmight) does. I'll play a few CDs when I'm just puttering around aimlessly and/or not making a lot of noise with power tools. But when I'm seriously working, I generally don't have any music going.

(I've toyed with the idea of getting XM radio so I can listen to Reds games. Still thinking about that one.)
            Larry

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Most of the time I'm making too much noise to listen to anything. Besides, the last thing I need is for something to distract me around a bunch of fast moving blades and bits.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Usually I have the music off, so I can concentrate. I will play some C&W, Bluegrass, or oldies when I take a break or having lunch.

Wife won't let me have high kickin' dancers.

Comment

• Dale In Corona
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2005
                  • Corona, CA, USA.

Sometimes I don't bother with anything because I know that I will be running the equipment all day and wont be able to hear anything over the noise that those machines make.

If I am finishing, or assembling, or cleaning, or some equally "quiet" task I will often have on either my boom box or my ham radio tuned to the local repeater.

Dale
                  Last edited by Dale In Corona; 08-23-2007, 10:17 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Uh, Pioneer 5.1 Dolby 600 watt receiver with 4 speakers plus subwoofer connected to a DirecTV TIVO. Guess I better throw in the 25" tv too.
                    I do have 60+ episodes or Marks on the TIVO, that's woodworking!

(All hand-me-downs from upgrades in the house)

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Using the absolute epitomy of a POS boombox, I listen to NPR or Bob Brinker's MoneyTalk.

JR
                      JR

Comment

• movnup
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • Seattle
                        • BT3000

I reformated the hard drive and coverted a P4 computer with a 21" monitor to a media jukebox. There's enough MP's to play 23 days straight without hearing the same song, bose speakers w/ sub running though a seperate amp, and WiFi wireless so I can look something up or have it on screen when I'm building projects e.g. internet radio, bt3, mp3, dvd, internet tv, cd's, e-mail, etc.
                        Last edited by movnup; 08-23-2007, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• ragswl4
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Winchester, Ca
                          • C-Man 22114

750 watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 player. I turn it up loud enough that I can hear Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage over the screaming of the machinery. Nothin like conservative talk radio to keep your ole heart pumpin. When I need a comedy fix I listen to NPR.
                          RAGS
                          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                          sigpic

Comment

• mater
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • SC, USA.

I use a Dewalt radio. Most of the time though I am not paying any attention to it.
                            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• goslin23
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Richmond, TX
                              • Rigid TS3650

I have a crappy am/fm/cd boombox tuned to the classic rock station that has a weak signal where I live or The Buzz (new rock) because of the better reception. I have the speakers ready for when I find that reciever at a garage sale or flea market though. I do have quite the mp3 collection on my computer and I'm contemplating building a machine for the garage to access it through WiFi.
                              Last edited by goslin23; 08-23-2007, 12:22 PM.
                              If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

Working...