• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Can't Decide - Need Help

I'm at the point right now of needing a new vehicle. I have a '97 Chevy Blazer LT. I've had it about 4 years and things are starting to go. I really like the truck, and it has every option. But, the old question of whether to put the money into an old vehicle or buy new is haunting me.

I really need a vehicle for it's utility. I carry the dogs to the vet, make supply runs, so a two seat Ferrari is out of the question (ha, ha). I got the two seat anxiety solved in the '80's with a Porsche 911 and after that a Turbo. Yup, kinda got it out of my system along with the costs of the thrill. But, I haven't lost the desire to have something sporty and satisfying to my right foot.

As for heavy hauling, I have a 4'x8' flatbed trailer for when I can't get delivery. I don't want a pick-up. I've resigned myself to an SUV. I'm thinking something really different just for the grins, like a Hummer, or a Trailblazer SS, or maybe even a Jeep Commander with the Hemi. Considering also the Durango with a Hemi.

I would like something at least the size of what I've got or maybe a little larger. I don't drive a lot, so gas mileage isn't really a consideration. The wife and I are going out this weekend to see what we can scrounge up. Of course if I was realistic, I should stick with something basic like an Explorer, or a Pathfinder. We had use of an Infinity FX35 when wife's car went in for service. Cool SUV, very fast and handled like a sports car.

I gotta make up my mind pretty quick, and my thoughts are that this most likely will be my last vehicle. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Just went thru that, C'man. Dumped way too much money into my old Dakota and decided that payments would be a better option. I stayed with the trucks, going to a Ram. I haven't driven the Durango, but if they are styled on the inside similar to the Rams the comfort level is near the top.

As to the hemi, all the reviews have been favorable since it was reintroduced.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

can't decide....

You might like the features of the Chevy Suburban, Tahoe or something like that. Hard to beat for the money...good vehicles,good ride, comfortable.
      I had an older Suburban for several years, and sold it to buy my Silverado
      pick up....really like those Chevy trucks! I sold the Suburban to one of my step sons...he really likes it and still uses it everyday in his business for work
      and hunting would not get rid of it...and it is an '84 model! eezlock

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Your tastes may differ, but I am so far real pleased with the '07 Pilot I bought a bit more than 2 months ago...

Comment

• Sam Conder
          Woodworker Once More
          • Dec 2002
          • Midway, KY
          • Delta 36-725T2

Porsche Cayenne Turbo. No compromise.
          Sam Conder
          BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• WayneJ
            • Jan 2004
            • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

We had your problem a few months back. Being an ex ford tech we stick with fords. The wife opted foe the new ford crossover, the EDGE.She loves it. Its quicker than her 03 explorere was and real comfortable and handles real well.Realy big inside,and more so with the seat folded. I still have my Ranger pick up for any big haulen.Always wanted a Hummer tho but could'nt talk her into it.
            Wayne
            Wayne J

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

No doubt about it... Corvette. And hire an assistant with a truck.

Comment

• prlundberg
                Established Member
                • May 2006
                • Minnesota
                • Craftsman 21829

My 4Runner is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Not the nicest, but easily the most reliable.

Of course, if it ever did start having problems, parts and service aren't cheap.

My wife insisted on a minivan for her when the baby came and despite my reluctance I've actually found the Grand Caravan has come in very handy. Much more versatile and cost effective than an SUV if you don't do any off-roading, plus it rides and handles better. Towing is not great but it's no wimp either. Keep in mind that many new SUVs are not really trucks anyway.

Test drove a new RAV-4 before we bought the van, that is a slick, fun vehicle, but just too small for me.
                Phil

Comment

• p8ntblr
                  • Jan 2007
                  • So Cal
                  • Craftsman 22114

Gots to go with the Jeep.
                  Attached Files
                  -Paul

Comment

• prlundberg
                    Established Member
                    • May 2006
                    • Minnesota
                    • Craftsman 21829

The heck with Jeeps, you know this is what you really want...real men aren't afraid to haul groceries...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by prlundberg; 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM. Reason: didn't finish
                    Phil

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you need... an air car !

Give you a great excuse to buy a really big compressor...
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by Sam Conder
                        Porsche Cayenne Turbo. No compromise.
                        Plus one on this!!!

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        you need... an air car !

Give you a great excuse to buy a really big compressor...
                        Hook that compressor up to your air guns and I'm sure the nails will go all the way in, and probably thru.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

+1 on the Suburban. Mine's a '94 and coming up on 200000 miles. Dang near indestructible! It doesn't look too pretty, but what the heck, it's a utility vehicle. It's hauled everything from a full load of mulch to eight Boy Scouts.

Of course, the payments will be a little more than your current vehicle repairs.....

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

My understanding is the current Hummer (H3 Version), is based on the Suburban, since you've mentioned a Hummer.

Is this a company vehicle? Might find out if the tax rebate is still around.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• p8ntblr
                              • Jan 2007
                              • So Cal
                              • Craftsman 22114

H3 looks too small and has deviated too much from the original IMO. Looks not much bigger than my sister's Highlander.
                              -Paul

Comment

Working...