• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Is Starbucks Good or Evil?

The recent coffee thread and a recent conversation at work got me wondering what everyone here thinks about Starbucks -- the company and the coffee. It seems like when people love it the really love it and when they hate it they basically slander it.

What are your thoughts?
    Exceptionally good. I love 'em and wouldn't go anywhere else.
    9.65%
    Pretty good. But there are other jewels out there, too.
    30.70%
    Debatable. I don't really like the company but it's good in a pinch.
    8.77%
    Not so good, but I've been known to go there from time to time.
    28.07%
    Evil. They crush local business and turn people into zombies.
    22.81%
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Don't know much about Starbucks, but I was surprised to learn when listening to NPR a few months ago that they offer health insurance to all their employees. I think that is terrific. Makes that $4 cup of Joe a little easy to stomach (actually, I don't drink coffee but have thought of starting since hearing about the health insurance--I like supporting companies that support their employees).

Comment

• Otter
      • Nov 2003
      • Cumming, GA, USA.
      • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Stock holder and customer....what more can I say
      All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

One thing I noticed recently is that a large -- pardon me -- Venti iced coffee costs more than a Venti coffee with no ice. Hmm... This would lead me to believe that the ice is more expensive than the coffee...

And my coworker makes the point: "Why 'venti'? Sure it's Italian for twenty and it's a twenty ounce cup, but haven't the Italians gone metric?"
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• sscherin
          • Dec 2003
          • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Not a big fan but it'll do when nothing else is avaliable.

Keep in mind I got a habbit while living in Seattle.. We had 2 independents right down the block from our office that put starbucks to shame.

Now I'm in colorado.. I've only found 1 place that can turn out a decent latte. It's not Starbucks.. They are even worse here. maybe it's the altitude but it's way to bitter for my taste.

It's wierd going from coffee shacks on every empty parking lot to "hey look Burritos and espresso!" What a wierd combination.

I may be moving home to the land of caffene soon.. Waiting to see how that last interview turned out.
          William's Law--
          There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
          cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I love that they are having problems because of expanding too fast. When I finally realized how much they are around was walking in front of one in downtown LA and being able to see two more. That was wrong. I've given up on the caffeine. $4 a day for coffee buys a bunch of tools.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

When in the States, I rarely go to a Starbucks, but here I go two or four times a month and enjoy a Latte. I do that mainly because that is a convenient meeting place.

I don't like their coffees, - burnt taste for me. And I like strong coffees such as a good Louisiana style, (except for Cajun demitasse made by an elderly Cajun).
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Redford MI.
                • Craftsman 21829

Where is the sorry never go there don't care vote?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                  Where is the sorry never go there don't care vote?
                  That's me, too.
                  But you gotta admire a company that made a market where none was before... designer coffee, five bucks a pop. Sheesh!
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ejs1097
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I voted evil, not for the company but for their product. Each of us have different coffee tasts, personally I can't stand that thick super strong taste and excess caffine. way way too much caffine. A small cup gives me uncontrolable shakes and 'nervousness' for hours. Surely couldn't work in the shop after that stuff.

To each their own, but I don't personally care for it.
                    Eric
                    Be Kind Online

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I voted "pretty good". I like their drinks when I go to the store, but when I make my own coffee, I buy it from A Southern Season, which is a gourmet market here in Chapel Hill.

I get a kick out of all the bashing. I agree that some large companies -- especially publicly traded ones -- can value profit over ethics, but even though Starbucks squashs a lot of charming little local coffee shops, I think they're pretty responsible, offering fair trade, shade grown, health insurance, etc.

Comment

• Adele
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Midway, KY, USA.

Don't drink coffee. But I LOVE a LATTE and nobody does it like Starbuck!!! (Personally I think it is liqued crack).

I think I need a fix!

Adele

Comment

• ragswl4
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Winchester, Ca
                          • C-Man 22114

Don't like their coffee (straight) and wouldn't pay the high prices. Maybe drinking Navy coffee for 20 years altered my sense of taste but the Starbuck's regular coffee turns my stomach.
                          RAGS
                          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                          sigpic

Comment

• RayintheUK
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2003
                            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

My first Starbucks was one overlooking LA Airport (near to a "Trader Joe's" if I recall correctly). That was years ago and in the intervening period, the company have set up over here too.

I had high hopes, but was I disappointed. Most of the ones I've tried in the UK are like a fairy tale - Grimm.

Ray.
                            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

I like Starbucks well enough. I have a favorite one about 10 miles away - a good distance for a bike ride. It has a nice patio where you can get sun or shade depending on your mood. The girl watching is pretty fair for a suburban town.

FWIW - a "tall drip" at Starbucks is ~$1.50.

I do not understand nor do I appreciate people who order items with more than one modifier. Tall, decaf, mocha, iced, seasonal modifier. Uh uh. Too long to order and WAY too long for the barrista to make.

We have a local shop that roasts their own beans. Fresh roasting makes a huge difference in taste. It still costs a buck and a half per cup, though.

Hank's comments are very interesting. The first time I went to Starbucks in Japan, it was bit unnerving, but Starbucks is the salesman's friend. It is a great place to rally before a sales call, particularly in an urban environment. See the thread about whether you are an early or late person. They have wireless access and bathrooms, too!

Ray, I know that Starbucks in Westchester very well! LOML uses it as the staging location when she picks me up at LAX.

I think I'll head to the "break room" (my kitchen) right now. We've got Kirkland brand "roasted by Starbucks" in the pot now!

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...