• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

There is nothing like an espresso pulled by a really experienced barrista. A long time ago in Seattle, you could get that at Starbucks. Now they serve bizarre,charred espresso, pulled by part-time employees. There is a huge difference. I think you're generally better off finding a local place with a barrista who's been at it for a few years (if you can find one).

However, I think Starbucks serves a very competent cup of drip. They do a better job than most, depending on the day's roast. The only time they screw it up is when they serve French roast, which tasted like an ash tray.

Even with the drip coffee, the caffeine content is all over the map. I read that it can vary by as much as 200% from day to day. Some days you get a cup of rocket fuel that has you shaking and sweating for an hour.

I'm not the first to say it, but how can you fault a business plan for legally selling an addictive substance?

Comment

• tuttlejr
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

Lewis Black has a great routine about Starbucks. Real classic one.

For the record, I do not go to Starbucks even when there is no other place to go like in an airport. Prices too high and the coffee is mediocre.
      Bob Tuttle

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I like to support local business and we have plenty of local coffee shops for me to waste my money at. I keep that idea in mind with most of my purchases and hate when goods/services become single source from a large company.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I drink COFFEE! I buy Starbucks beans , used to by them pre ground before we bought a grinder until LOML learned that they will grind for free no matter where you have purchased your Starbucks beans. I have also dealt with them as a driver delivering goods to them, as a dispatcher making receiving appointments. They are a top notch outfit! They treat delivering drivers like friends inviting them to fill their thermos and/or their coffee cup, always offering to make a fresh pot when needed.

I also have a "brother" who is an employee in their corp. offices. Man are his perks nice. He's often tossing me a free pound of beans. He is thinking of a cross country move in the near future and Starbucks will let him transfer to the new place. Sounds to me like a very accomodating employeer.

All that said I do not like buying coffee from them already brewed. I think it is too hot and too strong!
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• thestinker
            • Oct 2005
            • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Before we got the kids the wife and I would go 3 or 4 nights a week for frapachinos and moccas. Now we just go ever so often. The loss of 1 income and toting small ones makes you really justify those 3 and 4 dollar drinks. However, when it comes to home brew...I will only buy Starbucks and usualy the house blend. I have gotten where I can't stand stuff like Folgers or Maxwellhouse. I am always on the lookout for a good new coffee, or coffee house. There just arent that many arround here, and as far as I know the Starbucks is by far the closest and most convient.

RS
            Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• AndyF
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2003
              • Victoria, Texas, USA.

Starbucks is *too* close

I have a Starbucks literally 20ft from my office door.

I nearly went broke the first two months they were open.

Guess I got burned out. I'll get one every other month or two.

Andy

Comment

• Woodboy
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2004
                • Lakewood, Colorado.
                • BT3100

Hooked for life?

I came late to the party. I was always an anti-Starbucks guy and only drank regular coffee at their competitors. McDonald’s makes superior cup of coffee in a great cup and they even pre-sugar and cream it for you.

Then about a week ago I ordered a vanilla latté and a pieced of banana bread at Starbucks. I now have modified that to a half pump version, but I have had one every day for the last week. I am hooked.
                "Life is tough, where a cup"
                Dennis Miller

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Never tried Starbuck's, and probably never will. Just a pot of Maxwell House does it for me.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Popeye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Woodbine, Ga
                    • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by ragswl4
                    Maybe drinking Navy coffee for 20 years altered my sense of taste but the Starbuck's regular coffee turns my stomach.
                    Ahhh, nothing like midwatch coffee from the engine room. It'd keep you up all day. NO coffee is worth $4 a cup. Pat
                    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Personally, I'm not a coffee guy. I just never got used to the taste, good, bad, or indifferent. However, I had a Cuban study buddy in grad school who made Cuban espresso one night when we were studying REALLY late. I didn't realize that what she was making was basically caffeine in sugar syrup, so I had about six cups.

Three days later I finally slept. I'm pretty sure I ended up waxing the roof shingles when I ran out of stuff to do....

Now teas or beers, I'm your man...

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                        • Nov 2004
                        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                        • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by Popeye
                        Ahhh, nothing like midwatch coffee from the engine room. It'd keep you up all day. NO coffee is worth $4 a cup. Pat
                        Plain ol' coffee for me. The only engine room coffee I had was during my 60 day attitude adjustment period in #1 main on Forrestal many many years ago.

Comment

• mater
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • SC, USA.

I tried a cup of their regular coffee a couple times. I didn't think it was all that great.
                          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• parnelli
                            • Aug 2004
                            • bt3100

I'm not a big fan of their coffee, but they're hard to escape. According to their website there are 47 Starbucks within 10 miles of my house.

My old house... 87!!!!

Seriously, how can they still make money with all these stores?

Comment

• prlundberg
                              Established Member
                              • May 2006
                              • Minnesota
                              • Craftsman 21829

I don't drink much coffee, but when I do, I prefer to go to local establishments.

My issue with Starbucks is they almost always put their shops within a block or two of established coffee shops even when there are numerous locations available where they could establish a new customer base.

Their coffee is good, but it's nothing special IMO.

Too many cookie-cutter chain establishments make life less interesting. I usually try to keep my money as local as I can.
                              Phil

Comment

• vaking
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2005
                                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3100-1

I voted "pretty good" but not for their coffee. The coffee is average in quality and definitely overpriced. The main attraction of starbucks is in the atmosphere. My nearest strabucks is always packed with college students, who buy one cup of coffee and then spend half a day doing homework on laptops. It is a meeting place, coffee is just an excuse. Yes, their coffee is overpriced but I don't think charging too much for coffee is illegal. If customers are paying - they must be doing something right. I respect the company for offering health insurance to all employees even though most of their employees are college students. I also respect them for standing up to union pressure - college students who work for them do not need union representation.
                                Alex V

Comment

Working...