• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Bzzzzzzz!

I went passed a barn today, that had a huge sign covering one complete side. It read something like "Get rid of cell phones. Save the bees."

There have been reports that the frequencies related to cell phone use, confuse bees, and they can't find their way back to the hive. They then die. I don't know how accurate these reports are, but when I heard it, I wondered how many people would be willing to give up their cell phones to save the bees. That would be a big inconvenience. So my question is, Are you willing to do without your cell phone to save them (if the claim has substantial data to prove it to be right)?

Ed
    I'd get rid of my cell phone right away.
    33.33%
    I can't do without my cell phone. I'll keep it.
    35.90%
    I'll get rid of it after my contract runs out.
    7.69%
    I don't like bees. I'll keep mine, and buy another for my kids.
    23.08%
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

Not true, all speculation on the parts of reporters (cell phones just *now* are causing a problem??). The scientists believe it's more than likely a viral infection that is causing them to die off.

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

I was just reading about the honeybee problem the other day -- http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...eut/index.html

I think I'd prefer to keep the cell phone, but reduce usage to a minimum -- use it for emergencies and the like.

What I don't get this: The beekeepers lose the bees out at farms in the middle of nowhere. Seems like there probably wouldn't be a lot of cell phones or towers in the same places they're losing the bees... The phones probably do more damage to our brains than the bees...
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

I still don't have one ...... how do I vote?

Todd

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

can I stop driving and save the dinosaurs?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MilDoc

Haven't had one in years and don't want one for as little as I'd ever use it.

Comment

• Jaden
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Trenton, MI
              • BT3100

There are also reports that cow flatulence is destoying the ozone layer.....so do your part to preserve the ozone.......eat a cow

Steve

(yes......this joke stolen directly from Ron White)
              "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

While I agree that the chances are slim that cell phone are causing the problem, the question was "IF there is evidence to prove it to be true". If it were true, I would have no problem giving up my phone. I think having fruits, vegtables and nuts is a much better thing.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• eddy merckx
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Western WA
                  • Shop Fox Cabinet

I would happily give up my cel phone for any legitimate sounding reason.

Eddy

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

How about this, can we just give each bee a miniature cell phone with GPS to help them find their way home? See, Modern technology can solve any problem.

Oh, darn, just got to wondering where they would plug them in to recharge at night. so much for that idea.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-25-2007, 09:35 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      can I stop driving and save the dinosaurs?
                      Exactly!! Although there is plenty of production agriculture in areas without much cell usage, there is also much agriculture close to mega population centers.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

I agree there is still a very big IF involved, but....

Those making light of this might not be aware that the honeybee population has been reduced in the last several decades by loss of habitat to the point that bees have to be trucked to large agricultural areas to pollinate the crops that we depend on. Now for several years those large commercial hive colony owners that get paid the truck their hives to those areas are very rapidly loosing their bees for 'some' reason.
                        Scoff at the possibility that cell towers/phones are part of the problem if you want, don't expect sympathy from me when you start complaining about low food supplies and high prices.
                        There's something wrong out there guys, and not just with bees. Wake up.

Comment

Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • League City, Tx, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          How about this, can we just give each bee a miniature cell phone with GPS to help them find their way home? See, Modern technology can solve any problem.

Oh, darn, just got to wondering where they would plug them in to recharge at night. so much for that idea.
                          If we have that kind of technology then we can assume that we also have the technology to be able to strap a little generator on their back powered by their wings .

Comment

• DaveS
                            • May 2003
                            • Minneapolis,MN

I was thinking that maybe the bees got outsourced.

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I guess it's easy to make light of this mysterious loss of bees. Perhaps we don't really care, it's a lot like the other intrusions we have forced on the planet.

Hey, I just bought our first cell phone last week. I haven't used it yet and really don't plan on it, but with traveling much more than usual this last year it might come in handy if I have a breakdown someplace. But beyond that, a cell phone is the last thing in the world I need or want. Other than that, they seem to be a scourge on society IMO.

How in the world did we ever survive prior to ten years ago. Can any of us imagine how difficult life must have been to drive down the highway, work on a job, or take a walk through the neighborhood when we were all alone (even with a good friend or a loved one by our side) It's extremely frightening to think that if the cell phone went away, we might be forced to talk to the person right next to us, or pay attention to the road, or even focus on the job without the need to be interupted by that need to press the plastic to our ear.

Well, hopefully we'll discover that the bees have another problem. Otherwise the world will surely plunge into another dark age.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...