• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by BigguyZ
    What say you all? If you're already moving faster than traffic, but aren't the fastest driver on the road, should you move out of the way ASAP regardless of the conditions in the other lanes?
    Yes -- with the proviso that "ASAP" means you make the lane change safely, with adequate clearance to other vehicles and without causing another driver to swerve, slam on his brakes, etc.

It is the responsibility of each vehicle operator to obey all the traffic laws. It is NOT the responsibility of a vehicle operator to "help" the law enforcement authorities regulate the speeds of the other cars on the roads.
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

What say you all? If you're already moving faster than traffic, but aren't the fastest driver on the road, should you move out of the way ASAP regardless of the conditions in the other lanes?
      Yes. I move over to let all faster traffic pass on the left. That's the rule.
      It's not my job to block traffic and enforce any specific speed.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

No, Only once it's safe to do so.

To me, ASAP in this case would cause you to pull in front of someone at an unsafe distance.

Now the idiot will likely cut in front of the car and pass you on the right (while flipping you off), but that is his problem and if he causes an accident in doing so then he is responsible, not you.

Your responsibility is to drive safely REGARDLESS of what other idiots do.

here's a quick quiz for us.

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/goi...18C09035DD8DD4
        Last edited by Russianwolf; 04-17-2007, 03:55 PM.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• MilDoc

So, what kind of driver am I per the above quiz?

"Middle of the road, that’s the favourite place of the Suburban Cruiser. You drive safely, have your car serviced and wash it regularly. However, you tend to find your speed and stick to it rather than driving for the appropriate road conditions, and you get some flak from other drivers as a result."

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

That quiz appears broken. Or it does not allow you to revise - it appears to give me 'Suburban Cruiser' not matter the choices.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by scorrpio
              That quiz appears broken. Or it does not allow you to revise - it appears to give me 'Suburban Cruiser' not matter the choices.
              your right.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• powrguy
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2007
                • Ohio
                • Delta Unisaw

Oh, God....the dreaded mini-van drivers in the high speed lane, with cruise control set at some ridiculous speed compared to the rest of the traffic flow, and REFUSE to move over or get off the cruise.........they are the lowest of the life-forms on public highways, IMHO.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

well well well, dont know where to begin. i was going to post, then decided not to and now just started typing

my take is:
                  a- on the freeways where the traffic is moving at highway speed:
                  the left lane definately needs to be only for over taking and for those moving faster than the general people on the road, especially when there are FOUR lanes! if you are in the left lane and see someone come up behind you, just move over - it isnt the end of the world.

b- on the freeways where the traffic is moving at about 10mph less than speed limit, then it is free for all. take up what ever lane you want.

c- on freeways, trucker and motor homes or people pulling trailer should not be allowed in the leftlane unless passing! i like the rule in ca, helps reduce the backups.

d- city driving is different, you take left turns and right turns, so being in any lane isnt a big deal. HOWEVER, if you intend on going slow or just speed limit and there is room, then surely use the right lane. There are many occasions, when there are large distances between lights and only two lanes and you end up with slow people in both lanes and then you just get stuck. if you see some one going faster, just move over. i honestly do this.

it isnt our job to enforce speed limits, so the idea that i will stay in the left lane to slow others is not the correct thing to do, this only creates road rage and unfortunately sometimes ends up deadly (this too is stupid!). i think we should just respect one another. and if it doesnt cost you anything or hurt you, just move over and let someone pass, we shouldnt be stubburn.

just to give you an example, this happens so frequently. this example will show, that as drivers, we DO NOT realize how our driving habits have on traffic congestion. last weekend we went to campe verde about i think 100 miles north of phoenix, az. the 101 east bound traffic was at full speed, however, i literally had to slam on my brakes when i took the off ramp to 17 north. it was a dead stop. now, it was stop and go all the way to campe verde. there were spots for when it sped up to about 60, then to a stop. even in the 60mph spots, everyone was in the left lane, go figure. by the time i got to the front of this whole mess (i passed on both right and left lanes) there was a semi, a long motor home and a old pickup pulling a really old trailer. they were just competing with one another to see who could get ahead. the guy pulling the trailer was staying in the left lane, the motor home would pull up in front and cross the truck, then he would pass the truck, but on a slope he would slow down and so would the motor home, so the truck would pull infront of the trailer guy and over take the motor home and then as the speed would increase the trailer guy would let the motor home pull in front again and the whole dam* cycle would repeat. now behind them, no one is doing anything but stay in the left lane. this action of just a few drivers basically caused a stop and go senario for about 100 miles behind them (I17 is two lanes eachway from phx to flagstaff about 200 mile).

anyhow, just adding to the pile of opinions ....

Comment

• rbfunk
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Garfield, NJ, USA.

I am a dedicated right laner and use the center lane to pass. I'll use the left lane only to get around a slow poke, usually a semi or motorhome on an upgrade. Oh. I'll use the center lane on stretchs of highway where I know there are lots of on and off ramps. Yeah, I'm an old fudy dudy puttering along at the speed limit to 10 above. I got my fill of left lane, high speed driving when I had red flashing lights and a siren on my ambulance. ( I've got stories to tell about some of that)
                    BTW in NJ there is a way to legaly pass on the right. If I get a minute I'll look up the law.
                    Bob
                    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

Working...