• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by ejs1097
    In PA, there is a law against hanging out in the left lane. If you go more then 1 mile and don't merge over and you aren't passing anyone you can get a ticket. EVEN if you are going over then speedlimit.

In PA, the lawmakers like to reward lawbreakers and this is one example. I get peeved when someone is hanging in the left lane too, but you're not suppose to be going faster then the posted speed in the first place. This just rewards tailgaters.
    Most retarded law ever. I avoid this by ALWAYS passing someone every 100 ft or so. LOL!

Of course this law is in a state that has the shortest on/off ramps in the world. Great effect when everyone is hanging out in the right lane.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
      Of course this law is in a state that has the shortest on/off ramps in the world.
      You need to visit Central Texas if you think Pa. (where I grew up) is bad.

Comment

• MilDoc

In PA, there is a law against hanging out in the left lane.... In PA, the lawmakers like to reward lawbreakers and this is one example...
        Huh? The left lane is for passing only, so if you get a ticket, how is that rewrading lawbreakers? Or did I miss something?

Personally I'd love to see left-lane-no-brains get pulled over and ticketed.

Comment

• backpacker85
          Established Member
          • Sep 2006
          • Dickson, TN
          • BT3100-1

Either someone's reading my mind, or we all seem to have the same intolerance for bad driving habits

I too spend plenty of time in the left lane, but like most, it's usually to pass, and I am always aware of others coming up behind me, and will make way for them.

.....unless (and here goes one of my pet peeves) I get caught in the left lane behind some clown going 4 mph over the limit with the cruise control on, and refuses to speed up to finish a pass. It can take 3 miles for these guys to get clear to pull back in, and there's a string of cars backed up.

Sometimes I wish I had a bigger brush guard on front....
          Ken W.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by backpacker85
            .....unless (and here goes one of my pet peeves) I get caught in the left lane behind some clown going 4 mph over the limit with the cruise control on, and refuses to speed up to finish a pass. It can take 3 miles for these guys to get clear to pull back in, and there's a string of cars backed up.

Yeah. It's a passing lane moron. So your cruise control is on. Hit the gas (still works, get it?), pass, pull over. Of course most of those folks do not pull over even after they eventually pass.

Comment

• Handy Al
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Worthington, OH, USA.
              • BT3100

Idon't think they teach "rules of the road" anymore in drivers ed. It seems like around here in Columbus, many people pass on the right. I can be in the middle lane. Left lane and right lane open. Someone comes up behind and passes on the right.
              "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by backpacker85
                Either someone's reading my mind, or we all seem to have the same intolerance for bad driving habits

I too spend plenty of time in the left lane, but like most, it's usually to pass, and I am always aware of others coming up behind me, and will make way for them.

Or the converse, I'm passing someone in the left at 10 over but someone cruises up on my bumper doing 20 over and can't wait for me to finish my pass (I WON'T cut someone in the right lane off to get out of their way) So they cut off the guy in the right as soon as their bumper is clear (BARELY).

Another idiocy That I see isn't drivers but city planners. 3 lanes going down to 2 in areas that are highly trafficed. Spend the money to widen the road passed the highly trafficed area where the merge won't cause undo congestion.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

You forgot to ask if they live in FL and drive below the speed limit in the left lane, middle lane and every lane. Makes me nuts.
                  Brian
                  Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• scorrpio
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I guess, to them, passing at 0.000001 mph higher speed than middle lane is still passing.

On 3+ lanes I like to stay in the middle lanes, going to left only to pass. My ceiling is usually 10-15mph over limit, and at that speed I am faster than most - which means I am in the left lane a lot. On 2-lane, I am in left lane almost 100%. But I will always pull to the right if someone comes up behind me at higher speed to let them pass - a number of time right into the clutches of the cop just up the road - cause if they are passing ME, they are seriously speeding.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I have a confession. When I encounter one of those guys, and I'm wondering what possess them to stay in the left lane, I'm about 2 seconds away from running him off the road, dragging him out of the car and asking the S.O.B. what's he thinkin'.

Comment

• ejs1097
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MilDoc
                        Huh? The left lane is for passing only, so if you get a ticket, how is that rewrading lawbreakers? Or did I miss something?

Personally I'd love to see left-lane-no-brains get pulled over and ticketed.
                        If the posted speed is 65 and you're doing 69 in the left lane and have people tailgating you because you aren't going fast enough for them, you'll get a ticket for holding the tailgaters up! how can you hold up someone trying to exceede the speed limit? This rewards speeding and tailgating.

This happened to a friend of mine.

The law is stupid, in order to supposedly get a ticket you'd have to be seen by a trooper for over a mile.
                        Eric
                        Be Kind Online

Comment

• rja
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2004
                          • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

On a business trip many years ago to Ogden, Utah, I was driving in the right-hand lane of a freeway and was constantly harassed by other traffic. I was finally told by a local riding with us that the right lane is the fast or passing lane and the left lanes are for slower traffic!!! WTF! Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have one question- If you're driving 7-8 mile over the limit, and your in the left lane- is it your obligation to move out of the way from the tailgating moron who wants to go 20 over the limit? Just this morning I was in the left lane, and moving faster than the right most two. There was this guy in a truck behind me riding my butt the entire time. I eventually moved to the center lane, at a point where it was clear for a decent stretch of the road. I technically could have moved over sooner, but that would mean that I'd be in that lane for all of 10 seconds before I'd have to slow down or move back into the left lane... Which I think increases the chance for accidents. Also, half the time I do go into the center lane I get trapped there behind a slower driver, and it's tough to get back into the left lane b/c no one will let you in!

What say you all? If you're already moving faster than traffic, but aren't the fastest driver on the road, should you move out of the way ASAP regardless of the conditions in the other lanes?

Comment

• ejs1097
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                              I have one question- If you're driving 7-8 mile over the limit, and your in the left lane- is it your obligation to move out of the way from the tailgating moron who wants to go 20 over the limit? Just this morning I was in the left lane, and moving faster than the right most two. There was this guy in a truck behind me riding my butt the entire time. I eventually moved to the center lane, at a point where it was clear for a decent stretch of the road. I technically could have moved over sooner, but that would mean that I'd be in that lane for all of 10 seconds before I'd have to slow down or move back into the left lane... Which I think increases the chance for accidents. Also, half the time I do go into the center lane I get trapped there behind a slower driver, and it's tough to get back into the left lane b/c no one will let you in!

What say you all? If you're already moving faster than traffic, but aren't the fastest driver on the road, should you move out of the way ASAP regardless of the conditions in the other lanes?

this is my point EXACTLY. According to PA law it's more of an offense to hold up a speeder then to speed way to fast. And just like you said, you have to duck into a slower lane. In PA our interstates are mostly 2 lanes and makes it worse then 3 lanes.

I say No to your question. You shouldn't be speeding in the first place so if your behind someone then tough. But in reality these are the yahoos that try to pass you on the right when you don't have a safe distance to pull infront of a car on the right. They have 20 feet between the bumpers and make the dangerous move anyway.

I'm all for more electronic survance of our roadways and issuing tickets via computers.
                              Eric
                              Be Kind Online

Comment

• scorrpio
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Wayne, NJ, USA.

If the posted speed is 65 and you're doing 69 in the left lane and have people tailgating you because you aren't going fast enough for them, you'll get a ticket for holding the tailgaters up! how can you hold up someone trying to exceede the speed limit? This rewards speeding and tailgating.
                                No, it punishes blocking a passing lane. Speeding and tailgating are also considered to be offenses, and dealt with on a separate basis.
                                If you break into someone's house and find out they are growing marijuana, and call the cops on them, you are still guilty of unlawful breaking and entering - that does not mean that laws punishing B&E reward marijuana growers.

Comment

Working...