• DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Remember When?

Take a trip down memory lane. Bill

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jimdandy.../remember.html
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

I won't admit to being able to remember all of it, but I do remember most.

One more: I can remember when Mrs. ***** told you off for something, you didn't dare go home and tell your mum. Not only would you get in trouble for what you did, but you would get in even more trouble because Mrs. **** had to tell you off!
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

Well gotta say I remember all those things.

"One more: I can remember when Mrs. ***** told you off for something, you didn't dare go home and tell your mum. Not only would you get in trouble for what you did, but you would get in even more trouble because Mrs. **** had to tell you off!"

In the little country comunity where I lived it wasn't unheard of for somebody other than your parents to give you a spanking if you were "really" out of line and you'd git another one when you got home. If you were outta line but not way bad, they'd just call your parents and you'd only get the one busting. In my case I lived in fear of the time someone would catch me just messing up a little and saying "aren't you ole Harold Hammond's kid?" I knew they'd be calling him and I'd be getting busted

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

The bad part about some of that is that some of it was so long ago the I forgot some of it already. I had to ask LOML and finally, - oh yeah, now I remember.

I do remember buying 25 cent gas. I never gave the price of gas much of a thought before I started driving (legally) in '62. I didn't give the 55 chevy a thought, but I did dream of the '57 even for a long time after.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Wow....I wasn't born till after most of the big gas chrisis was over with. Much less .25 cent gas
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

I remember all of those things, and miss a lot of them. Gas was usually $.32 here, unless there was a gas war. When I lived in Arkansas in the early 70's the most that I paid for gas was about 17 cents. This came with the green stamps, gold bond stamps or free pany hose. Eh..., I took the stamps.

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • SC, USA.

I remember all as well except I remember gas being .19 a gallon. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
              Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I remember all of them!

Gas wars were common when I started driving, smokes were .19 a pack, coke machines were 6 cents.

And I danced more than once to a beat produced by a razor strap!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Yep, remember every one. Another one I remember was the commercial "Pepsi Cola hits the spot. Twelve full ounces is a lot. Twice as much for a nickel too. Pepsi Cola is the drink for you" . Remember that one?

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Remember them all also. When my wife and I were first dating in the early '60's, she had an old '50 Ford, and would pull into the gas station and get .50 worth of gas a number of times. One station guy finally told her to take her business somewhere else. They came out and pumped the gas for you back then. We still laugh about that every now and then when filling up at $2-3 a gallon.

Those were some good old days. Life was a lot simplier then.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Pappy
                      I remember all of them!

And I danced more than once to a beat produced by a razor strap!

I'd never heard of anyone but me getting the razor strop. My mom was a beautician and kept one in her little basement shop. When she passed it on to my sister, sis cut it into little pieces - she was a blister, obviously

And Bil, thanks for clearing up the panty hose vs stamps issue for us. I g ta little shiver for a second - LOL.

Later,
                      Chiz
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I remember all of them. We even had a "mangle" for pressing clothes. We had that little bowl with the cone shape thingie in the middle for juicing oranges. That's when all phones were black, and had a cloth cord, and a dial on the front. I remember the commercial for Colgate toothpaste and the "Guardall Protective Shield". I remember Babo, the foaming cleanser, Rice Crispy cookies, wide whitewall tires, TV's were black and white, jeans were called dungarees, the Ed Sullivan Show, Buffalo Bob, Hopalong Cassidy, gas wars with .17 cents/gal, cigarettes at the PX were $1.60 a carton, Dean of boys at school had a wood paddle with holes drilled, madras shirts, sock hops in the gym, Hully Gully, Bristol Stomp, Monster Mash, teatherball, clip on skates, Boy's Life magazine, and of course the first "Playboy magazine that I hid under the mattress.

Comment

• DonHo
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                          • Craftsman 21829

I really don't remember how much smokes cost when I was 4 or 5 but it must have been 18 or 23 cents because I remember that when my dad bought them from a machine there would be 2 pennies under the cellophane wraper because the machines didn't make change. I'd get the pennies, good times

DonHo
                          Don

Comment

• TheRic
                            • Jun 2004
                            • West Central Ohio
                            • bt3100

I remember most of those things. I'm still a young pup I guess

I do remember the spanking we would get, for doing something wrong, was nothing compared to the scolding / talking to we got. Looked forward to the spanking, I knew the scolding was over

Double dog dare never made it to this parts. I have asked several other people, even ones older, and they don't remember it. Oh we dared you, and double dared you, triple dared you, but never a double dog dare. I guess we were culturally deprived as kids.
                            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Established Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • League City, Tx, USA.
                              • BT3100

Wow, not many I can rember of those I even had to go look up a few terms "submarine races".

Comment

Working...