Fess-up, who needs to lose weight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 359
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

    #16
    Originally posted by SHADOWFOX

    I am currently at 233# and am afraid that the Shimano Dura Ace WH-7700 wheel set I have on my road bike won't be able to handle it. What do you think? What wheelset do you have on your bike? I need to get a good training wheelset and when I am down below 200# maybe I will put the Shimano wheelset back on my bike.
    !
    Finally a question that I know the answer to! Most all of the high-end wheels are marginal above 200lbs. That includes Mavic, Shimano, Rolf, etc. Don't even think about cheaper light wheels. The old adage is "light, strong, cheap--pick two". If you have to do much cornering and climbing, a hand built set of wheels with 32 spokes front and 36 spokes rear would be good. Just make sure to get DT or Sapim spokes, preferably 14/15 butted with brass nipples.

    Eddy

    Comment

    • leehljp
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • 8803
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

      #17
      I hate to talk about this! But I am 215 at 5' 10". My weight gain started here in Japan of all places when I had two years of classroom language study when I was 39 & 40.

      When I was pastoring in the States, I was out of the office much more than in the office, walking, visiting, ministering. In Japan, I have been in a lot more "classroom" situations, which are not good for me. I did get down to 200 in 2005 by working daily inside the World Expo and being on my feet all day. Need to do more of that.

      One consolation for me is that most people can see a little pot belly on me, very few guess my weight to be what it is.

      I lived in Cajun territory just southwest of New Orleans for 5 years before coming to Japan and those Cajuns taught me how to appreciate good food and not apologize for it!
      Hank Lee

      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

      Comment

      • gary
        Senior Member
        • May 2004
        • 893
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

        #18
        I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
        Gary

        Comment

        • chalkhappens
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2007
          • 14
          • Salt Lake City, Utah
          • Crafstman 21289 (soon)

          #19
          I would like to get under 200lbs. I'm 24 and 6'1" and currently weigh 268. Since I graduated high school the poundage has slowly crept upwards and the waistline outwards. My diet and exercise plan start tomorrow.
          -Cory
          Will work for tools.

          Comment

          • gmack5
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 1972
            • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

            #20
            I'm working on it!

            Last September, I went to the VA medical facility for my simi-annual physical and almost passed out when they told me what I weighed.

            I'm 5' - 8" tall, and my weight had shot up to 265 pounds!

            So October 1st, I went on a diet! So far I've lost a little over 23 pounds.

            When it's warm enough that I can walk outside, I lose weight faster, because I walk 8 blocks, three times a day, but we've had Cold Weather for about 2 months, and it's slowed down my weight shedding program.

            When everything is ideal, I'll lose weight at the rate of about 10 pounds per month. My target weight is 190, +/- 10 pounds, not too bad for someone at the age of 72.
            Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
            Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
            George

            Comment

            • os1kne
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2003
              • 901
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT3100

              #21
              Yes, I need to lose about 25lbs. Since getting married 5 years ago, I have gained 25lbs. due to a number of factors (mainly eating too much and exercizing too little). I used to work out 3-4x each week, but after we married, we moved to an area that was inconvenient to the gym, further from work etc. - time that was previously work out time became commuting time. Hoping to drop that weight this year. I recently changed jobs and am now working much closer to home, planning to start jogging again once the weather warms up.
              Bill

              Comment

              • gabedad
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • 142
                • Chelmsford, MA.
                • unfortunately bts-15

                #22
                6' 3" and about 300lbs. was a high of 325 lost 50 - gained back 25

                all of the usual symptoms ( sleep apnea, high bp etc)

                Need to drop about 50 -60 and I would be really happy.

                Now to just get my fat gut in gear.....

                Comment

                • Thom2
                  Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                  • Jan 2003
                  • 1786
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

                  #23
                  From the time I was about 15 until 30, or so, I weighed 145lbs soaking wet. I caught so much grief for being so thin.

                  Then after my daughter was born and somewhere around my 30th b-day rolling around, 70 pounds just JUMPED on me. I've been holding 215'ish for the past few years.

                  so my typical answer is:
                  Originally posted by Thom2
                  I don't mind having the real estate, but it sure could use some landscaping
                  If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                  **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

                  Comment

                  • Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 1566
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

                    #24
                    Well I will not go into how much I want to lose or need to lose, a girl never reveals things like that and her age. But after having Thomas last year I was doing well and dropped the baby weight and about 30 more than that. But a few months later when I broke my ankle and wasn't able to move with much ease and get out and do things I gained them all back plus some. So now my goal is to start walking once the snow and bad weather has eased up some, and I am also hoping that if I am not working this summer then, I want to get a bike with one of those little trailers to tow behind and go on some bike rides with the older kids during the spring and summer.

                    And doing this I hope to get down to less than what I was in High School.
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

                    Comment

                    • BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 1818
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

                      #25
                      Well I'm not BIGGUYZ for nothing... I was 275# as a freshman in HS. Last August I was the heaviest I've ever been. I hit just below 390. Started dieting (Atkins) and lifting and I dropped to 350s in Sept. 330s in December. Now I'm about 320. I'm still doing the low- carb thing, but I'm also trying to stay under 1500 calories as well. Now, I lift 2x/week, and do a half hour of cardio after my weight workouts. In addition, I try to get in the gym 2-3x during the week before work and do another half hour of cardio.

                      Having done a caliper body fat test, I have about 230 of lean mass, so my ideal weight is around 275 or so. I'd like to get down to 260, but that'd be pretty hard.

                      Comment

                      • SARGE..g-47

                        #26
                        I'm 59 years old.. 5' 9".. 155 lbs. (most I've weighed is 158.. minimum is 141 when returning from Rangers in VN).. cholesterol 111 as I eat salmon, tuna, sardines and broiled fish and every vegetable that sprouts from the ground. I splurge with an omelette once a month and an occasional chicken, turkey and a grilled hamburger (I haven't eat at a fast food resturant in about 10 years).

                        The bad news is I love steak.. I love bar-be-qued pork.. I love fast food.. I love pizza.. I love snacks that are laden with every kind of fat known to medical science. I just say NO!

                        The good news is I love fish and there's no vegetable on earth I don't love.

                        In Nov. I had a "stent" placed in my left to open a major blockage of the illiac artery that feeds both legs blood... Go Figure!

                        Regards...

                        Comment

                        • Santa Clarita Len
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 166
                          • Santa Clarita Calif.
                          • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

                          #27
                          Right Weight For My Height

                          My doctor says I would be the right weight for my height if I was a Toyota pickup truck!

                          Comment

                          • atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 4055
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

                            #28
                            Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                            Sam,

                            I am currently at 233# and am afraid that the Shimano Dura Ace WH-7700 wheel set I have on my road bike won't be able to handle it. What do you think? What wheelset do you have on your bike? I need to get a good training wheelset and when I am down below 200# maybe I will put the Shimano wheelset back on my bike.

                            Thanks!
                            I have Ritchie 32 spoke in the back and they've held up well. They're the
                            kind that are laced so the hub is not off-center. Shimanos didn't do the job
                            when I was 185#. Mavics gave out around 200#. Lot's of broken spokes on
                            rough road. I never noticed any problem in the front regardless of the
                            wheelset.

                            I'm 6'1" and haven't been below 200# since getting married 5 years ago. My
                            fittest was 175 2 years out of college. I've added muscle since then but I
                            would love to be 180 again. I think every year it's been another 5#.

                            We moved cross country this summer and I've gained 10# at this new job.
                            Much more of a desk job than my previous lab. There are almost no bike
                            lanes here either. Oh yeah, I'm lazy, too.

                            Unfortunately, I don't think WWing burns too many calories. I will have to
                            wait till spring when the grass needs cutting. I want to make it happen this
                            year.

                            Comment

                            • Sam Conder
                              Woodworker Once More
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 2502
                              • Midway, KY
                              • Delta 36-725T2

                              #29
                              Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                              Sam,

                              I am currently at 233# and am afraid that the Shimano Dura Ace WH-7700 wheel set I have on my road bike won't be able to handle it. What do you think? What wheelset do you have on your bike? I need to get a good training wheelset and when I am down below 200# maybe I will put the Shimano wheelset back on my bike.

                              Thanks!
                              Originally posted by eddy merckx
                              Finally a question that I know the answer to! Most all of the high-end wheels are marginal above 200lbs. That includes Mavic, Shimano, Rolf, etc. Don't even think about cheaper light wheels. The old adage is "light, strong, cheap--pick two". If you have to do much cornering and climbing, a hand built set of wheels with 32 spokes front and 36 spokes rear would be good. Just make sure to get DT or Sapim spokes, preferably 14/15 butted with brass nipples.

                              Eddy
                              Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              I have Ritchie 32 spoke in the back and they've held up well. They're the kind that are laced so the hub is not off-center. Shimanos didn't do the job when I was 185#. Mavics gave out around 200#. Lot's of broken spokes on rough road. I never noticed any problem in the front regardless of the wheelset.
                              My previous bike was a 2001 Cannondale R600 with Mavic CXP21 rims with DT Champion spokes. Even when I was down around 200 I would break a spoke at least once a month. Here is a pic:



                              Now I ride a 2005 Giant OCR Composite Limited. It has a rather generic wheelset (Xero - XSR-3) with ALOT fewer spokes but I have not broken a spoke yet and I have not had to true them. Go figure.

                              Here is a pic:

                              Sam Conder
                              BT3Central's First Member

                              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

                              Comment

                              • LarryG
                                The Full Monte
                                • May 2004
                                • 6693
                                • Off The Back
                                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

                                #30
                                Confession is said to be good for the soul, so here's mine:

                                I'm exactly six feet tall. After hovering in the 185-190 lbs range during high school and my early 20s, I got down to 165 at age 26 and felt terrific. But by my early thirties I was back up around 190-200 and stayed there until I hit age 45 or so.

                                Then began the slow creep upward, to 225-230 depending on the time of year and how active I was. During my cancer treatments, at age 50, I saw 199 again for the first time in years, but being on a liquid diet for four months caused me to, uh, overcompensate when I was able to eat solid food again. I rapidly shot up to the low 220s and stayed there for about three years until ...

                                ... I saw my GP on 2 Jan and was told the grim news that I was now at 236. Which is absolutely unacceptable. So I've cut way down on calories and am bumping up the road miles considerably over what I logged last year. The latter will take time away from woodworking -- cycling is a wonderful activity but a poor way to lose weight -- but it's gotta be done. Goal is to take off 56 lbs and get to 180 by the time I turn 56 on 28 Sep 2008.

                                And then I'm going to make sure I KEEP IT OFF, DAMMIT!
                                Larry

                                Comment

                                Working...