• Show
Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

2007 BT3Central 2x6 Challenge?

I know many of you requested a 2006 2x6 Challenge and I regret that I did not conduct one. I think I've figured out an elegant and simple way to conduct one using vBulletin and was wanting to discuss it.
    • What would you like to see change, if anything over the 2005 2x6C?
    • What date/season would be best? I know several of our "Northernmost" members could not participate due to cold shops last time.
    • Should there be a seperate "entry fee" like last time of perhaps be open to any BT3Central Patron?
    Lemme hear ya!
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • onedash
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

Not familiar with the 2x6 challenge but as the name implies im sure its best project made from 2x6.
    I think what would be better is a joinery competition. Either choose a specific type of joinery or the best combination of multiple combinations of joinery. (does gorilla glue count as a type of joinery? It is pretty strong)
    You could build something pretty nice looking using all butt joints but does it challenge and improve your abilities?
    I think the competition should focus less on type of wood and focus more on either a specific project or a specific type or combination of joinery to complet a project. What do you think?
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Sam,

I'd make it the May/June timeframe.
      Make it open to any Patron, since AFIK the entry fee goes toward the BT3Central general fund anyway.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I also think May/ June would be a suitable time frame. I'd like to see three classes 2x6 flat work, 2x6 turned, 4bf max hardwood open, with first place prizes in all three catagories and top overall voted on by the membership; with weight given to the 2x6 entrants by requiring the hardwood entrants to get 15% more votes to win top prize. I.e. if a 2x6 entry gets 500 votes, the harwood entry would have to get 576 total votes to win. MY thinking is that it is much harder to construct a diamond from humble fir construction grade lumber than it is to do the same with hardwood. Rules similar to last one limiting other materials and hardware to $20.

Perhaps as last time you could get some sponsors for prizes. Entry should be granted to any patron.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Sam Conder
          Woodworker Once More
          • Dec 2002
          • Midway, KY
          • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          ...with first place prizes in all three catagories and top overall voted on by the membership; with weight given to the 2x6 entrants by requiring the hardwood entrants to get 15% more votes to win top prize. I.e. if a 2x6 entry gets 500 votes, the harwood entry would have to get 576 total votes to win....
          Well, you blew the "simple" part of my plan out of the water!
          Sam Conder

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

We can make this as complicated or as simple as wanted. We pretty much took it on faith that only one 2x6 was used last time. I also think that just softwood is pretty limiting as to both types of projects and types of joinery used.
            I think some guys may also no be tooled up enough to mill down a 2x6. Therefore I think that a 8 board foot limit be placed on the competition. You can still buy an oak or maple walnut 2x6. This would let more members participate. The entries would have to show dimensions of the final project if asked. I like the idea also of guys doing a photo journal of the build.
            Last edited by Stytooner; 01-26-2007, 11:13 AM. Reason: Cause I can't count, right Mike? ;)
            Lee

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

I don't think the entry fee was a discouragement in any way last time and think it should be in force this time also. I know if I didn't put a fee into the pit, I wouldn't feel right about getting a prize (not that I have a chance to win anyway)

Sam, I thought the format last time was fine in most respects, but maybe additional limits on what tools can be used in each class. The spirals on the legs of Jaywood's table were very nice, but not everyone has access to the tools that can do this.
              Last edited by Russianwolf; 01-26-2007, 11:11 AM.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by Stytooner
                We can make this as complicated or as simple as wanted. We pretty much took it on faith that only one 2x6 was used last time. I also think that just softwood is pretty limiting as to both types of projects and types of joinery used.
                I think some guys may also no be tooled up enough to mill down a 2x6. Therefore I think that a 4 board foot limit be placed on the competition. You can still buy an oak or maple walnut 2x6. This would let more members participate. The entries would have to show dimensions of the final project if asked. I like the idea also of guys doing a photo journal of the build.
                A 2*6*96 is 8 BF, so why have a 4 BF limit on hardwoods?
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, there will be an entry fee - it is called donating to the forum.

I also like your point about the turned legs on the table. I think if there are any turned portions it goes in the turned category. Flatwork has to be all flatwork, or at the very least no turning tools used in the making.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                    Mike, there will be an entry fee - it is called donating to the forum.

So it would be open to all patrons, not all members. For some reason I was reading member instead of patron in the other posts. My fault.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

Comment

• ChongoChingi
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Oklahoma City, Ok
                      • BT3000

Does anyone have pictures from the last contest? Some of us are new here and would like to see what your talking about?

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Wouldn't they become a Patron by participating?
                        Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by ChongoChingi
                          Does anyone have pictures from the last contest? Some of us are new here and would like to see what your talking about?

Use this forum to post you 2x6 Challenge entry. Only regitered contest entrants will be permitted to post in this forum.
                          Lee

Comment

• Sam Conder
                            Woodworker Once More
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Midway, KY
                            • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by Stytooner
                            Wouldn't they become a Patron by participating?
                            Perzactly!

My question was this:

If I put, say a $10 entry fee, should EXISTING patrons have to pay the additional $10, or should they get a "free entry" since they have already contributed to the site. This is an extension of the fundraiser, so there will be an entry fee of some sort...
                            Sam Conder

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                              A 2*6*96 is 8 BF, so why have a 4 BF limit on hardwoods?
                              Methinks it would somewhat level the playing field. Making a usable piece of furniture with a 2x6 construction grade softwood stud is difficult, as is only using 4bf of hardwood. The origional challenge was to make a diamond from a chunk of coal. With that in mind I feel that those that do so should have an edge over those that start with better stock.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...