• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

What was on your wishlist?

Well two weeks ago my wife asked me for a Christmas wishlist that I can put together for her family . I figured sure why not . So I put together a wishlist of something that is reasonable at Amazon.

What's on your wishlist?
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I can see it's working well - nobody got you any of them... ...yet.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

The Boss asked me for a list and then 3 days later told me she was done shopping. Never got the list done.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I usually get a few tools that someone thinks are just what I want, but I'll never use. If I had known about the wishlist earlier, I could have asked LOML to make out a list for herself. I'm sure she would be looking for mine. The upside is that we have a whole year to populate one for next year.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Gave my wife one a few weeks ago when she asked what I would like, complete with model numbers, where to buy it, etc.

On the other hand, I asked her for what she would like and got the answer, "I'll think about it". The subject has come up from me about 12 times since and still nothing until yesterday when she mentioned a couple of generic ideas.

I finally said to her that I couldn't believe it would take this much time to think of something specific they would like to have.

After being married for 41 years, I gave up trying to buy her clothes, etc., as my tastes are completely different than hers. Still not sure what I'm going to get her yet. It's really frustrating as far as I'm concerned, as I would really like to get her something she would like, but she does this every year.

Obviously this topic hit somewhat of a sore point for me.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Veramacor
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2006
            • Macomb Twp, Mich
            • BT3100

My wife answers with the perennial reply "I don't want anything for Christmas"

Which is about as frustrating answer as you can get! But, no problem she loves gift certificates. Anything that says $xx and a brand store and I'm in.

I am making her a His and Hers cell phone holder that she doesnt know about :0

Dr V
            Rule #1: Never worry about the little things.
            Rule #2: EVERYTHING is a little thing.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by jhart

After being married for 41 years,
              Do you get the "you don't know me by now?"

Just got that yesterday but I have only been married 15 years. Since I was taking the kids shopping I managed to get her to blurt out a few things but my 15 year old thought all those ideas were gay.
              He really wanted to get her an IPOD or Wii. I guess if its something he likes then its not gay. And he is more than willing to spend a fortune of someone elses money to buy a gift.

I think we spent more on Christmas this year than ever before. Mainly because we got all three kids CD's and opened them bank accounts.
              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Originally posted by jhart
                Obviously this topic hit somewhat of a sore point for me.
                I think it's a sore point for a lot of guys. I actually bought LOML diamond earrings one year, and she returned them! Too extravagent, she said. I thought it was a sure-fire, can't miss gift. But NOOOOO!

Here's what I know for sure. No kitchen or laundry room appliance is ever appropriate (except LOML and I got ourselves ktichen appliances this year. If it's together it's ok). No snow tires - learned this one from my father, who learned it the hard way.

That's it. That's all I know.

JR
                JR

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Mine said she wanted a new sewing machine for Xmas - and she meant it...

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I try to be specific when I make a list. I give specific model #s and even links to websites having the best deals. Hopefully my family used that. However, they're pretty bad when it comes to doing that sort of stuff.

Worse comes to worse, they should know by now to keep the receipt. For instance, I asked for a Ryobi 18v impact driver. Now for $30 more you can get the kit with the additional drill, 2 batteries, and a charger. So, hopefully I'll be able to return the driver alone and upgrade to the kit.... assuming they even got it in the first place (I hope they did...)

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Here are the general rules I've learned:

1. Appliances are ok only IF they are in connection with a hobby (i.e) a new sewing machine.
                      2. Clothes are never good. 'Cept for lingerie, and then it is really for you. Buy a size too small though.
                      3. If she wears jewelry (my wife doesn't) it is a good gift

If she is a reader books are a great gift, esp if you write a note saying why you thought she'd like it. Music lover? an iPod or same preloaded with her favorite songs. Or a subscription to iTunes. Or a sat. radio.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • IL, USA.
                        • DELTA 36-675

Been only married for four years so might not be the same case for all. I sometimes go with my wife when she wants to go to the mall and I always try to remember the stuff and the stores that she looks at. I also calls some of her girlfriends and ask them for suggestions. Earlier this year she's been eyeing some purses at the Coach and Doonie & Burke stores. Me and my wife also car pools to work since we work for the same company, so I pay attention to songs that she sings along to and try to find out the artists that sang it and write it down on my journal. So for Christmas I got her a purse from Coach, some girly girl movies and some CD's that have the songs that she likes to sing along to.

Another gift idea that is good are photo album. We went on a Caribbean cruise earlier this year and have some great pics that I compiled and have sent it in to have one of those leather bound album made at Photoworks.com this I will give to her on Valentines day.
                        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by scorrpio
                          Mine said she wanted a new sewing machine for Xmas - and she meant it...
                          I gave mine the sewing machine THAT SHE WANTED 2 years ago and even set up a "sewing station" for her. She has yet to sew a stitch.

I bought her Diamond Earings a while back. She lost one the first time out.

I give up.............

Then she asks me the other day "what do you want for Christmas.......Not tools"

I'm getting a lump of coal.
                          Last edited by Russianwolf; 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• jhart
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

After 41 years of marriage, you'd think I would know, but I guess what I've learned is what not to get her. Couple of years ago, got her a nice string of pearls, she's worn them once.

She is not into electronics, (no Ipods, cell phone, etc), doesn't think appliances make a good gift, hasn't worn most of the clothes, sweaters or robes I've given her.

And you're right, Onedash, I've gotten the "You don't know me by now??

Maybe I'll get her a lump of coal!!
                            Joe
                            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                              Well two weeks ago my wife asked me for a Christmas wishlist that I can put together for her family . I figured sure why not . So I put together a wishlist of something that is reasonable at Amazon.

What's on your wishlist?
                              Note :

$10 off future tool purchase with $50 purchase of home and garden (including WW) books. Make sure she is aware of that and gets credit for it.

You may want to take that PSI moisture meter off the list. I tried one and it was WAAAAYYY off.

Do you have a compressor? Some folks have scored the complete PC compressor 3 gun combo for $200. The two guns you list are $180 for two guns.

And last, do you have a Biesemeyer style fence? If not Tablesaw Magic is of very limited use.

Not trying to ruin your list, just watching out for ya!

Comment

Working...