X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Sounds like the dogs have more "rights" than your family does. I had a problem dog before and I had it put down before it had the possibility of hurting a neighbors child. Very hard thing to do and most owners will never be able to do it. I realized that it's impossible to have absolute control - the dog WILL get out sometime. There is no avoiding it unless you make the house a prison.

Talk to animal control and the police again. Ask them what type of weapons are legal to use to protect your family in case they get out again. Get the biggest lethal one they say is allowable. A cattle prod would work well too. If you don't think that is enough, get a gun. Almost all states allow you to defend your life and those of your family on your own property.

Think what you'd feel like seeing that dog attached to your childs throat! You may not be there to protect them either. That should give you enough motivation to take carre of the problem.

Also, call you elected politicans today. Tell them your problem and ask for an emergency ordinance to be passed banning pit bulls. Politicians love to jump on this type of thing as it gets them more votes and elections are coming up. Tell them if anything happens, you'll go public explaining their response or lack of it.

Edit: Wfie suggested calling the newspaper and seeing if they want to run a story.
    Last edited by gary; 10-04-2006, 06:22 AM.
    Gary

Comment

• jwaterdawg
      • Aug 2005
      • Washington, NC USA
      • JET

You've been more than accomodating. You should not hesitate or feel remorse to take those dogs out. It sounds like it will only get worse especially with the woman telling you to stop hitting her dog with the shovel. If she had GARA she would have put herself in harm's way between her dog and yours.

Protect your family, bottom line.
      Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• onedash
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Maryland
        • Craftsman 22124

Lure them in your yard with some raw meat and shoot them.
        YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Luring them would be totally illegal. Same as if I invited someone over and then shot them for trespassing. These dogs don't seem to need any luring anyway.

If you can own a firearm, might want to get one. A basic pump 12ga shotgun can be had for about $200-250, and keep it someplace in the garage.

I personally believe that law should be passed that any action on part of dog has full ramifictions on the owner. If dog trespasses on your property - owner can be charged with trespassing. Dog mauls someone - onwer gets slapped with an aggravated assault charge. Would make people think long and hard before getting a dangerous breed.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I've had German Shepherds all my life. It's up to me to control them and I'm the one to blame if they create havoc. It's time that people take responsibility. This type of situation is at first a seemingly excusable event, but you have to forsee where it can lead.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jseklund
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006

Sorry to hear about this Mater. I am glad it didnt' come out worse. A gun may be an option for protection, but at the VERY least I would hang a nice ax within view of your neighbor and show them how sharp you've learned to make a blade in woodworking (new meaning to scary sharp!).

I would also take the advice of DKHoward- get a lawyer. I wouldn't call and go after them criminally with the DA until you talk to the lawyer. The reason is that criminal prosecution requires an act to be intentional. If the act is intentional, then it is NOT negligent. If your neighbors have plenty of money, then this may not be an issue and you can get them both ways, but if they don't have the money and some kind of insurance is involved- then you will be telling the DA it was intentional, and telling the civil court that it was an accident (insurance only pays on accidents)- and it can't be both. Unlikely in this situation, but that is the kind of screwy thinking you get with lawyers. You'll probably wind up doing exactly what DKHoward says, I would jsut let a lawyer come up with a plan. Just my .02.

The newspaper idea is not bad. It may put the extra pressure on the neighbors that you need- but be careful of any lible or slander.

And finally, whatever you do, find a way to end any future incidents as quickly as possible (hopefully instantly). Next time, it could be a person, or an animal who is not as tough as yours (being had by the throat and surviving indicates TOUGH! in my book).

And one last thing someone told me once. He was a survivalist and he told me if you ever get attacked by a dog or similar animal- they first try to knock you on the ground. Their instinct once you are on the ground is- NECK! So, if you ever get knocked over, wrap your arm around your neck FAST! Don't try to hold the dog back, and when the dog bites your arm, you end it by wrapping your arm around the back of its neck and pushing back, with a lot of force I'm guessing- and breaking its neck. Nothing I've ever had to use, and sounds a little crazy, but it may come in handy for you, unfortunately.
              F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I would not recommend getting aggressive with a charging animal, no matter who you think you can imitate. The safest bet is to remain still and NOT move. I have put German Shepherds through obedience, guard, and attack/protection training and it is almost an impossibility to train a dog to hit a still target. Dogs with no training are even less likely. It may be the initial stimuli that sets off an animal, but get motionless as soon as you can.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Ishmel
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2005
                  • St. Cloud, MN.

I was attacked and bitten by the neighbors mutt when I was 7 years old. Thankfully it wasn't serious enough to leave any physical scars, but to this day I am very leary of strange dogs. I would not think twice about shooting either or both of the neighbors dogs at the next provocation. And I wouldn't feel the slightest twinge of remorse at doing it. If your neighbors were waving a loaded gun at you and your family, you wouldn't stand for it, and I don't see much difference.

Just my two cents.

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

911 call

Mater, if the police don't or won't do anything about this dog, it may be the time to break out the old 12 ga. and put a stop to this dog. The reason I
                    say that is this is a vicious dog and will have to be destroyed at some future time one way or the other. I for one, will not tolerate a vicious dog on or near my property or family, my way of thinking is if he can't be controlled
                    he has to go! I am not going to be bitten by a dog, if I am unlucky enough
                    and it happens, as far as I'm concerned this stupid mutt just had the worst
                    day of his life and I ended it for him! I may get a ticket for discharging a firearm in city limits, so what, I would rather pay a fine and still be alive
                    and well that possibly killed or maimed by a worthless mutt like this. Don't mistake what I'm saying here...I love dogs and have three myself, but when
                    push comes to shove...me or them I'm not backing down, I will survive
                    and they will die before me. end of sentence!
                    Just had to vent my opinion......eezlock

Comment

• JeremyM
                      Established Member
                      • May 2004

Label me as a redneck or whatever you like. I would have shot anything like that in a second and have put down aggressive or nuisance animals.

But I would not wait any longer in your situation.

I don't care if you are in an urban setting. If those dogs can be gotten to, get to them. Like the one fellow said, they WILL get loose again. Anonymously find a pawn shop or something that will sell you a cheap .22 for cash and no questions asked. Or go shop a yard sale. Go out that night or when the neighbor leaves, with no one watching, and pop them all in the head. Dispose of alleged gun in manner that no criminal can use it.

I'm one for the truth, but if they can't prove you were there you don't have to ADMIT you were there. If you have to, lawyer up. Cops aren't going to pursue this unless they receive pressure. Sounds like there was plenty of reason for you to worry and now there is a record started. They will most likely be glad the problem has been solved.

Those dogs are walking dead if they lived by me, laws in place or not. I absolutely REFUSE to place the "rights" of people or dogs above the LIVES of people, especially my family. And any lawyer worth his salt will be able to make that case if it's needed with everything that has happened and as many witnesses as you have.

Take care.

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        The safest bet is to remain still and NOT move...... I it is almost an impossibility to train a dog to hit a still target. Dogs with no training are even less likely.
                        Well then I hit that impossibility when I was 12. I would ride my bike to a friends' house and there was a sheepdog on the way who would bark when I passed. The first time he was out and chased me, I stopped and stayed still. He came off the property anyway. I had to use my bike as a shield until his owner called him back. I did have one small bite. My parents reported it but I guess nothing was done.

The second time he chased me a few weeks later I ran into an orchard and found the biggest stick I could and started to use it. When the owner came out and yelled at me for trying to hurt her dog I told her I wasn't I was trying to kill it. After that there were no more problems.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• 91FE
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

there's always the old steak marinated in drano trick
                          I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• scorrpio
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by JeremyM
                            I don't care if you are in an urban setting. If those dogs can be gotten to, get to them. Like the one fellow said, they WILL get loose again. Anonymously find a pawn shop or something that will sell you a cheap .22 for cash and no questions asked. Or go shop a yard sale. Go out that night or when the neighbor leaves, with no one watching, and pop them all in the head. Dispose of alleged gun in manner that no criminal can use it.
                            No way. That's trespassing with criminal intent, illegal firearm possession, and destruction of property. Doing anything of this sort WILL get you in such a legal pickle you'll never come clean. And they WILL find out. You WILL leave traces.

My way would be to go buy a shotgun or rifle in the most legal way possible - licensed store, weapon registration an all that. Demonstrate the shotgun to the neighbor, and let him know that yes, I am very sorry, but it has gone long enough, and next time their dogs are on my property, it will be a 12ga round, not a shovel. Oh, you are assuring me this won't happen again? Very good, if that is indeed so, you need not worry about your dogs getting shot. And I would use the shotgun only when the dog is indeed on my property.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                              • One of them there Toy saws

Matter, glad that everyone is relatively okay (pup is healing up and resting I hope).

You are doing the right thing with going through the legal channels.

But next time. Shovel blade to back of neck (or spine), as hard as you can. I know it's hard to think at times like this, but if it were me (and it has been in the past) they would be dead already. I'd cry about it afterwards, but they wouldn't get the chance to do it again.
                              Mike
                              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• havighurst
                                Established Member
                                • Jun 2004
                                • Metamora, MI, USA.

What a terrible ordeal that you and your family are having to go through. I was glad to read that your dog will be ok. I would agree with a previous comment that your dog probably saved your family and in turn you saved your dog. I have step children and two dogs of my own and I don't know how I would react if they were harmed. However, I hope that you pursue this matter through legal channels and don't take the law into your own hands. It always seems that the "victim" who reacts gets punished worse than the "perpetrator" who commited the original act.
                                \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

Working...