• Show
Clear All
  • ndj
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Lexington, KY
    • BT3K

Computer Question

I can follow directions very well and have been able to teach myself how to perform the functions that I need to do on computers. But, I've never been able to take the time to learn how to get into the technical aspects of operating systems, java, etc. I use a laptop mostly that was configured by an IT dept. My desktop, however, was ordered direct and aside from the manufacturer's setup and default settings, it's pretty much been left alone.

Problem I'm trying to resolve:
    On my laptop, web content seems to almost always download without any gliches. On my desktop, however, it's very common to go to a website and much of the graphic content on the page doesn't download.
    All I get is the box where the graphic should go with a small red x on the corner. I'm sure everyone has seen this at one time or another. After this long winded description, my question is: What do I likely have to do to change the settings to allow these graphics to download?
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I am sure You will get some help on this, but it's probably a check mark left out or turned on when it should be off. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• ndj
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • Lexington, KY
      • BT3K

Thanks DUD. I have gone through all of the tabs in "Internet Options" but really have no clue what it would be. There are alot of computer experts on this board so I agree with you. Plus its probably something extremely simple and I've overlooked it.

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

I'm not a computer expert either but I think you might need to download what ever software the "red x" requires to play on your computer. Usually you would get a message that ask if you want to download. The software is usually free but of course you should be careful that you only download from a "safe" well known company.

DonHo
        Don

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you run your cursor over the red X (and maybe you need to right click on it) you should be able to see the object properties, what you want to know is the file name and type. If the type is GIF or JPG then you are not displaying most graphics and probably have the display graphics checkbox off in your browser, this is rarely set off since the advent of high speed lines, but i suppose it could be checked.

If the objects that are "X"ed are other types then usually you need some plug ins for your browser or to have them associated with viewers or players. Again this is a little confusing because usually when you don't have a player one will be offered to you to download and install unless you have really strong security set which prevents popups or even prohbits the loading of the object files.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Do you ever see graphics/pictures? If not, check under Tools-Internet Options-Advanced Tab (assuming you're using Internet Explorer) . Scroll down to the "Multimedia" section. Make sure the box next to "Show Pictures" is checked.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• ndj
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • Lexington, KY
              • BT3K

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll trt to provide a little more clarity to what I'm trying to solve since, I doubt that I'm using the correct terminology for the issue. This webpage for example, I can see all of the graphic objects with the exception of the Rockler banner at the top of the page. A couple days ago KomaToast posted a link to a streaming video sight showing an eagle's nest. I couldn't see the video, just the box where the video would be. However, on my laptop, I could see it with no problem. Hopefully, this provides a little better discription of what I want to solve. Thanks again.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Originally posted by ndj
                I can follow directions very well and have been able to teach myself how to perform the functions that I need to do on computers. But, I've never been able to take the time to learn how to get into the technical aspects of operating systems, java, etc. I use a laptop mostly that was configured by an IT dept. My desktop, however, was ordered direct and aside from the manufacturer's setup and default settings, it's pretty much been left alone.

Problem I'm trying to resolve:
                On my laptop, web content seems to almost always download without any gliches. On my desktop, however, it's very common to go to a website and much of the graphic content on the page doesn't download.
                All I get is the box where the graphic should go with a small red x on the corner. I'm sure everyone has seen this at one time or another. After this long winded description, my question is: What do I likely have to do to change the settings to allow these graphics to download?

OK, need to start with some basic questions. Is this YOUR computer (you own, at home) or is this a work computer?
                If this is a work computer, do you have administrator rights?
                Some of this sounds like you are missing a flash plugin, while other parts sound like things have either intentionally been disabled, or you are going through a proxy at work.
                There are reasons the stuff could be disabled.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ndj
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Lexington, KY
                  • BT3K

LinuxRandall

Thanks for your reply. Both my desktop and my laptop are personal computers. I just ordered the desktop direct from HP and the laptop I purchased through a reseller who simply preloaded all of the software and configured everything.

Comment

• DaveW
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • So Cal.

Originally posted by ndj
                    This webpage for example, I can see all of the graphic objects with the exception of the Rockler banner at the top of the page. A couple days ago KomaToast posted a link to a streaming video sight showing an eagle's nest. I couldn't see the video, just the box where the video would be.
                    The Rockler banner is just a GIF file - so if you can't see that, and if your images settings is on (per others' suggestions), the thing I'd suspect isn't a flash plug-in etc - I'd question if maybe your computer's DNS settings etc aren't looking up those hosts properly. i.e., your computer is allowing images from bt3central.com to come through, but not from rockler.com etc. Or maybe you have some firewall software that's blocking the same kind of thing?

Comment

• RayintheUK
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Sounds like a pop-up blocker is working if you cant see an advert graphic. Excuse poor punctuation - foreign (Italian) keyboard! If thats all it is, dont worry about it.

Ray (in Rome)
                      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Liberty, SC, USA.
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Are you using Norton Internet Security?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by ndj
                          LinuxRandall

Thanks for your reply. Both my desktop and my laptop are personal computers. I just ordered the desktop direct from HP and the laptop I purchased through a reseller who simply preloaded all of the software and configured everything.

Preconfigured, I am guessing service pack 2 with the firewall active, and set to disable items (like the gif). Check your bar, lower right screen, and see if one of the icons shows Windows firewall. Best bet if it is active, would be to google it for settings, and experiment with different ones and sites you normally go to. My mothers pc has problems with ONE site, that the grandkids use, only the one, so the setting need to be adjusted by the grandkids everytime, as mom isn't computer literate.

Check the laptop for the firewall to, then compare settings.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ndj
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Lexington, KY
                            • BT3K

I suspect that it's related to the Norton Anti-Virus. It seems to be the culprit in so many other things. I use the Norton firewall and have disabled the Windows firewall. I just don't know how to override whatever settings that Norton may have changed to fix the problem.

It's really not a serious problem. It's just that sometimes, it blocks out graphics that would be useful to see.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Liberty, SC, USA.
                              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by ndj
                              I suspect that it's related to the Norton Anti-Virus. It seems to be the culprit in so many other things. I use the Norton firewall and have disabled the Windows firewall. I just don't know how to override whatever settings that Norton may have changed to fix the problem.

It's really not a serious problem. It's just that sometimes, it blocks out graphics that would be useful to see.
                              I had stuff like that happen with Norton Firewall and AV. I got rid of all the Norton software and got back all the system resources it was eating. I went with AVG Free for awhile, then AVG Retail. AVG is nice to your system. Now I use Windows Onecare with AV, Firewall and Spyware detection, and IMO, it's the best I've ever used.

Comment

Working...