Clear All
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

Philosophical WW question

Don't you just hate these?

What's the most important thing you've learned through wood working?

I'm not talking about technique, as in making dovetails or tool operation. I guess, for want of a better term, I'm talking about life lessons. (God! That just sounds terrible.) I'm sorry I may be having a Guiness moment here.

My biggest lesson was the importance of organized thinking. I'm not the most organized person I know and I work primarily from sketches of ideas. I learned, fairly recently in fact, that thinking things through, organizing the steps in logical order means not having to tear down and reassemble over and over again. I'm not afraid to make a mistake, I just don't like making stupid mistakes. Especially the second and third time.

If this is too "zen," or what ever the term may be, let's all ignore it. But, I really am interested in finding out if any others of you have learned a little life lesson while making sawdust and shortening boards.

Thanks for the insight. And, thanks for reading this and thinking "What the **** is he talking about?", shrugging your shoulders in sympathy and moving on to the next post.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Warren - this is an excellent question. I guess it could also be phrased another way - why do we all enjoy it so much?

Kirby reasons:
    • It involves ALL my senses: Nothing beats the smell of freshly cut wood. Touching (and smelling) a planed surface that you finally got "just right". The sheen on a well-finished project is worth all the effort.
    • It lets me create something from scratch, that I can actually show someone (as against programming a computer!).
    • My Shed (Shop) is a haven for me. A place that I can have EXACTLY the way I want - that NOBODY can screw around with. I often go out to the Shed to read and relax.
    • Because it's a hobby, I can take all time I want; to plan, screw up, redo, redesign, and watch it all come together - in my own time!
    • Last but not least - it lets me get to know all the great guys on this forum - that I know are like-minded.
    I'm at an age now, where one of the greatest joys of my Shed (and WW) is solitude
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Kirby pretty much hit my high points too. I like creating things and probably there is no better media than wood. I'm sort of new at "shop" woodworking and am slowly but surely setting up a shop in an old home we recently purchased (early retirement place I guess). Almost all aspects of doing this is fun.

My hope is to turn my talents toward furniture, trimming out the new home, and to teach my grandsons a few things. But working with wood is the prime directive as it gives me great pleasure, and I enjoy cutting and sanding and finishing, even if its something utilitarian like the deck on the present home that I refinished last summer. When I built it 18 years ago, it was just "treated lumber" to me. I enjoyed designing and building it, but at the time, it was the end results that I focused on. This past summer I stripped it clean with a pressure washer and sanded the whole thing. It turned into a real joy, and the wood grain popped out with a new stain. It was beautiful seeing that old wood come alive. to feel the smoothness of the surface and the overall lines of the construction.... it was sort of the joy you get from polishing a nice car, only better, because the work was mine and it was something I did with nature's gift.

So, now that I am older and perhaps wiser, I see that life's lesson isn't so much about getting there as much as it is about enjoying the trip. While the creation may well earn the admiration of friends and family; for me, the journey is what it's all about. It's the vision, the multitude of thoughts that plan out each part and each cut. It's the execution of a variety of steps with each bringing forth it's own satisfaction of senses. You not only enjoy the wood, but the machines and tools that you bring to it.

It's the kind of work where you not only admire your own work, but the work of others in the tools you use; and above all, it's the admiration of the wood that was created, actually God's (or nature's, if thats your preference)creation. So you get to work with that! It's beauty, its strengths, and its frailties. It can get very personal, feeling the grain, admiring the pattern, smelling the aroma.

The journey that you take is satisfying to the extent that you need not rush, for rushing will only get you to an end. So for me, the joy is the journey itself and the end result is the memory which will live beyond.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Warren
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Anchorage, Ak
        • BT3000

Rod, I kinda figured and hoped that the guy at the bottom of the lower hemisphere would be the first to answer the guy near the top of the upper one. Can I distill your thoughts into, I learned that a little me time isn't a bad thing? Shame, it took me so long to learn that. I treat others better now that I treat myself better.

And CW, I can relate. It's another lesson I learned late that I wished I'd learned a heck of a late earlier.
        A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

wow, some real philosophers here. I thought it was just the power tool rush .

all good points everyone's made. Can't argue with any of them, There aren't even any facts and figures for me to check .

If I had to sum up one point, I like to have an idea and see it all come together as I visualized. Most gratifying.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

The lessons that I think can be learned from woodworking.

1. Patience is a virtue.
            2. Learn to be aware of your surroundings (or lose a digit at a time until you do, unsure if woodworkers, or yakuza started that one)
            3. Don't be afraid to ask for help, you can't know everything. (even though some people expect you to)
            4. Know your limitations and work smartly around them. (how many people get injured moving sheets of plywood)
            5. If you want something done right, do it yourself. (looking at today's particle board furniture)
            6. Try to be helpfull to others (I think Sam wins the gold medal for this, starting this site)
            7. You can have the tools, and aquire the ability, but then again you may not be an artist (some of the projects I have seen on here, woodworking is relaxing, but I don't have the time yet, to take it to that level)
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

All the points above, especially the creative aspect and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience.
              ken

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Maybe it’s a Ken thing but Ken Massingale hit the nail right on the head. Patience is by far one of the most important elements in woodworking and once I learned it my work has improved significantly.

Comment

• rickd
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                  All the points above, especially the creative aspect and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience, and patience.
                  ken
                  i'll definitely go along with 'patience' - but, i'll also have to add 'perseverence' to the list of things i've learned while woodworking.

i don't know how many times i've started things and then said to myself "i can't do this". but, by persevering, i've discovered that in allmost all cases i can - and the result is "experience".

i've also learned to appreciate the skills of other woodworkers who are just plain, flat 'good'!
                  rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Raymonator
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Near Ottawa Ontario
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Alright, all this philosophical stuff has convinced me to go out and purchase my BT3100 today (you guys almost brought a tear to my good eye)
                    I was calling around various HD stores in Ontario within a respectable distance from where I live, to make sure they had some in stock. I found a store in Brockville (about a two hour drive from me) and I spoke on the phone with a salesperson there. I must admit he confused me a bit, as he told me the BT3100's they have sell for $399.00 CAD but come with the wheels, dust bag and more. These are things that I thought only came with the accessory kit. I asked him if we was sure about that, and he told me to hold on as he'd confirm with his manager who was standing beside him. He came back and said yes, it comes with those things for $399.00. I asked him his name, and told him I would be going up. I know it's a two hour drive, but it's a nice sunny day, and it'll give my wife and I a nice car ride in our new Toyota Camry XLE. Sure hope the box fits in the car. If I can get this saw for 399 plus tax (=460) WITH the accessory kit, I will be saving $149.50) This makes it worth the gas to go there and back.
                    I just hope they will honor their phone quote once I get there. One concern I have though is, once I get the box home, and open it up, if there are any missing or broken pieces, do I have to go to HD in Brockville to replace it, or can I go to ANY HD closer to me ??
                    Even if I buy the saw today, I won't be setting it up until it gets milder as my garage isn't heated.
                    Wish me luck.
                    Last edited by Raymonator; 03-19-2006, 08:58 AM.
                    Measure twice....cut once.
                    Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• mycatisretarded
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • newton, nc, USA.

A small truth I have learned:
                      We don't all have the same tools (gifts, talents...) to use, but if you use what you have, to the best of your ability, you can make something beautiful.
                      Stated another way... A tool isn't isn't a tool if you never plug it in and its covered with rust and cat barf.
                      Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

• WayneJ
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I learned to develope patience. I've been a piece worker most of my life in the automotive trade where speed = a good pay check. This way of working is hard to break. Now i'm retired with lots of time and I can finaly relax. Also I want to leave something behind to be remembered by. This is why I enjoy woodworking. Don't know how much time I have left, guess I better get going.
                        Wayne
                        Wayne J

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

For me: Little splinters can hurt big time. Deep little splinters can hurt a long time. Sharp knives work better than dull ones in getting deep little splinters out.

Observation, visualization and "cause and effect" understanding are a big plus in woodworking and life. For woodworking, following a cut list and step by step instructions is good for duplication but terrible for original creations. People are individuals too; can't put them in a single mold!

No matter how good the project is, the final analysis in making it presentable is the "finish" - take the time to polish that apple!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gjbivin
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2005
                            • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
                            • BT3100

I think the main appeal of WW for me, one that has been touched on by some of the other posts, is being able to create useful, tangible objects that have the potential of lasting for more than just a few years.

I've written software for over thirty years, and the sobering fact is that all of that work has vanished, or will soon vanish, into oblivion long before I will.

But my great (-great?) grandchildren could someday be using a jewelry box or a rocking horse that I have made.

Now I just need to work more on the "patience" thing...
                            Gary J. Bivin
                            Gilbert, AZ

Comment

• rickd
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Raymonator
                              Alright, all this philosophical stuff has convinced me to go out and purchase my BT3100 today (you guys almost brought a tear to my good eye)
                              One concern I have though is, once I get the box home, and open it up, if there are any missing or broken pieces, do I have to go to HD in Brockville to replace it, or can I go to ANY HD closer to me ??
                              Wish me luck.
                              good luck for sure - and congratulations on your decision to buy a bt3100, i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

as for returning items, i'm sure you can return your item to any hd store regardless of where you purchased it.

one more thing re the bt3100 'on wheels' - just make sure that the hd guys were talking about the bt3100 and not the cheaper ryobi table saw - i wouldn't trust that they would even know the difference.
                              rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

Working...