Clear All
  • ddamoore
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Oklahoma City, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman (Ridgid 3612 Clone)

Originally posted by mycatisretarded
    A small truth I have learned:
    We don't all have the same tools (gifts, talents...) to use, but if you use what you have, to the best of your ability, you can make something beautiful.
    Stated another way... A tool isn't isn't a tool if you never plug it in and its covered with rust and cat barf.
    My range of thinking on this went from, man that is frickin' hilarious...then (pause for a moment) whew that is a really deap thought. Well done!
    Dennis

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects" - Will Rogers

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

For me, I guess it's the use of the "mind's eye" when thinking about any project. Woodworking has improved my ability to trouble-shoot a design, before anything else is done, by imagining it - how it'll be made, how it'll go together, what joints, why, etc. I often spend several hours doing this, but not necessarily intentionally - that way, I seem to be able to "improve" on the design and construction over time, before laying a hand on any sort of tool.

This method seems to have crossed over into all sorts of other stuff I do now, so - if it's not too "zen" - a big thankyou to woodworking for improving thought processes and relaxation at the same time.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Raymonator
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Near Ottawa Ontario
        • Ryobi BT3100

Well the saw is home, and in the garage. Once it warms up, I'll open it up and see what kind of trouble I can get into. You boys have no idea what this means to "YOU" LOL I'll be asking so many stupid questions, you'll all be very sorry I ever heard of this forum. In all honesty, I'll try to be a quick learner, but at my age, I'm not making any promises, as I don't learn as fast as I use to. Actually come to think of it, I never was a fast learner lol.
        Maybe I should go out to the garage right now and at least pull out the manual and the CD and read as much as I can about it for now.
        Measure twice....cut once.
        Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• Wood_workur
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Ohio
          • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by RodKirby
          ...It involves ALL my senses: Nothing beats the smell of freshly cut wood. Touching (and smelling) a planed surface that you finally got "just right". The sheen on a well-finished project is worth all the effort....
          I prefer not to taste my wood.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          ...1. Patience is a virtue.
          2. Learn to be aware of your surroundings (or lose a digit at a time until you do, unsure if woodworkers, or yakuza started that one)
          3. Don't be afraid to ask for help, you can't know everything. (even though some people expect you to)
          4. Know your limitations and work smartly around them. (how many people get injured moving sheets of plywood)
          5. If you want something done right, do it yourself. (looking at today's particle board furniture)
          6. Try to be helpfull to others (I think Sam wins the gold medal for this, starting this site)
          7. You can have the tools, and aquire the ability, but then again you may not be an artist (some of the projects I have seen on here, woodworking is relaxing, but I don't have the time yet, to take it to that level)
          For me it is probably the joy in seeing something go from idea to object, or a roud piece of wood into a beautiful clock, along with EVERRYTHING LinuxRandal said. We are mortal beings, we can't know everything. We will never know everything. There is nothing wrong with saying "I need some help".
          Alex

Comment

• onedash
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Maryland
            • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by rickd
            i don't know how many times i've started things and then said to myself "i can't do this". but, by persevering, i've discovered that in allmost all cases i can - and the result is "experience".
            I don't know how many times Ive started things and said I CAN do this and after much time realized I can't.....At least not until I get the right tool.

Not to many tools I "need" but there are plenty I WANT.

My number one reason is to save money. Even if you add the price of a new tool or two its usually still cheaper than the one in the store. Might have a few mistakes "character" plus you can say you made it. And hopefully some day they can say my Great Grandad bult this with his own hands. And a garage full of cool tools. Or maybe they can sell it on Ebay as an antique.
            YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

I really want to thank everyone who took the time answer, and to those who will.

I forgot the big lesson I learned. I suppose most young boys can say this when they are older, but I wish the heck I'd listened closer to dad when he tried to introduce me to wood working as a child. He was a master of the table saw.

The old man got a lot smarter as I got older.

Thanks again everyone.
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• sacherjj
                Not Your Average Joe
                • Dec 2005
                • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

The thing I like most about getting more and more into woodworking (and similar "creation" hobbies) is that your mindset changes. It is no longer a "can I make that?" as much has it is a "what is the best way to make that." What a great feeling.

The other thing I like is learning from my elders. I am used to teaching my elders about computers and other technical things. It is great to meet with many of the guys at our local woodworking club and learn from them. Some have been woodworking twice as long as I have been alive.

Patience. If you go fast to finish something, it will often take twice as long, once you mess it up too many times.
                Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...