Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Should I feel bad?

'Cause I don't.

I was taking my daughter to Grandma and Grandpa this morning. Along the way there is an intersection - they have a stop sign, my road doesn't. A woman pulled up to the intersection, saw me but started to go, hesitated, then pulled out, then hesitated again in the middle of the intersection. She did everything exactly wrong - if she'd romped it and just gone she'd have been ok.

I missed the @$$-end of her car by a few inches while I was turning/sliding across the intersection and stopped on the shoulder without ending up in the ditch. My daughter thought it was fun - I was shaking with rage. The woman stopped and started to get out, I was already at her car door and yelled at her with the full intention of making her cry. If it was a guy more than likely I'd have punched him. It worked - I left her there blubbering. I don't think she will ever do anything that stupid again.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

Maybe not in NC, but a lot of other places these days, even the women will SHOOT you. And if you were advancing on her in a rage at the time, might very well get away with it in court. Not worth the risk. You are not responsible for her "education".
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

David,

How long do you suppose that driver would last here?
      Saigon intersection (Note: This is a Windows Media Player file)

Kinda puts sissy things like stop signs and "right-of-way" into perspective, huh?
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by crokett
        'Cause I don't.

I was taking my daughter to Grandma and Grandpa this morning. Along the way there is an intersection - they have a stop sign, my road doesn't. A woman pulled up to the intersection, saw me but started to go, hesitated, then pulled out, then hesitated again in the middle of the intersection. She did everything exactly wrong - if she'd romped it and just gone she'd have been ok.

I missed the @$$-end of her car by a few inches while I was turning/sliding across the intersection and stopped on the shoulder without ending up in the ditch. My daughter thought it was fun - I was shaking with rage. The woman stopped and started to get out, I was already at her car door and yelled at her with the full intention of making her cry. If it was a guy more than likely I'd have punched him. It worked - I left her there blubbering. I don't think she will ever do anything that stupid again.
        when you saw her starting to go, did you have enough time to slow down? I know I don't trust people on the road. Once they start to do something weird, I get ready for the worse.

As far as yelling and if it were a guy, you'd punch him. Do you want your little girl to live with her grandparents permanently? She could have watched her dad get killed as he was confronting the person.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by mschrank
          David,

How long do you suppose that driver would last here?
          Saigon intersection (Note: This is a Windows Media Player file)

Kinda puts sissy things like stop signs and "right-of-way" into perspective, huh?
          Lawdy that brings back memories - Saigon 1970 - hasn't changed a bit.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Russianwolf
            when you saw her starting to go, did you have enough time to slow down? I know I don't trust people on the road. Once they start to do something weird, I get ready for the worse
            Mike,

No. And I did slow down dramatically - I slow down some whenever someone approaches an intersection like that. But if she had not hesitated she'd have been clear and it would not be an issue. Problem was she hesitated (twice). Otherwise I could have slowed down and kept the car straight ahead so I wouldn't have to worry about going into a ditch.

As for the other comments regarding my personal safety, good points but I defy any of you not to react when someone stupidly puts one of yours in danger.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• just4funsies
              • Dec 2005
              • Florida.
              • BT3000

Your reaction did not reduce the danger to your daughter. If anything, it showed her that losing control when no good can come of it is OK. You were wrong. Fortunately, you were not DEAD wrong.
              ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

couple weeks ago I was driving down the road with the family in the van and a good ways up a car started to pull out to cross the road. I slowed down because I could see they were in no hurry to avoid me. The car next to me who was slightly ahead looked like they sped up. Then after it was to late they slammed on their brakes and smashed into them. I should have stuck around to tell the police they were both idiots and both to blame. On our way back over an hour later they were still there with the police. At least they were on a side street and not clogging up traffic and more than they needed to.
                Is it just Virginia or has the entire country gone nuts. THey have a fender bender here and sit right in the middle of the interstate. How bout pulling onto the shoulder. Traffic around VA Beach/Norfolk is so bad already an accident makes it pure ****.
                Yelling does no good. In cali a few years ago an old timer pulled out in front of me and I nailed him pretty hard. We both pulled into a parking lot and when I walked over to his car he was all shaking. He said he was fine and the accident isnt making him shake like that. It was his fault but my car was ok So we went on our way after the police said to just trade insurance numbers etc...strange...no injury no police I guess....
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Mar 2004
                  • Northern NJ, USA.
                  • BT3100

good

too often people complain about how society is going to hades in a handbasket.... and then do nothing about it. You did, good for you.

I know, we're not our brothers keepers. And if got anywhere near that, you'd hear me hollering against meddling people. (although, certain legislation of morals creeps on that, but that's another argument). Anyway, so people do nothing and then wonder why the fabric of society grows thin. By stressing and enforcing certain things, it helps. Of course, dropping dime on anyone is never allowed (okay, maybe murder/rape).

As far as getting killed? I doubt it. How many murders in the US last year? and how many as a result of road rage? not too many I bet. could happen sure, but very unlikely. I bet you've got better odds getting killed in a car accident then getting killed in an altercation of this sort. This is most likely a product of the media, you know "if it bleeds it leads" stuff. You might get punched yerself, but killed? doubful. I'm gonna be afraid to voice my opinion? I don't think so.

Well, whatever, you done good.

curt j.
                  A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• Bruce Platt
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2004
                    • Swanzey, NH, USA.

I just realize that the others on the roads are idiots. I give them room and ignore them. It just too dangerous to confirnt any of these people. Just smile and wave many times they will appreciate your kindness in the face of their stupity.

I wasn't always like this, the prozac certainley helps.
                    Bruce Platt

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by just4funsies
                      Your reaction did not reduce the danger to your daughter. If anything, it showed her that losing control when no good can come of it is OK. You were wrong. Fortunately, you were not DEAD wrong.
                      My daughter is 17mos. I doubt she even realized what happened.

Some good did come. My reaction reduced future danger to my daughter and/or other people. This woman will think twice before pulling out in front of someone again. She will probably be more careful in general.
                      David

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

There is this funny episode of road rage from about 10 years ago. We been out on a camping trip, and were driving home - about 4 cars in a caravan. The first car pulls up to an intersection with a stop sign, and start turning right. (empty road) At this point, this steel alligator of a Chevy comes flying out of a parking lot just to our left (without checking for the traffic mind you), and makes a great show of almost hitting our first car, screeching to a stop about 2 feet away. The driver bursts out in rage, this meathead type in a biker outfit, runs to our friend's car, who's only had his GF with him, and starts yelling, and kicks his car door. Apparently looking for a fight.

Well, seeng all that, the rest of us in the 3 cars behind start getting out. Most of us still in our camping gear (fatigues, boots, vests, some with knives still strapped on). There are about 8 of us, and we don't look friendly.

The meathead takes one look at us, and apprently, he is no longer looking for a fight. I frankly did not think a guy that big could move that fast. With a look of abject terror, he jumps into his car, slams into rear gear, makes a U-turn and blasts off.

On a more sinister side, I've read about cases when 'idiot driver' was a stageup that caused you to stop and hopefully exit your vehicle 'to have a talk'. At which point the rest, usually in a car behind you, would drive up and rob you.

I guess, the idea is, you never know what you are getting into when you get out to 'discipline' another driver.

My own idea of defensive driving: if I see someone ahead of me doing somehting stupid, I slow down - and stop if needed - and wait for the other car to be clear out of my way before proceeding. And if in unfamiliar area or at night, I drive with windows up and doors locked.

Comment

• 91FE
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

I'm with you crokett...I'm out of the car.

<The following is not a testament to my emotional capacities. For the most part, this was a one time deal.>

Long story short: A few years ago (read: younger and bullet proof), center city Philly by 30th St Station. My new car was 2 days old. Market Street is 2 lanes each way plus an occasional left turn lane. Jackass ahead was stopped at a red light waiting to turn left. Since I was continuing straight...I had a green light. As I'm a mere few feet behind him...he decides he's going to cross 2 lanes of traffic and make a right turn from the left lane. I jambed on the breaks and the distance between our cars could have only be measured with atoms. I regained my composure and chased after him to the left. He was stopped in traffic at the next light...nowhere to go. I get out and try and entice him (picture 6'-3, 260 me screaming the nastiest stuff you can imagine) to get out of the car. Apparently his brain chose to come back on line and he decided it was in his best interest to stay within the confines of his car.

Since he wouldn't come out...I decided I was going in. Gave his driver's door 3 full-on kicks until the entire thing was caved in (the kind of caved in where I guarantee he had to climb across to get out). A crowd had formed and the light turned, so we both went our separate ways in a hurry.

Am I sorry? NO! Would I do it again now that I'm older, wiser and married? Probably not
                          I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                            Bandsaw Box Momma
                            • Apr 2005
                            • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Crokett,
                            I think I would have done the same thing. I agree with you about putting the ones we love in the middle of danger or some stupid driver. Now most of you know that Mark was a truck driver so I don't put up with many stupid drivers on the road. I will yell out the window at them and gesture. I would have gotten out of my car and did the same thing. Now being that lady and some man came up to my car yelling at me I would probably get out and yell back and call him some names back. But I also know that if you are going to go through an intersection you get through the dang thing so your not causing a problem...this is just my opinion on this topic...
                            Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• scorrpio
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by 91FE
                              Since he wouldn't come out...I decided I was going in. Gave his driver's door 3 full-on kicks until the entire thing was caved in (the kind of caved in where I guarantee he had to climb across to get out).
                              And if the scene was witnessed by a police officer - or if he got your plate number and chose to press charges - You'd be reamed with full assault and property damage charges. All he had to do is stay there after you drove off, dial the police, and either ask a few witnesses to wait, or at least get their data. And I can guarantee that you'd be regretting that incident till this day. You got by on the shock factor - someone with a cooler head would get you the whole nine yards.

Comment

Working...