Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Starting out - Which Tools / Project?

Thanks Norm - we need a reminder every now and then

Based on some we've seen in the past, this guy got off lightly!

A Professional is someone who does what they say they will do.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • pnctar
    • Jan 2003
    • Arlington, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Must be the moon ... here's another one from a CMS.

Steve
    Shadow box?! and you want it when?
    Steve
    There are no mistakes in woodworking, only opportunities to reevaluate the design! - Jim Tolpin

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

my goodness, it does make you stop and think. Thanks Norm for the warning. Bill

If You can't be good for nothing, do it for free!
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• wassaw998
        • Jul 2004
        • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Starting out - Which Tools / Project?

I just got the HF HSS set this weekend, and a lathe. Have not even put the lathe together. I've watched a few videos (Del Stubbs, and Raffan (sp)) and have read a few books. I am a bit apprehensive. Do I need a big "roughing gouge" to start out with, or, is what came in the HF set enough to get me stared. Also, what is a good thing to start out on, for someone who has zero experience? I figure I need to sharpen the tools too, although they do seem to have a pretty sharp edge on them (cut my finger !).

I still need to pick up a face shield before I start.

Thanks.
        Chris

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

The set you have will work fine. A lot of turners like a really big roughing gouge as the weight and mass of it absorb vibration and they can rough the piece down quicker. Me, I have never been in a hurry. As for starting out I suggest that you concentrate on the basics of spindle turning. Candle holders are a nice project to build some skills on. Start with smaller pieces less than 2” so if you have a slip or break it the piece will have little energy. When I first started I used a lot of pine 2X4 to practice with because it was so cheap. Other people frown on using such wood starting out because of the difficulty in turning it. If you do decide to purchase wood to practice on then I suggest something with a strait grain like Cherry.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

I will add to Georges comments by adding that straight tree limbs make good starter wood also.
            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• wassaw998
              • Jul 2004
              • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Well, I have a ton of wood out in the back. Most of it is pine, but, some other stuff too. Cut some down recently to clear an area. I think even my wife would be shocked to find I had done something with a tree limb ! (well, besides getting thumped on the head with it as it flew off the lathe).
              Chris

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Turning the limbs can be fun. Several of the things I have made lately came from a large Cedar branch. A few things. Start out small like below 3” in diameter, Make sure your headstock and tailstock are in alignment. Turn on your lathe and set to the slowest speed. The mount your branch between centers and begin slowly roughing to round. You can speed the lathe up as you get the piece round. There should be no reason to exceed 1200 to 1500 rpm. Be safe.

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Plus one on the face shield. I had things fly in the general direction of my face a few times.

I think pens are a relatively easy but very rewarding project. And you can use almost any tool in the HF kit to turn them... But in general: practice, practice, practice. Use firewood, tree limbs etc, and just get a feel for the woods and how the various tools work. They all work different, some can be used in multiple modes (shear cut, scraping). Just experiment with scraps, no need to make something great out of them at first. You'll have fun!

Gerd

Comment

• PopaBear
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2004
                    • USA.

one thing that the others didnt mention but is a major concern is to keep the tools sharp as you work. Right out of the box the HF set is ok for things like Pine and stuff but for harder woods like Cocobolo or Ironwood i would defintly suggest putting a better edge on the tools.

you can use a standard grinder for the sharpening if you like and with a little searching on the net you should be able to find some plans for jigs to help sharpen the tools. I would suggest if you use a standard grinder that you get a couple fine grit wheels for it. I use the 80 and 120 grit from Woodcraft.

Popabear

Comment

Working...