• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Value of a lathe to sell?

I'll be selling our Jet JWL-1236 along with a few of the usual accessories/chucks. I am guessing I should sell the cutting tools separately, probably. I can't seem to find any others to compare prices. Thoughts? The lathe is in great shape, with the OEM stand. No rust or issues. I have no idea what to ask for it. eBay seems like a challenging place to sell it because of the shipping issues, but might work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7247.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	840872
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I'd sell it on FB.

I'm in the upper Ohio Valley - and we have an Ohio Valley woodworker's forum on FB.
    Lots of stuff gets swapped and sold.

FB Market works - and seems to work really well. I just sold a Starett Level for $200 --- so it's working for me.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

There were two on eBay. one at $900 and one at $700+. I am not good at pricing as I tend to undersell to get rid of something I can't or don't use anymore. But my idea was in the $700- $800 range.

What brings the price down now is that EVS is flooding the market for buyers. I have the Grizzly version of the 1236 - purchased in 2015 and even then it had a readout. I know old timers who despise "readouts" because they never had them before. But they sure are nice. I think the accessories will make a large difference in getting someone to purchase it. Be sure to list them individually in with your selling price. And I agree, the cutting tools/chisels will usually sell on their own at a better price.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I don't use Facebook at all any more, and when I did, sales there were a cesspool of idiots. So my plan is CL, which I use all the time, and maybe eBay as a pickup or "you handle freight" kind of sale. Thanks for the price opinions, and I list everything at a good price and "firm, period." No haggling. I'd rather leave $20 on the table than deal with haggling.

Comment

Working...