• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Camphor candy dish - funnel and save

I recently got some camphor logs with nice color inside, and decided to make a small bowl/candy dish. I ended up going through the bottom (depth gauge issue) and decided to try to save the piece because of the interesting grain and color. Video linked below. Thanks for watching!

Last edited by cphelps; 09-06-2022, 07:45 PM.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Hey Bill,
    Beautiful bowl and great video. I have a question. How did you fill in the tear-out near the upper edge. You said you used padauk chips and Super Glue. I'm not sure I understand how you pulled that off. Do you grind the chips down and mix with glue or ..... I don't understand. Thanks.
    Richard
    Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Hi Richard, just now seeing your response. Thank you, I love camphor, and hope to turn some more soon. Yes, the padauk is essentially shavings from the lathe (other turnings), and when I use these or similar to fill cracks or knot-holes, I crush them into a more powder-like consistency, push into the target area, and add thin CA - this soaks into the material and sets/cures very fast. I repeat until there's enough material to leave the fill slightly proud of the adjacent area, then I resume turning. Coffee grounds are another great "natural" filler.
      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 09-13-2017, 06:06 PM.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, Bill. I may give that a try.
        Richard

Comment

• Two Much
          Established Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Long Island, NY
          • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

You think it came out ok??? It came out great! You made it look so easy ( and I know it's not easy)
          The bowl is lovely and the center save is awesome. You make me want to be a turner.

One question, If you made a bowl big enough and shaped to hold a small plastic
          pot for a plant, I think that would be awesome. Did you ever do anything
          like that? Of course the plastic pot would have to be inserted into another pot ( without
          a hole on the bottom) to keep water from ruining the wood.

If I was at a craft fair and saw turned bowls with a plant in it, it sure would catch my eye.
          Joann.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Hi Joann, thanks for your kind comments. I think your idea is creative, and might work with one of those plastic flower pots that has the little drip tray underneath. I'll see if I can find one, and see what I can come up with.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Two Much
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Long Island, NY
              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              Hi Joann, thanks for your kind comments. I think your idea is creative, and might work with one of those plastic flower pots that has the little drip tray underneath. I'll see if I can find one, and see what I can come up with.
              Bill, you don't need a pot with a drip tray. I was thinking more along the lines of a plastic plant pot with a hole in it,
              then a pot a little bigger (without the hole) to hold the plant pot. This way the water will drain into the second pot
              and the wood would be protected.

Comment

Working...