• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Turning Infested Birch

So, I have discovered our paper birch tree is infested with a borer. Half the tree is dead and the other half is showing signs of infestation. I am going to cut the whole thing down.

Can I do anything with the wood or is is best to just burn it all? I would love to save some for bowl blanks and other smaller projects.
    Joe
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I guess it depends on the type of infestation. If the pest is one that can survive in the wood after the tree is felled, I would recommend burning it. If you can find way to be certain you can kill the pest while keeping bowl blanks, I don't see a problem. To me the most important consideration would be whether or not you are going to facilitate the spread of a pest.
    Chr's

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

As twistol say it really depends on how bad it is and how much decent wood you think you will recover from it. Do you know exactly what the infestation is? I had something eating into the large walnut slabs I used to make the table I posted recently. After much research I ended up using some Timbor to treat the wood.I had previously used a general termite spray to get the basic stuff killed. As it happens once fully treated and I started cleaning out some of the debris I found 2 rather large Carpenter Bees in there. They make rather large holes!

Assuming you do decide to keep the logs I would put them somewhere in the yard away from any of you other stored wood while you treat the infestation. Then cut to reasonable sized blanks to dry and season. that way you can be reasonably sure you git all the little buggers!

I got the Timbor from Amazon.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Joey,
        Jon's suggestion of Timbor is good. An additional method is to create a kiln of sorts and sufficiently heat the wood to kill the bugs. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpE7JNnHIRo
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
          Joey,
          Jon's suggestion of Timbor is good. An additional method is to create a kiln of sorts and sufficiently heat the wood to kill the bugs. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpE7JNnHIRo
          Interesting video Bill. His little makeshift kiln was averaging 140 degrees with the heater. Here in Phoenix yesterday we topped out near 120! I bet if I made some form of metal enclosure and left it out in the sun it would go way higher then 140!
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by poolhound

Interesting video Bill. His little makeshift kiln was averaging 140 degrees with the heater. Here in Phoenix yesterday we topped out near 120! I bet if I made some form of metal enclosure and left it out in the sun it would go way higher then 140!
            Great idea Jon - lexan might work too (like a green house) - would be interesting to try a scale model and check the temps. (120! - I don't know how you do it.)
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...