• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I Need a Chuck

I'd like to start turning some small bowls and the like. I have a Rikon midi lathe. What's a good chuck to start with that won't break the bank? My bank is already in pain after getting started with pens, lol.
    Joe
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    I'd like to start turning some small bowls and the like. I have a Rikon midi lathe. What's a good chuck to start with that won't break the bank? My bank is already in pain after getting started with pens, lol.
    Few hobbies start this modest in expense and then jump to major bucks as quickly as turning! LOL

I have a PennState chuck and a Grizzly chuck. I like both of them just fine. I bought mine, 6 to 8 years ago.

<p>This 4-Jaw, Self-Centering Chuck with dovetailed jaws is great for small bowl and plate turning and features jaws that grip by clamping around the workpiece or expanding to fit a turned recess. The minimum diameter required for clamping around the workpiece is 1-1/4" and the minimum diameter required for expansion is 1-13/16". Includes T-handled wrenches and wood screw point. Works great with optional H6268 and H6269 jaws, which are available for additional clamping options.<p><b>Specifications:</b><ul><li>Type: 3-3/4" 4-Jaw Self Centering<li>Size: 1"<li>TPI: 8</ul>

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Joe,
      I'll second Hank's recommendations, and add another for your consideration - PSI's original Barracuda. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC2000C.html

I like the Barracuda 2 for being a keyed chuck, but it doesn't come with the larger jaws for larger bowl/platter turning. My solution - I bought both, and I have two chucks with fully interchangeable jaws (but I wanted to have one set up with Cole Jaws for those times I needed to reverse the bowl.) Cole jaws: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CJAWFJ2.html

And to Hank's comment about quickly eating budget - I then wanted dedicated Pen jaws set up, so got the PSI mini chuck and pens jaws. The nice thing about these particular PSI chucks is that the same jaws work all of them.
      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-12-2016, 08:38 PM.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I have a Wood River Chuck 4 jaw, and a Central Machinery Jacobs style chuck. I am assuming you are talking a 4 jaw. The wood river is great by me, but I have big hands and the double rod tighten / loosen mechanism works fine for me, smaller hands might have problems with it though...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I don't think you could go wrong with the Nova G-3 which you won't outgrow if you move up to a larger lathe.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

I have a Busy Bee and an Oneway basic chuck the Oneway is much smoother in operation and rock solid.

Regards Bob

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Thanks for all the replies. I was already sort of leaning towards the Nova G3 and Dick's recommendation certainly helps that cause. I like the single geared tool to adjust the jaws, but I really don't know anything, lol.
              Joe

Comment

Working...