• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Woodturning wire-burning on the cheap

I like the effect of wire-burning embellishment on certain pieces as a subtle accent (especially tool handles), and some of the newer turners may be interested in giving this a try.

I made my own burning wires using these Wooden Balls from Michael's as handles (drilled to accept wire), and this stainless wire also from Michael's. Enough handle material to make five burners, and enough wire to make more, for ~$11 total. I made two for me, and two as a gift for my neighbor, who also turns. One is about five inches long for small turnings, and the other about 8 inches long for larger. After drilling the handles with my smallest bit (1/16), I slipped both onto the wire, bent about 1/4in of the wire ends back on themselves, epoxied, and pulled handles onto the wire ends so the folded ends just fit inside the end of the handle.

To use, after making a slight groove in the workpiece where you want to add the burned line (so the wire doesn't wander on the workpiece), hold the wire-burner by the handles so the wire is stretched out taut, and hold the wire against the workpiece (higher RPM works better). I hold mine against the top side of the workpiece. Never wrap the wire around the workpiece. A little smoke from the workpiece will tell you when your done. The wire is very hot afterward, so be careful where you set it, and allow to cool before storing.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Nice! The few times I wanted a burn line I just used some dowel-like cutoffs as handle and some leftover copper wire. The copper wire doesn't last long when it gets too hot, so moving it and using "just enough" pressure helps. It worked out OK.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm sensing this burns from the friction of the wire on the turning wood heating it up and burning the wood, not an electrical burner, right?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I'm sensing this burns from the friction of the wire on the turning wood heating it up and burning the wood, not an electrical burner, right?
        That is correct.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

While I'm seeing the two links to Michael's, I'm not seeing a picture of you "wire burn"... did you post one? I'm not a woodturner, but I would like to see an example of what you are talking about.

Thanks,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

CW,
            I didn't have photos in the OP, but here are a few - one of my small burning wire, one of a recent tool handle I made with the lines burned, and a picture (not me) from KC-brand wire burners, showing how I use them.
            Attached Files
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Bill,

Thanks for the picture post. Not being very familiar with turning, the "wire burning" left me curious. That's pretty neat (as we used to say), and makes for a very nice 'look' on a handle or other turned project.

Some day I'd like to get into turning, but not sure how I'd fit that in with all the other projects on my 'to do' list. The expense seems pretty formidable too, at least in the near future. Maybe in a couple of years.

When I was in high school (Class of 62), my senior-year woodshop class took on two big projects; one being the manufacture of desks, which had tapered legs. I was part of that 'team' and made a lot of those legs. That was my only familiarity with the lathe. It was fun though and I'd love to get back into learning the art.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Yes, the costs of start-up with the lathe range greatly based on the goals of the turner. And to really plumb the depths of the art, one can make or invest in a LOT of additional tooling/fixtures, etc. If you think you'll stick to pens and small things, entry cost can be minimal. If you really want to do bowl/vessel turning, costs will add up quickly. Good advice from a woodturning forum where I'm a member: Find a local turning club, attend a couple sessions, hook up with someone willing to let you have a go at it, and then decide how to balance your goals and budget.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Thanks Bill,

Believe it or not, what I think I'd really like to do with 'turning' is to make my own Chess pieces. That's a bit way off as my list of other things needed is rather long at this point. But I've played the game since I was in my late adolescents. Not particularly good at it, and I haven't played in years; but, I've always thought it would be nice to make my own set, and perhaps some for a few friends and relatives.

Over the next few months I'll be busy turning my new shed into a shop, but perhaps next year I'll be able to add a small lathe and give it a go. The 'wire burning' would definitely add some distinction to the pieces.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

Working...