• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

tool handle question

I was sharpening my mower blade with a file and thought, it would really be nice to have a handle for this thing. So the question is, do you turn first then drill the hole, or drill the hole, then turn.

I think I asked this before and you guys with chucks, I think, said doesn't matter (or something like that). I have no chuck and can only turn between centers.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Paul,
    Will you be drilling your hole on the lathe, drill press, or other? Do you have a cone-type live center, or just the standard cup/point style that comes with many lathes?

I prefer to drill the hole first, but best to drill so the hole is as close to parallel to the length of the handle as you can get (so your tool wont mount crooked later). I drill on the lathe, but you can probably rig your drill press. Drilling first obviates trying to find a way to grip a turned handle later for drilling (without marring it), and lets me put my cone-type live center into the hole, using the spur drive in the headstock on what will be the butt-end of the handle. So then I can also shape, sand, and finish on lathe - then part off, sand/finish the end, mount ferrule and tool, and you're done.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Bill,

Drilling on the lathe would require a chuck, right?

I have 2 live centers. I think they are both the cup/point type, right? You can see both in this picture.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Drilling on the lathe would require a drill chuck for your lathe, but not necessarily a scrolling chuck to hold the workpiece (although I find this is the best practice). Don't know if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, but they have an MT2 drill chuck that would work (its the one I own and use.) If you go this route, without a scrolling chuck, I have seen a spur drive used in the tailstock with the drill chuck in the headstock - you would have to hold your handle blank securely as you start to drill and advance the tailstock; after about an inch of hole started, you could manually push the blank further onto the drill bit, still holding it securely, and remember to back it off a bit to clear chips. If you question your ability to hold the blank securely, this may not be for you.

Looks like your live centers are the cup/point type. In this case, if you aren't interested in buying a 60 degree cone-type live center, you can make one to fit over what you've got. Here's a YouTube link on something you could make from some shop scrap.
        This video demonstrates making a wooden cone shaped sleeve to go over your tailstock live center. This is a very handy accessory as shown in my videos about...

I realize in this video he is using a scrolling chuck to hold what will become the cone center, but you could also do this with a faceplate that has a screw to be your drive center in the headstock; this would require drilling a smaller starter hole to fit the screw via your drill press.
        Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 04-18-2015, 01:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

You know they sell these darn things for 1-3 bucks a pop. Hardly worth getting your chuck dirty.
          Is this what you want? The tapered tail on most files threads into the steel threads on these handles.

Lowes and home depot have these as well.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2015, 09:41 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Bill, I did go looking for that chuck at HF but couldn't find it. Next time I'll call ahead. For now, I'll just clamp it in a vise and use a hand drill. The tang on the file isn't that long.

I almost pulled the trigger on a four jaw chuck. Woodcraft had their house brand on sale for $90, but none in the store. Then I checked PSI and they have a very similar chuck that comes with an extra set of mini jaws and jumbo jaws for the same price, but there's a wait list. I added my name.

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sorry about wandering off topic, but I have the same need - for a couple of files and also for a multi-head screw driver that I love. I was similarly thinking of turning some handles, but I think I'll take Loring's advice and go to Amazon. Those are pretty good options. Thanks Loring!
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                Bill, I did go looking for that chuck at HF but couldn't find it. Next time I'll call ahead. For now, I'll just clamp it in a vise and use a hand drill. The tang on the file isn't that long.

I almost pulled the trigger on a four jaw chuck. Woodcraft had their house brand on sale for $90, but none in the store. Then I checked PSI and they have a very similar chuck that comes with an extra set of mini jaws and jumbo jaws for the same price, but there's a wait list. I added my name.
                Paul, I have this PSI economy chuck, found it to be a good deal. I plan to buy a couple more so as set up one set up with these pen jaws (purchased separately), another with the #2 jaws, and the last set with their "jumbo" jaws.) I also have this other set of jaws I picked up separately, mostly for the large jaws for larger bowls - but all in due time. I didn't know there was a wait list, but should probably put my name on as well.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                  I didn't know there was a wait list, but should probably put my name on as well.
                  FYI. I just got a notice from PSI that the chuck is back in stock. I'm on the slippery slope!

Comment

Working...