• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MBG
    • Apr 2003
    • Chicago, Illinois.
    • Craftsman 21829

Holding Big Bowl Blanks

I'm an inexperienced turner (10 bowls so far, and several pens) who got hooked on bowls. I found some wood that I can make 16" to 18" diameter bowls. I know, I will most likely split the wood down to make more reasonable sized bowls but really want to make a large bowl (besides - that was the justification for a larger lathe to the wife).

Anyway, my lathe came with a 3" faceplate - too small. I did find an 8" FP on the bay which should work well but I was wondering if I could have used something I had on-hand:

My chuck with a worm screw and steel cole jaws applied without the retaining knobs. Then I could have put screws through the back of the cole jaw plates into the blank. My cole jaws are 1/2" thick and maybe 9" diameter.

Thanks,

Mike
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

My Harbor Freight lathe came with a 6" faceplate that I prefer using for larger turnings VS my Penn State 3" plate.

Penn State does have a 6" face plate for about $30.00

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CF6.html?prodpage=1CF

Of course you will need to locate one to fit your headstock threads but that one will fit my lathe anyway...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

You could make a larger faceplate out of another piece of scrap wood or baltic birch to fit on to your 3" faceplate.
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by bmyers
        You could make a larger faceplate out of another piece of scrap wood or baltic birch to fit on to your 3" faceplate.
        I'd be concerned about the forces working on that.

And remember: do not use drywall screws with face plates! They are to brittle and can snap when you get a catch. http://jlrodgers.com/pdf/faceplates.pdf

Comment

Working...