Harbor Freight horses.
    LOL! so true

Comment

• lrr
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Fort Collins, Colorado
      • Ryobi BT-3100

Yeah, I saw an ad that says "Our motors pack a lot of ponies". Now it doesn't seem so fantastic ...
      Lee

Comment

• sscherin
        • Dec 2003
        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have the $50 HSS HF set item#69723 .. Out of the box they are OK but they will take a nice edge..

Withe the fatory edge and my ham fisted attempts on the grinder I had problems with lots of tear out when turning cherry.

I sharpened the skew with a Lansky kit I have for the the kitchen knives. It got the skew sharp enough to cleanly slice a sheet of paper end to end and turn cherry to an amazing smooth finish that almost glows.

That edge held up through about 12 blanks ( a mix of acrylics, purple heart and desert Iron wood) before it needed a touch up. It was back to throwing nice little curls with just a few swipes on the stone to dress it up.

90% of the time I just use the large skew, either roughing gouge and the parting tool for pen work.
        William's Law--
        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Christmas brought a set of the Bodgers, which was a nice surprise. Can't wait to test drive them and make a comparison.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Ruben
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013
            • Middletown NY
            • Ryobi

Originally posted by sscherin
            I have the $50 HSS HF set item#69723 .. Out of the box they are OK but they will take a nice edge..
            i finally got that same set, and i noticed that, they didnt come with a nice edge. i guess i have to do a little bit of sharpening before. I can't wait to start playing, but my shop is in the basement with no heat, and with the temperature outside in the low 20, it's a little bit unpleasant to work there

Comment

• Ruben
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2013
              • Middletown NY
              • Ryobi

Originally posted by Cochese
              Christmas brought a set of the Bodgers, which was a nice surprise. Can't wait to test drive them and make a comparison.
              keep us posted to see how they work compared to the cheap ones.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Ruben
                i finally got that same set, and i noticed that, they didnt come with a nice edge. i guess i have to do a little bit of sharpening before. I can't wait to start playing, but my shop is in the basement with no heat, and with the temperature outside in the low 20, it's a little bit unpleasant to work there
                I bought a little personal heater about this time last year for $5. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to the Craftsman garage heater and it does quite a nice job for $40. I bet with your basement you have better insulation than my standalone shop, it might work well for you.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-ceram...p-03290285000P

It's the only way I'm going to be able to be in my shop for about the next six weeks or so.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Ruben
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Middletown NY
                  • Ryobi

Originally posted by Cochese
                  I bought a little personal heater about this time last year for $5. I upgraded a couple of weeks ago to the Craftsman garage heater and it does quite a nice job for $40. I bet with your basement you have better insulation than my standalone shop, it might work well for you.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-ceram...p-03290285000P

It's the only way I'm going to be able to be in my shop for about the next six weeks or so.
                  My basement is unfinished, concrete floor and no insulation at all, and to make things worse we have water problems, if it rains a lot it gets wet.
                  I've been using a ceramic heater, but when it's below 30 is imposible to take the chill off with a small heater, i think my best bet would be a propane heater, or better yet, move to a house with a nice shed with a woodstove
                  daydreaming...

Comment

• sscherin
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Originally posted by Ruben

I sharpened my skew sitting at the dining room table in a nice warm room.

As long as I don't do anything dumb like melt her new table cloth (again!) she is very forgiving of my sneaking shop work up into the living space. If it does not stink, make much noise or damage the table I can generally get away with it.
                    Last edited by sscherin; 12-27-2013, 06:02 AM.
                    William's Law--
                    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...