• Show
Clear All
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

A Diva, A Bolt Action, and Celtic Knots

Sounds risque, doesn't it?

I tackled my first attempts at acrylics. I'm at 50% success The first attempt proved that my skew technique went askew, and I skewered my blank and it shattered at the nib end. I'm working on salvaging it. We won't talk about the boneheaded mistake I made with turning the wrong tube for the nib end of a Cigar-style.

The first success is a Diva. The blank is Chocolate Cherry, which was a sourced from www.exoticblanks.com. I reverse-painted the blank with chocolate brown acrylic paint. Finish was a dry sand to 1200, and then through four steps of with Polarshine Turners Polish (available at Woodcraft).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diva.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	798549

Second success is a Bolt action with a keychain made from the remainder of the blank. One of my brothers hosts a charity live auction in December, from which the proceeds go toward purchasing toys for kids in need. I'm donating the set for the auction. The acrylic is called Green Kryptonite, which I purchased from Woodcraft. I reverse painted the blank black. I dry sanded through 1200 grit, and then polished with Polarshine Turners Polish.

Name:	Bolt&Keychain.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	798550

Finally, coworker was fascinated with a Celtic knot pen I made as a retirement gift for my former boss, and she asked if I could make a pen and pencil set for her daughter. So I did because my coworker is one of my favorite people.

Name:	Knotset.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	798552 Click image for larger version

Name:	KnotPair.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	798551

The pencil is in the foreground. The blank is redheart. The "rope" is a sandwich of white oak between two layers of dyed veneer. I was going for the sisal rope look. I made the knots different sizes in order to balance the proportions, which was a bit of a guessing game. If I had made the knots the same, I don't think they would have "looked right." Finish was 10 applications of Hut Crystal Coat over two days.

Thanks for looking
    Brian
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

nice work!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Nice celtic knot! As are all the other items. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice work.

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

The diva is fabulous.

Regards Bob

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

Thank you for the comments. My brother told me that the bolt action and keychain combo sold for $205 That was well above what I hoped.

I'm thinking the clientele (rural, outdoorspersons) and one-of-a-kind offering helped.
            Brian

Comment

• Ruben
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2013
              • Middletown NY
              • Ryobi

They look amazing! i wish one day i can make something like that

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

I'm no expert turner, but I have done maybe a dozen acrylic pens. I followed the advice that I believe I found in the Craft Supplies catalog. I took a scraper and ground a less aggressive edge on it, and chipping is basically non-existent. While griiting my teeth, I do run the skew over a blank for some final smoothing, and then use Micro Mesh pads to get them smooth as glass.

I really struggle with the skew, and putting one to acrylic, IMHO, is not for the faint of heart.

I guess I need to watch some YouTube videos, and then chuck some different woods and acyrlics into the lathe some time and just get some practice in with the skew.
                Lee

Comment

Working...