• Show
Clear All
  • T...K21
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2012
    • Southern Idaho
    • BT3100

Rolling pin material.

Any suggestions to what kind of material to use for rolling pins? Also what to finish it with? Thanks, T
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

For wood rolling pins, maples seems to be the most popular, maybe something hard and dense like hickory would also work well.

http://www.fantes.com/rolling-pins.html
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by T...K21
      Any suggestions to what kind of material to use for rolling pins? Also what to finish it with? Thanks, T
      There's quite a few species that can be used. Maple is very popular. Bamboo, beech, and birch (of common ones). The actual pin itself doesn't necessarily need a finish, or isn't usually finished. I don't use a finish on mine. Food grade mineral oil can be used if desired, but allow it to dry. You don't want it to be sticky. The handles can be lacquered or varnished. When cleaning, wash clean by hand and dry. I wouldn't soak one or leave submerged in water, or cycled in a dishwasher.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

I agree that maple seems to be the most often recommended wood for rolling pins. I used Jatoba with maple laminations for the one in the post below.

Here's rolling pin construction info that I posted on BT-3 in 2007. May give you some more ideas.
        < CLICK 1 >

The "turnedtreasures" link in my post has good info on creating rotating handles.

The "woodworkforums" link in my post shows how to create a celtic knot pattern. It requires you to register to see the pics. The good info is spread throughout the thread. I have a .pdf of the key posts and pics in the "woodworkforums" thread, but it is too large to post on this forum (651KB). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

And here is a link to a Dave Hout video. I also have .pdf's of the text of the video if you want them.
        < CLICK 2 >

- Lonnie
        Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 07-01-2012, 09:23 AM.
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• T...K21
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2012
          • Southern Idaho
          • BT3100

Watched the video with the laminated boards. I didn't know you could do that. That's great! I really like the contrast of the different colors of wood! Going to have to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Comment

Working...