• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Chuck Suggestion for HF Lathe

I have the 34706. I've done quite a bit of pens, a couple bowls and have started doing some candle holders. Just came across a nice amount of cherry bowl blanks, and I think it is time to invest in a chuck. Looking for suggestions for those that may have this lathe.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Woodriver 4 jaw chuck, and need the jumbo jaws for it. I have a friend with the Penn State Economy chuck with the jaws, and it appears to be exactly the same thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of them...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html

FWIW, I have fairly big hands, so using the lever type chucks is no big deal to me. Some people have problems using them, only thing I can figure is small hands that can't grasp both levers with one hand...

IF you are willing to spend the extra, the keyed chucks, particularly the PSI Barracuda chucks are REALLY nice units. I just don't see the advantage if you have no problems with a regular chuck...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

Originally posted by dbhost
      I have the Woodriver 4 jaw chuck, and need the jumbo jaws for it. I have a friend with the Penn State Economy chuck with the jaws, and it appears to be exactly the same thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of them...

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html

FWIW, I have fairly big hands, so using the lever type chucks is no big deal to me. Some people have problems using them, only thing I can figure is small hands that can't grasp both levers with one hand...

IF you are willing to spend the extra, the keyed chucks, particularly the PSI Barracuda chucks are REALLY nice units. I just don't see the advantage if you have no problems with a regular chuck...

I see that one you linked actually comes with a free set of jumbo jaws. Funny, I was just looking that one over wonderingwhat the difference was from the Woodcraft one.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I also have the 34706. I bought a Nova Midi-chuck for mine when they went on sale at Woodcraft. Since I only do small stuff, I have little use for a larger chuck. For about $60 I have found this chuck to be sufficient for my use.
        Richard

Comment

Working...