• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
    As a result, I've moved to using water based poly. Dries fast, cures pretty fast too. I do a dip or two, then I sand/ polish it to a high shine. Looks and works great, and I haven't had any complaints yet. (though admittingly I've used it for fewer pens).
    I have done a a few "dips" and I like it. I have to "plan" those but still, I like it. I did some dips with acrylic, a few will lacquer and a couple with water based poly: I even did a dip with a couple with CA Medium just to see how it worked and it did OK. I sure lost a few corks though!

For everyone's information (those who may not know) "Dipping" involves finish sanding the tubed blank and then corking the ends and tying a string or something similar to an eyelet or hook in the cork. Then Dip the blank into the finish. Pull it out and hang it up to dry or cure like dipping candles to build up layers. Nice smooth finish. Takes a little longer than CA on a lathe and takes smoothing the ends after taking the stoppers out.

There may be another method to the dipping that I am unaware of. It seems like things change rather quickly in pen making.

BigguyZ, If you get time, could you describe your method and the items needed for "dipping". I think we would all enjoy reading your method.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bean
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2012
      • Big Woods Country Morehead, KY
      • Porter-Cable Bandsaw, Kobalt Mitre Saw, B&D Circular Saw and Dewalt Cordless Portable Saw

Great idea on the Dipping, I've never tried that but I will. Thanks for sharing!

Bean

Comment

Working...