Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Casting in black epoxy?

Hi All,

I have a project in mind where I would cast items into black epoxy and turn the result. There would be quite large gaps (approximately 50% would be epoxy), and I'd like the epoxy to be black.

I have not much experience with epoxy beyond 5 minute epoxy for glueing.

What type of epoxy can you recommend that is not too expensive, and can be cut and polished to a high gloss? How can the epoxy be colored to be deep black? Or should I look at other materials, and if so what would those be?

Thanks

Gerd
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

i have no turning experience but I have perused this website before for casting ideas http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Pl.../c5/index.html
    hth
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Penturners.org has a LOT on casting.

But in general, I've used testors to color epoxy with good results. Just don't go overboard with the testors- a little dab will do you.

I think Woodcraft also carries a product specifically for that as well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

your biggest problems in casting epoxy are:
        1. mixing the epoxy and then getting the bubbles out. Turning it will show tiny bubble voids so you need to evacuate it after casting to boil off the bubbles. Like a bell jar and a vacuum pump. A low viscosity mix helps avoiding entraining bubbles.
        2. having the epoxy flow all around the item and leaving no voids - requires an item that can be poiured with no concave surfaces facing down that will trap bubbles
        3. selecting the right epoxy - slow set up you'll have to wait a long time, fast setup you will get heat damage, shrinkage and capture of bubbles before letting them get out.

I've not cast items in black for machining/turning but I've cast items in clear that required through visibility after curing.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-29-2011, 01:20 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Michaels and Hobby Lobby both have casting resins and tints for them. In general, these work better than epoxys with colors added.

Also, there are different kinds of resins so a little research will help. Some resins set in 5 minutes; some set in hours.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Thanks everybody for the tips! I found this stuff which looks promising:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Pl...325/index.html

It'll be a while before I get to this, but when I do I'll let you know what I ended up using and how it went.

Gerd

Comment

Working...