• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Update on HF Lathe

Several months ago I posted a question about my HF 34706 lathe running hot. Most everyone who responded told me to take it back under warranty for a replacement. In mid-January I took it back to Harbor Freight and they made a replacement in the most painless and professional manner I could have asked for. Unfortunately, when I set up the new lathe, the point of the headstock was not lining up with the point of the tailstock. (Off about 1mm) I posted a question about this and all of you told me the same thing – take this one back also.

I spoke to the manager of the local HF about this and she told me to bring it back the next morning for a new replacement. Again, kudos to HF.

Before taking this second one back, I decided to take the headstock apart to see if I could find anything wrong. The headstock rotates on a flattened donut-shaped piece of iron that is bolted to the cast iron bed. I removed this “donut,” cleaned off its bottom, and the iron that it sits on. I then replaced it. I also discovered a tension pin missing and two others that were bent. A trip to Lowes fixed these problems. I replaced the headstock and voila – it aligned perfectly. In any case, I want to thank everyone who answered my questions and also praise Harbor Freight for trying to make things right.
    Richard
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Mine is off by less than 1mm, the points just come ever so close but don't perfectly line up. I might just have to try your trick here... Thanks for posting!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...