• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Lathe Question

A few months ago I asked a question about my HF 34706 lathe running hot. Many of you suggested that I take the lathe back to HF while still under warranty. Kudos to HF for making the return very easy and painless. That was about 3 weeks ago. Today, I finally got the new lathe together and everything looks great except that the point on the headstock's drive center is not lining up perfectly with the point on the tailstock's live center. You can see that if you look at the photo. The perspective is from above and the two points are about 1mm apart. Viewed from the front perspective, they line up perfectly. My question: "Is the 1mm separation too much to expect to get good turnings since the axes are not the same?" I haven't tried it yet and just wondered if this much separation will cause the misalignment to vibrate the machine apart. "How much separation is acceptable?" Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Richard
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Not a turner but doesn't seem desirable to me.
    can you shim the mount or something to make them line up?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SteveO
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2010
      • Arvada, CO
      • BT3000 + BT3000 = BT6000

Hi Richard,

I'm new here, but I have that lathe and love it. Did you try loosening the headstock pivot handle and rotating the headstock without pulling out the rotation lock pin? Mine has about that amount of play before needing to pull the pin. I just line mine up and then crank down the pivot handle. Mine is dead on.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd want another return. HF is great about returns, even when it's more than once. I think it would cause issues on pens and tight-tolerance turnings.

Let us know what happens,
      Steve

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Richard - since you have the reversible head, there should be something to loosen the head and potentially correct this alignment issue. I'd try that angle first - loosen the headstock, and attempt to realign, tighten, and recheck.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

1 mm is too much. It should be dead on. Don't settle for less.

Even .1 (point 1, or 1/10th of 1) mm is too much if you are turning pens.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...