• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

A Good Cigar

I made this cigar pen for a friend at work. He gave me a cigar box full of cigar bands. It's aformosia finished with multiple coats of blo/ca to build up over the authentic cigar band. Thanks for looking.

From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Very nice! Pens really are a great way to come up with unique and thoughtful gifts that people can cherish. You can put a little of yourself, as well as a little of the recipient, into each one. The only downside is if you run out of people to give them to, but the military can help you with that one. There are a couple of "pens for troops" programs. Go to penturners.org and you'll find info.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Wow Richard! Very nice! I really need to get the lathe from my Dad's. The problem is if I do I know nothing else will get done.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice, just hope the recipient doesn't try to light it up!

A very nice, unique idea for the Cigar afficianado for sure!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Very nice pen Richard. I'm just starting pen turning and wonder if that is a kit and if so which one - am interested in trying to make one like it. Thanks.
          Richard

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by phrog
            Very nice pen Richard. I'm just starting pen turning and wonder if that is a kit and if so which one - am interested in trying to make one like it. Thanks.
            That is built on the classic Cigar kit (named for the shape; you have to provide the cigar band, not to mention the wood). The basic pen kit is available at any Woodcraft store, or any number of places online.

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              That is built on the classic Cigar kit (named for the shape; you have to provide the cigar band, not to mention the wood). The basic pen kit is available at any Woodcraft store, or any number of places online.
              Thanks UC. Is there a difference between brands, Woodcraft, PSI, etc? Do you need different size bushings and mandrels from brand to brand or are all the same? Thanks.
              Richard

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by phrog
                Thanks UC. Is there a difference between brands, Woodcraft, PSI, etc? Do you need different size bushings and mandrels from brand to brand or are all the same? Thanks.
                Nope, not really. Cigars is cigars pretty much anywhere you go, although there is sometimes a slight risk in buying around, just because the age of the kits might vary a bit, and most are made in China... I've never had any problems, though. You can always check with a caliper if you change sources. I get my ultra cigars at Woodcraft when I need them. All the rest, I get online from Arizona Silhouette... He's great.

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks UC. And I apologize to Richard in Smithville; I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
                  Richard

Comment

• Whaler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Sequim, WA, USA.
                    • DW746

Great looking pen Richard, fine job.
                    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...