• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Bought a new lathe

Took my 25% coupon to harbor freight on the 1st. Purchased the 34706 model that is spoken rather highly of for being a HF model.

Actually had to call to another store 2+ hours away to get my hands on one. My father-in-law picked it up and will be bringing it by soon.

I've only made pens on my benchtop lathe before I broke the belt. I tried my hand at a bowl that made me anxious to move to a bigger lathe with the adjustable speed. While I'm waiting for the lathe to arrive, I think I'm going to take another trip to HF to pick up their HSS turning tool set to replace my mini lathe tools I use for pen making.

Also am considering a turning class at Woodcraft by me if I can find the time. Anyone have any links to good online videos for bowl or vessel turning that they like?
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Just a note, the HF tool set does not include a bowl gouge so you may want to consider picking one up. I purchased a 3/8" Sorby and have been very pleased.
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to the Abyss...

I have had my 34706 for, a little under a year now. I have a couple of suggestions...

#1. Add ballast to the base. An out of round bowl blank will make you think you are on Dancing With The Stars with that lathe... I have put 3 @ #80 sand bags on mine, and it stops the dancing...

#2. If you don't have one yet, save up for, and buy a good chuck. Doesn't have to be super expensive.... I have the WoodRiver 4 jaw self centering chuck and am pleased with it. PSI Utility chucks are good bargains as well... If you can afford it though, the PSI Barracuda is a GREAT chuck, with a ring & pinion type key adjustment, very easy to tighten one handed.

#3. If your 34706 didn't ship with lock washers, buy a box of 5/16" lock washers. Or use LocTite on the threads. My stand has wiggled loose.

The Jet Shop Class Series they have posted on Youtube is pretty informative...

Just search for "Jet Lathe Turn A Bowl" and you will find a good 3 part series on the subject...

I have just yesterday finalized a design for a stand cabinet for this lathe, that features a cavity at the bottom for holding those sand bags, and 3 3.5" tall drawers. I left ample room over the cabinet to reach under to service the tool rest if needed as well. I will post the progress / finished product here as I think it will be of interest as this is a popular lathe here...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Just a note - are you aware that wood lathes come with a tail stock live center made for wood and not mandrels? Just checking. Pen Mandrels need 60° live centers that is standard in the metal lathe industry.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bfrikken
          • Apr 2005
          • Michigan, USA.
          • BT-3100

Originally posted by leehljp
          Just a note - are you aware that wood lathes come with a tail stock live center made for wood and not mandrels? Just checking. Pen Mandrels need 60° live centers that is standard in the metal lathe industry.
          I have one that was in use with my benchtop lathe. The guy I bought it from showed me the difference when he handed me the two live centers. He gave me a pen mandrel and the basic bushings for the slimline as well.

Comment

Working...