• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Celtic Knot - cuts missing?

I received an email from Wood Mag today with a link to a video by a young man making a celtic knot pen. Looks like there is a cut(s) missing. Am I wrong?

I like his method of not cutting all the way through the blank. It eliminates the problem of the rings not lining up.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

A 12 year old just taught me how to make a Celtic Knot. Very simple. Love his shop, evidently his dad is a wood worker. I couldn't tell if a cut was missing. Like the idea of now cutting all the way through the blank.

Tom

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

The video does not show all the cuts being made. The workpiece on the lathe does show them all (the 45-degree slice should appear on all 4 sides, and in the same orientation). And this is not a result of his not using through cuts, as the result of that method would show an "X" on all 4 sides.

(I prefer the non-through cut method, as it makes keeping the pieces in proper alignment during gluing much easier.)
      Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-17-2009, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Uncle C -

BINGO! You are right. Mystery solved. The uncut section hides an insert on each side.

>> Do you use a table saw or band saw for the cuts?

Hope to turn one or two this weekend.

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• phi1l
          • Oct 2009
          • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando

>> Do you use a table saw or band saw for the cuts?

I would think that would depend on the thickness of the piece of wood to be inserted. Band saw would have a thinner kerf, Table saw wider.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
            Do you use a table saw or band saw for the cuts?
            I use a thin-kerf blade in my BT... I also clamp the workpiece between two larger pieces of scrap for the cuts... It helps me keep my fingers out of harm's way.
            Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• georgel
              Handtools only
              • Oct 2007
              • Fuquay Varina, NC
              • Steel City 35623, BT3000

I'm Alex's dad. Thanks for looking at his video. I know he had a blast making it.

I'm missing something in the posts here as there seems to be some confusion. (maybe on my part) The video does show all 4 cuts. By not cutting all the way through the blank, the pattern on the blank is a Z not an X as you would have with through cuts. Here is a blank of Alex's from some of his Christmas pens.

As for the kerf, Alex adjusts the kerf (when needed) by shimming the blank and making more than one cut when the inlay is thicker than the kerf from a single cut. In the video the inlay was cut to the precise dimension of the kerf. For the photo above the kerf was adjusted to match the thickness of the lamination. The lamination is maple and aluminum, the blank is Jarrah burl.

George

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by georgel
                I'm missing something in the posts here as there seems to be some confusion. (maybe on my part) The video does show all 4 cuts. By not cutting all the way through the blank, the pattern on the blank is a Z not an X as you would have with through cuts.
                I stand corrected... I mistook two of the cuts to be crosscuts, which I add to my pens for a concentric ring above and below the knot... Alex's uses only diagonal cuts, thus only the knot is produced... Sorry for the confusion.
                Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Fine craftsmanship George, you have taught him very well! I can only imagine how proud you must be. I hope when my two lads are old enough they will have interest in working in the shop. Hopefully I will have it as clean and well stocked as yours!
                  BTW, I think if you sold that drum sander and aircraft carrier jointer Alex will be set for college - just kidding ;P

kudos to you guys!
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

I saw all four cuts on the BS. When they are not "through cuts" you won't see the X of each side.

There was one thing he did that causes problems for many who are not experienced - He used the live center that is used for wood on a metal mandrel. Many people pull the Tail stock too tight and damage the point which ends up causing out of round. I know experienced people who watch out for this and do well just as he did.

Most people do better using a 60° live center that is the standard in metal working situations and for which mandrels have a "cup" to receive.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• georgel
                      Handtools only
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Fuquay Varina, NC

Originally posted by leehljp
                      I saw all four cuts on the BS. When they are not "through cuts" you won't see the X of each side.

There was one thing he did that causes problems for many who are not experienced - He used the live center that is used for wood on a metal mandrel. Many people pull the Tail stock too tight and damage the point which ends up causing out of round. I know experienced people who watch out for this and do well just as he did.

Most people do better using a 60° live center that is the standard in metal working situations and for which mandrels have a "cup" to receive.

George

Comment

• georgel
                        Handtools only
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Fuquay Varina, NC

Originally posted by chopnhack
                        Fine craftsmanship George, you have taught him very well! I can only imagine how proud you must be. I hope when my two lads are old enough they will have interest in working in the shop. Hopefully I will have it as clean and well stocked as yours!
                        BTW, I think if you sold that drum sander and aircraft carrier jointer Alex will be set for college - just kidding ;P

kudos to you guys!
                        I know you are kidding, but you would be surprised at how many unkind comments Alex has received because I invested in some larger equipment.

George

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

George,

I have seen that video several times and it always makes me happy to see someone doing work like that! Congratulations!
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

That's just awesome!

Great idea, great video, great shop, great skill, great location, and -- perhaps best of all -- the kid has a great name!
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• DonHo
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                              • Craftsman 21829

Here is a link to a pdf file, about a jig to make the celtic knot pens. I made this jig and followed the instructions and it works great. I use the table saw with a thin kerf blade which make the kerf 3/32" which is the thickness of pickguard or you can cut your own inserts to that thickness. http://content.penturners.org/articl...ticknotjig.pdf

Donho
                              Attached Files
                              Don

Comment

Working...