Old Craftsman 4 1/8" Jointer ... Knives?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdmoor

Old Craftsman 4 1/8" Jointer ... Knives?

I've got my Dad's old Craftsman Jointer (Model 315.23270). It must be a mid to late '80s model. I can't find a owner's manual, Sears is of no help either. I contacted Rockwell and they don't have any info, nor do they sell 4 1/8 knives.

Does anyone have any information or insight on this model? I'm sure it's a clone but I have no idea how to find out of what ...

I either need new blades, or get the old ones sharpened ... if I can figure out how to get them out of the thing.

TIA,

jd
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

CHeck and see if the 4" knives from here will fit... you'll have to pull the old knives and measure them.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Lchien I pulled the PDF catalog down and was quit impressed with the company, Have you used the sharpening service or any of the router bits etc.
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

I got a couple spiral bits when I picked up a set of 6" knives for my jointer. They seem to be just fine, as well as the planer knives. I do like getting their catalogs in the mail.
        Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by master53yoda
          Lchien I pulled the PDF catalog down and was quit impressed with the company, Have you used the sharpening service or any of the router bits etc.

I knw they have a good selection of knives in various sizes, and a good reputation. I have some spares of their knives for my jointer but have yet to replace mine. I think Brian of Holbren who frequents here carries them at reasonable prices.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

I know Freud makes that size

Comment

• Hoover
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • USA.

Here's all I could find on 315 manufacturing code: http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1954
              Diehl Manufacturing (They made mainly motors, Singer sewing machines was their main customer. They also supplied Craftsman, with some motors.
              No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...