• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

My First (real) Turnings

I have been looking forward to posting this. I have finally started turning real stuff, not just making practice spindles. I picked up some bottle stopper kits from a Canadian supplier. This has been a learning process for sure. I know what I have made doesn't compare with what has been featured here but I'm happy with what I've done. So much that I have more kits on order. Enough talk...here's the pictures.(I need to work on my close-up photography too)

Thanks for looking.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Very nice. Better than the stuff I turned out when I was a noob. Remember that the three most important things are 1) sharp tools, 2) sharp tools, and 3) sharp tools. Oh, and sharp tools, also... Most tools new out of the package still need to be honed, if not resharpened entirely...

The fun part is looking at every piece of wood you see, and trying to envision what it's gonna look like turned and finished.

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

You are off to a great start Richard, they look real good.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Those look really nice. Makes me want to take up turning those to go along with my drinking hobby I have already
        Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I like them! Good colors on the wood. And of course, the obligatory dalek.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Why do I all the sudden want a Captain & Coke?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Great looking stoppers. The little turning I've done I find enjoyable seeing something turn out. For close-ups, I finally found the camera setting for "macro" shots. It was one of those "duh" moments.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

Thank you for all the kind words friends. It's hard to see in the pictures but two of the stoppers are made from Purple Heart, Padauk, Walnut, and some mystery hardwood from a pallet that I reclaimed from work. I made a great big lamination and now I have about a dozen blanks to start with. The far right was turned from a scrap of oak. I have more kits coming tomorrow( I hope) and I have been laminating more blanks tonight.

My only complaint is that you guys never told me just how much fun I would be having
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice work for a beginner. Whenever I get the shop online one tool I will be bringing home from my dad's is a lathe. I look forward to being able to play around on it.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                    My only complaint is that you guys never told me just how much fun I would be having

It is fun and can be time consuming, not to mention the expense of tools and accessories. I went years without a lathe as whenever I needed something turned, I had a friend with one and he did the deed. It got to the point that doing spindles and knobs proved to be less expensive if I did them myself.

I never got into bowls, pens or stoppers though, too busy earning a living. Maybe I'll find time for them soon.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Ah, the good looking fruits of labor. Nice job, Richard. I'm glad I never got into turning, for obvious reasons.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...