• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

First experiments with Polymer Clay

So this weekend I went out and did a major splurge.

1 Craft Pasta Roller - $25
    16 packages of Premo clay - $2.50 each except one at $3.50 ($41)
    Toaster Oven - $19
    Oven Thermometer - $5

Total outlay - $90

I came home and confiscated one of LOML's glass cutting boards and grabbed some razor blades and started playing.

Later I tried my hand at my first pen but made the layer of clay too thin and it lost the pattern that I had gotten in the clay. The first result was a VERY plane orangish tube that was immediately cut off the brass.

But today, I did my second and third attempts and while far from perfect, I'm at least pleased enough to show them.

First up is a pearl green/white blend that I threw on a cheap chrome cigar that I know will never go anywhere.

Second is my first attempts at a Faux Mokume Gane in Blue pearl and white. The pattern is very subtle (and slightly out of focus in the first pic) but it definitely opens up possibilities.

So tell me what you think, and feel free to ask newbie question since that's exactly what I am on this.

Oh, so far 3 pens is a total of about a package of clay, maybe less.
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Those look fantastic.

So is there anything under the clay, or is the entire body of the pen made of the clay?

How hard is the stuff on your turning tools?

Kinda fascinated. Not only are the turnings beautiful, but the entire process is pretty neat (if you ask me).

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

just the brass tube that's part of the kit and the clay.

After baking, it's not as hard as pottery, but it is very hard. I turned them with a skew and the sanded to final with ho problems. I would say they are similar in hardness to Acrylics. There are a couple clays that are supposed to be slightly harder, and take a polish a bit better that I may be looking into once I am ready to buy another batch.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I love the mokume look! You have my attention for sure! The other pen looks great also. You are off to a great start!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Looking good.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

This is fascinating. I would never have thought you could turn pens out of clay. The pattern in the Mokume I like a lot.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Russianwolf
              So this weekend I went out and did a major splurge.

1 Craft Pasta Roller - $25
              16 packages of Premo clay - $2.50 each except one at $3.50 ($41)
              Toaster Oven - $19
              Oven Thermometer - $5

Total outlay - $90

I came home and confiscated one of LOML's glass cutting boards and grabbed some razor blades and started playing.

Later I tried my hand at my first pen but made the layer of clay too thin and it lost the pattern that I had gotten in the clay. The first result was a VERY plane orangish tube that was immediately cut off the brass.

But today, I did my second and third attempts and while far from perfect, I'm at least pleased enough to show them.

First up is a pearl green/white blend that I threw on a cheap chrome cigar that I know will never go anywhere.

Second is my first attempts at a Faux Mokume Gane in Blue pearl and white. The pattern is very subtle (and slightly out of focus in the first pic) but it definitely opens up possibilities.

So tell me what you think, and feel free to ask newbie question since that's exactly what I am on this.

Oh, so far 3 pens is a total of about a package of clay, maybe less.
              Don't be so humble, those all look great. Your innovations continue to amaze. Using clay, what an idea. Great work!
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

just wanted to say,

Polymer clay in not like pottery clay. Once fire the hardness is about the same as Ebonite for those familiar with it. For those that don't know what Ebonite (a type of vulcanized rubber popular with pen manufacturers and pipemakers) is then I'll say that you can put an impression in the fired clay with a fingernail, thought it usually just "pops" rigth back out.

It's hard enough, but shouldn't shatter if dropped like pottery.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the explanation. I had visions of you turning pottery clay. The mouthpieces on my pipes are made from ebonite. This makes a LOT more sense now.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...