• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Lathe buying advice

Recently I've been feeling the urge to get a lathe and start turning bowls and
    maybe table legs--primarily bowls. Then I realized I don't know anything
    about lathes.

I really have no idea where this could take me but I feel with lathes, bigger
    is probably better for bowls. I have no interest in turning pens.

Generally, I really like what I've read about the Teknatool NOVA 1624-44.
    Although the swing isn't huge, it seems like you could do some huge turnings
    by just turning the head to the outboard side. Rotating heads don't seem to
    be common features on the sub $1000 lathes.

Then there are all the accessories you have to get. Scrapers, gouges, etc.
    Grinder to sharpen all the tools. Different chucks.

Is it possible to keep all this under $1000? Do you have any general suggestions for what I should be looking for?

Thanks, Paul
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    Recently I've been feeling the urge to get a lathe and start turning bowls and
    maybe table legs--primarily bowls. Then I realized I don't know anything
    about lathes.

I really have no idea where this could take me but I feel with lathes, bigger
    is probably better for bowls. I have no interest in turning pens.

Generally, I really like what I've read about the Teknatool NOVA 1624-44.
    Although the swing isn't huge, it seems like you could do some huge turnings
    by just turning the head to the outboard side. Rotating heads don't seem to
    be common features on the sub $1000 lathes.

Then there are all the accessories you have to get. Scrapers, gouges, etc.
    Grinder to sharpen all the tools. Different chucks.

Is it possible to keep all this under $1000? Do you have any general suggestions for what I should be looking for?

Thanks, Paul
    Well, let's see... I can show you what I have in my turning tool set and what is likely to show up soon...

HF #34706 lathe (Jet JWL 1236 clone). $219.00 -20% = $175.20 (+ tax).
    PSI LCHSS8 8 Piece High Speed Steel lathe chisel set. $59.95 w/Free Shipping.
    Big Horn 19053 8 inch 3 piece caliper set. $17.81 w/Free Shipping.
    Nieko 6 inch stainless steel 6 inch large display digital caliper. $14.95 w/Free Shipping.
    Ryobi BGH616 6" bench grinder (8 inch model shown, Home Depot site doesn't show the 6 incher for some reason). Got it on a Black Friday sale for $19.99. Regular price $49.99 + tax.
    Norton 150 grit Aluminum Oxide 6 inch grinder wheel. $18.99 + S&H, or pick up in store at Rockler.
    Wolverine Grinding jig $87.95 + S&H.
    PSI Woodworking CSC3000C Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System. $168.24 w/Free Shipping.

Subtotal... For now. $593.12

So yes, bowl turning can be gotten into for under a grand, well under. A fancier lathe, or turning tools will set you back more bucks though...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SteveR
      Established Member
      • Feb 2003
      • USA.

Additional stuff

Additional items which will be very useful for bowls

gas chainsaw......for cutting up blown over trees after storms. Basically free wood. In your area of the country I bet you could grab some nice wood.

Bandsaw.....cutting the blanks round for mounting on the lathe

BT3x...does not need to be operable...used to set the lathe chisels on.

Steve

Forgot to add safety items.
      Full face shield a MUST have. These may be around $15
      Some sort of lung protection...particularly when sanding. This item can easily be many threads by itself.
      Last edited by SteveR; 06-16-2009, 03:50 PM. Reason: safety devices

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

The real value of this site is the people, knowledge and experience with Ryobi saws. You have people here, that use, repair, ugrade and maintain the saws. In effect you have a one stop shop for information. Now If I were going to start something new, I would want to find the folks that are like this site for that activity. The most likely place to find that kind of information would be at your local AAW (American Association of Woodturners) meetings.

http://www.woodturner.org/

http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

lathe buying advice

First off, if you think about lathes and starting to turn with no experience,
          your best bet is to check out some turning clubs in your area and get their
          input/ advice. Turning can be one of the most rewarding parts of woodworking....I know this from first hand experience!

I bought a lathe over a year ago, and started turning because I had not lost my interest in lathes from my high school days and that was over 40 years
          ago! I still remember what I had learned from my shop teachers because
          they instilled in us well back then. I bought a Jet 1014I lathe, later a bed extension to make it longer and have really enjoyed it a lot!

I think you would be ahead of the crowd if you start out with a Jet, Rikon, Steel City, Delta, Penn State or one of their clones in the same size and power range these machines are well built and reliable. These machines
          all use standardized accessories as far as I know, like 1"x 8tpi chucks, #2 morse tape spindles and this makes buying extras for the lathe a lot cheaper now and later on if you upgrade to most of the bigger machines. This makes life simpler down the road. Turning is not only turning wood round on a lathe,
          it also involves sharpening your lathe chisels,being good at using calipers,
          following patterns for duplicating pieces, making some accessories for the lathe and on and on. That is part of the reason most turners talk about
          the "slippery slope" buying more and more tools and so on.

These are a few things to think about anyway... if had to sell most of my tools and could only keep one of my machines, it would be my lathe! I brings more joy than most of the others.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

"Slippery slope" No kidding. It seems like there's a more organized, dedicated
            core of turners than woodworkers.

Anyway, I found a local club and plan to attend next month. They happen to
            meet at the local Woodcraft which also has a beginners class for bowl turning
            for $175. I think it's a little steep for an all day class but hopefully it will be a
            small investment towards something that could be lifelong.

Paul

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              Anyway, I found a local club and plan to attend next month. They happen to meet at the local Woodcraft which also has a beginners class for bowl turning
              for $175. I think it's a little steep for an all day class but hopefully it will be a
              small investment towards something that could be lifelong.
              Check/ask if your local club has hands-on sessions. A lot cheaper then the classes at WC.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by gerti
                Check/ask if your local club has hands-on sessions. A lot cheaper then the classes at WC.
                Or, chat with the turners at the meet. Most will be willing to show you the ropes at their shop. I know I would be willing if I actually cleaned it up so people wouldn't trip over lumber
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by SteveR
                  Additional items which will be very useful for bowls

gas chainsaw......for cutting up blown over trees after storms. Basically free wood. In your area of the country I bet you could grab some nice wood.

Bandsaw.....cutting the blanks round for mounting on the lathe

BT3x...does not need to be operable...used to set the lathe chisels on.

Steve

Forgot to add safety items.
                  Full face shield a MUST have. These may be around $15
                  Some sort of lung protection...particularly when sanding. This item can easily be many threads by itself.
                  Good points. But I want to know.... When were you in my shop while I was turning? The SMT is close at hand and really handy to set the turning tools on.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bmyers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Fishkill, NY
                    • bt 3100

HF #34706 lathe (Jet JWL 1236 clone). $219.00 -20% = $175.20 (+ tax).
                    x2 on the HF lathe. I had a pipe lathe before the HF cast iron and it was junk. Staff away from those.

x2 on the face shield. Unless you have a good DC system WITH filtration, you'd be better off buying a cheaper lathe and a more expensive shield/respirator and save your lungs for future use. Fine particles of exotic woods can be really bad.

When I was shopping for a lathe, I kept coming across this saying: "You can turn little stuff with a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff with a little lathe". Now you have too.

Of course, later on I bought a small Jet for pen turning and little parts because I could bring it into my "other shop" that had air conditioning.

A lathe is only as good as the chucks you use with it.

Cheap chisels are great to learn how to sharpen chisels with.

Low speed grinder is a must IMHO.

Build your own grinder/sharpening system and save the cash for something else.

Get signed up with PSI turning supply and get their specials and catalogs coming your way. Good stuff and reasonably priced.

Thats enough for now I guess... Have fun!!

Bill
                    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• bowlsaw

Lathe Choices

When I started woodturning again, I bought a Jet Mini-lathe. And I turn most of my bowls on it. I do have the Nova 1624-44, but only use it for platters. My work-horse is the small lathe. I have a Delta bandsaw, a 12" disc sander, a Delta 10" contractor saw and a DeWalt 10" radial-saw. Of the 15-20 woodturning tools, I use the 1" Sorby round scraper, the 1/8" Hamlet bowl gouge and the 1/2" round Hamlet skew the most. My most used accessory is a 2-speed hot-melt glue-gun which allows me to set mount bowls on mdf faceplates to drill the Forstner 2-1/8" holes for mounting the bowls. Gosh, there are a lot of tools involved, but the only exotic I have is one I invented--the BowlSaw that I use that on the expensive bowl blanks which gives me a two for one return. Dick

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I have a Rikon midi lathe. It was fairly powerful with a good motor for the lathe's size. A year after buying it, I purchased the PSI VS motor and controller because I hate the constant belt changing for speed changes. This worked great for pens!

I cannot do without the VS and it will be on the next lathe. However, the midi sized VS motors are not powerful enough for turning 10 to 12 in bowls and plates. It works OK but not great. It becomes obvious that it is weak when it comes to power for driving 3 and 4 inch thick bowls 10 and 12 inches in diameter.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RMCWoodWorks
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2010

Paul, as ShootTx says, you'll find more enthusiasm, willingness to share knowledge, etc. than you (or your time or tool budget) can handle if you pursue one of the local American Association of Woodturners chapters ... here's some ...

Baltimore Area Turners ( Towson, MD )
                          Web Site: http://www.baltimoreareaturners.org
                          Capital Area Woodturners ( Alexandria, VA )
                          Web Site: http://www.capwoodturners.org
                          Catoctin Area Turners ( Leesburg, VA )
                          Web Site: http://www.catoctinareaturners.org/.
                          Chesapeake Woodturners ( Annapolis, MD )
                          Web Site: http://www.chesapeakewoodturners.com
                          Cumberland Valley Woodturners ( Chambersburg, PA )
                          Web Site: http://www.freewebs.com/cvwoodturners/
                          First State Woodturners ( New Castle, DE )
                          Web Site: http://www.firststatewoodturners.org
                          Mid-Maryland Woodturners ( Frederick, MD )
                          Web Site: http://www.mmwtc.org
                          Montgomery County Woodturners ( Rockville, MD )
                          Web Site: http://www.montgomerycountywoodturners.org
                          Quad-State Bodgers ( Ellerslie, MD )
                          South Central Pennsylvania Woodturners ( Jacobus, PA )

Good luck!

Comment

• guycox
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Romulak, VA, USA.

Seriously, skip the pain and in the indecision. Just take out a loan and buy a Oneway or a Stubby.. it'll be cheaper in the long run..
                            Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
                            What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow! It's been a little over 2 years since I started this thread. Here's an
                              update.

Last summer there was a sale at WC for the well-reviewed Rikon 70-100 mini
                              lathe. It's in my garage and still in the box. My wife had a baby last summer
                              so I should have known better than to start something new.

A little over 2 years ago, my Uncle passed away. He was a spindle turner. Fast
                              forward to last weekend after my cousin's wedding (not her dad). My Aunt
                              offered up the lathe to me and I picked it up on the way home. It's a Delta
                              46-715. Not the best lathe, I've read, but it's got sentimental value because
                              I dearly miss my Uncle and he was taken too soon. Grrrrr...survive one thing
                              only to die from pneumonia caught at the hospital!

Well, that's where I stand with my 2 lathes. I'm going to the local turner's club
                              meeting July 7. I've got the chisels. Need to get a grinder and make a
                              sharpening rig. My desire is to turn bowls but I'm going to start out with
                              knobs or spindles of some sort.

Oh yeah, we're expecting another baby around Labor Day. What are my
                              chances I'll get much turning in? Does iron go bad?

Paul

Comment

Working...