• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Skew Sharpening

Quite some time ago, I bought a set of old turning chisels through ebay. They were well used, some a little shorter than others. I just started doing more turning, mostly making handles.

Anyway, I love these old chisels. They hold a good edge and they feel good in your hands. They are marked W. Marples & Sons, Sheffield, England, with a shamrock symbol.

My question is... The skews have been sharpened with a rounded bevel. My sharpening book says they should have a flat bevel. The skew seems to work fine. The curve helps me to ease into the cut. I have continued to hand sharpen using the existing line. Is this a problem? Am I asking for trouble?

The set is on the far wall. They came in the wood box. Not bad for $20.00. [Thinly disguised gloat]

This is a scan of the skew.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

If it works for you continue using and sharpening them. I have a straight skew that I reground and sharpened at 45 deg and it works fine for turing pens. I think as long as it is sharp you are ok. I see you have a picture of your Idol and a very clean shop.

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 05-12-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

First question is "Why would you mount them in your living room?" It obviously is not a shop, unless you are taking lessons from Rod.

The old Marples tools are good turning tools. As far as sharpening skews, if what you are doing works keep doing it! I have tried sharpening skews, and as they say I am still learning.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Curved edges on skews are not uncommon. Google the Alan Lacer skews if you wanna see some really curved ones... Many turners grind a hollow bevel on their skews, others grind the corners of the bar round, Still others prefer an oval skew to a flat one. Bottom line is that it's a feel thing. Shape yours the way that feels the most comfortable to you, and gives you the best results.
        Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 05-12-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

is that really a picture of Rod Kirby?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Rich P
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Foresthill, CA, USA.
            • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

I believe Raffan also grinds a curved edge on his skews.
            Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

Loring,

You must have missed my earlier post of the "shrine".

Steve
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

It doesn't look from the picture like the skew edge is rounded, as some suggest, and like Raffan teaches. So, do you mean the bevel face? IOW, instead of hollow ground, which would be a concave bevel, it's the opposite, or convex?

I don't think that alone would be problematic while turning, but I don't think it's as big a benefit as you might think. You should be able to ease into the cut with a flat bevel just as well, using the bevel rubbing technique.

I think it would be difficult to sharpen such a bevel though, without making the bevel more and more convex. And then it would create more and more trouble while turning.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• mudder
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • I live in a house
                  • Delta 36-650

Your shop looks too clean, I don't think you do any "real" work in there

While your sharpening technique is not the "norm", if it works for you then that's what counts. Raffin, Ellsworth, Lacer, Ray Key and many others have their own "signature" grinds and they were considered radical it their day.

P.S. Did Rod send you that shaving or did you make it yourself?

Comment

Working...