One more step to getting things spun up done.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

One more step to getting things spun up done.

I got the HF 34706 assembled last night. Actually it was surprisingly easy to set up, and mostly complete out of the box. I only used the Chinglish instructions as a basic sanity / safety check. (Did I REALLY do that part right?).

It was simply a matter of setting up the leg stand, which was painfully obvious how it went on. Setting the lathe up on the stand (not easy to do solo with a bad back, but doable if you use your brains, and a canoe lift assembly in the ceiling!), bolt the lathe down, snug all that up so it is solid. Finally, assemble the handles onto the various controls, adjust, notice the live center and the spur don't 100% line up, fiddle some more, notice they do line up... (The head lock mechanism is a bit finicky, a complaint I see about the Jet 1236 as well...). And lastly install the extension bed piece. (Some folks say to not use this. I installed it, can't really see how it would be useful, but it came with the lathe...)

The folks that say the leg stand leaves a bit to be desired are NOT underestimating this. This lathe REALLY needs a cabinet under it for mass sake if nothing else...

I stuck the face plate on it, double checked that EVERYTHING was properly snugged down, and there were no extra nuts, bolts washers or that sort of thing.

Lastly I plugged it in, and spun it up dry, then ran it through the speed settings. Unloaded at least, this lathe is nice and quiet, with surprisingly very little vibration.

I was reading through "Learn To Turn" last night, and this looks pretty straight forward, at least getting started does. I will be trying to get together with the Gulf Coast Woodturners to try to get some hands on pointers on how to go from I don't barely recall how to do this from HS wood shop, back to having fun at the lathe and producing some round goodies for this, that, or the other purpose...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'm eager to hear your thoughts. I'd like to upgrade to a better lathe from my mini Jet, but I'm not sure if I should buy this one when it's on sale again, or wait until I can afford an electronic variable speed....

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

Just wait till you put a nice out of round blank on it......... She's make a break for the door.

I've watch people with huge OneWay lathes start walking it, then dial the speed back down.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Okay now THAT made me laugh...

Yeah, my plans are for a nice, hefty permanent mounting bench for the lathe. That will give me storage (something all shops seem to always be in short supply of), and mass to keep the lathe where I put it...

I have decided the first cabinet is going to be a Rod Kirby style mobile base / bottom cabinet for my DP though. I need some place to put all my bits, and I hate having the cases all mounted to the wall behind it...

I did notice something from setting this up though. A lot of the models I used in Sketchup on my layout are NOT anywhere near on scale. I have my planer even with the infeed and outfeed tables, my sander, the band saw, and the lathe all in less than 12' of wall space. I spread it out a bit to 16" just to give myself some elbow room, but 12 would work. I am feeling better and better about the upcoming shop build that is for sure...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

DB,

How does the speed control work. Is it mechanical or electronic?

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

It's mechanical. Start the lathe, pull the control lever out past the detent, and rotate either right (Faster) or left (slower).

While I haven't stuck a tachometer on it yet, I have worked on cars and motorcycles long enough to think that low speed rating of 600rpm is kind of high.. I would guess maybe more like 450 or 500. I can see the holes as the go by, they aren't just a blur...

Comment

Working...