• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

which face shield to buy?

Well, the title pretty much sums it up! I don't do turning, but I guess a face shield is the same for all woodwork?
    I see many admonitions to get one, but I haven't seen any recommendations. Whaddaya think?
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

If I were buying one I'd buy http://www.gemplers.com/product/1242...ncoated-Windowbut I prefer upper end safety stuff. They are usually more comfortable which means I'll be less likely to constantly take it off, durability usually goes up with price too. This one is made in USA also.

On the other hand this style http://www.gemplers.com/product/FSC/...ost-Faceshield gives almost the same level of protection for a little cheaper and is imported. notice it doesn't cover the sides as much and would be more flexible in a big impact. I use this style in shop class around the grinders and it is ok for quick uses but it scratches easily and wouldn't be comfortable for extended wear.

Also keep in mind that a face shield is considered secondary eye protection, you should still wear safety glasses, or at least prescription glasses, under them.
    Last edited by Tom Slick; 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

+1 on Tom's advice... Remember to wear safety glasses under the shield.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

I'm a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy by nature, but I was surprised to hear that you still wear the safety glasses under the face shield.

Thanks for the advice. $30 is cheap enough to 'save face'!
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

If you are interesting in doing some more reading on PPE here is osha's site:
          http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/eyea...ceshields.html
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Tom has good advice. The only thing I would add is to get one that has replacement lenses at a reasonable cost and is easy to get and install. If not one is apt to use a shield that is badly scratched or fogged and that could be dangerous.

I got several of the second type that Tom recommended from Harbor Freight. They came with a replacement lens and are very affordable when on sale with a coupon.

Bill

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have the one from Home Depot...
              https://MSA Safety Works No. 817893 ...hield Assembly

I am NOT impressed with the adjustment assembly as it came apart after about a year. I have been using it now for about a year with the adjuster duct taped into one position. I do NOT recommend this one.

That Uvex is on my short list... I have seen more than a few of these at my BIL's body shop, They use them when doing grinding / sanding etc... They abuse the heck out of the things and they simply hold up to the abuse... Money well spent I would assume...
              Last edited by dbhost; 04-26-2009, 04:57 PM.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I use a shield more like this one (from Tom's site), but I don't remember the brand. I like the unobstructed peripheral view ability. I don't wear safety glasses under, but rather reading type glasses (prescription) that have safety lenses. Still there is a fair amount of dust and fogging with both a shield and glasses.

Maybe the answer would be a prescription face shield. Heard a comedian on Sirius suggest drivers who wear glasses may lose or forget them. Maybe they should get a prescription windshield. Now that would blow away a passenger.

Comment

• don_hart
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Airsheild

I use a Trend Airsheild. It is a combination face shield and positive pressure mask so it does duty as face protection and respirator. I definitely recommend this to anyone who turns. Also if you decide to get one here is instructions for making your own battery packs

http://azwoodturners.org/100_-_Airshield_Battery_Pack.pdf
                  Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• tribalwind
                    • Feb 2004
                    • long island, ny.

late to the party on this one.

i have 2. 1 is the $13 HF model, replacement shield is $7. is just regular plastic and scratches somewhat easy... the other is a Huskvarna hardhat with earmuffs and the face-shield is fine wire-steel mesh..i actualyl like that one alot because no way it can fog.air moves freely,and dont scratch..not too hard to see through. i use that for rough-turning and the heavy stuff..and the clear plastic one for close-up fine details (well, more or less like that anyway) the mesh Does allow for super fine dust to enter so i dont use it when sanding.but it's tougher than plastic in case a bowl nails me in the face (only happend once,hidden crack inside the wood,mesh/hardhat worked great!)

harbor freight also sells a cheap $1.87 harhat face shield attachemnt.. also an ear-muff/shield for a whopping $10 http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...ield&Submit=Go

i really like that 1st one that tom posted and i think i would buy that next.the replacement is same $7 as HF and probably of better quality i imagine.made in USA's a huge plus. shame that the Anti-Fog coated replacement is so pricey ($20) then again, how often do you really replace them? i've only done it once in 4 years! 20's lookin like a bargain if it does what it claims to..not fog!.
                    Last edited by tribalwind; 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM.
                    namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• williamr
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Mazatlan or Toronto
                      • BT3000SX

Originally posted by herb fellows
                      Well, the title pretty much sums it up! I don't do turning, but I guess a face shield is the same for all woodwork?
                      I see many admonitions to get one, but I haven't seen any recommendations. Whaddaya think?
                      ANyone still thinking about it -- another style of face shield...
                      http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=PRC001

Comment

• Bill Stock
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Canada, Eh!
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                        I'm a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy by nature, but I was surprised to hear that you still wear the safety glasses under the face shield.
                        That's because crap gets up under the shield and can still get in your orifices, DAMHIKT.

Not a recommendation since it's never saved my face (some would argue it's too late ), but it was cheap and fits well.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B973

Comment

Working...