• Show
Clear All
  • BerniePA
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • San Tan Valley, AZ
    • Grizzly 0575

Boosting the Economy

I feel I am doing my whole town's part all by myself to boost the economy. Yeah -- that's right -- I decided to take the plunge and get into turning.

My UPS and FedEx guys are wearing paths to my door delivering packages from all over the country containing tools and supplies to get started. Only one thing is missing -- THE LATHE!!

Because of price, specs, comparison and the fact that I have their table saw and am well pleased with it, I decided to go with the Grizzly G0658 which is a lathe that compares well with the Jet 1220 except for the light. It has a 3/4 hp motor, is 12 x 20, has three gear ranges with VS within the ranges, etc. After I ordered it, I find that it is back-ordered until mid-April!! So, now I will have a lot of equipment and supplies and time to read and watch videos so that when it does get here, I will be ready to jump in with both feet!!!

So, I'm here -- I'm ready -- but it will be awhile before anyone will see any pictures of my first turnings I'm afraid!!
    Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

No pictures, didn't happen...

Comment

• BerniePA
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • San Tan Valley, AZ
      • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      No pictures, didn't happen...
      Nuthin' to take pictures of -- cuz it unfortunately, didn't happen -- yet!!
      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

That's what I mean...

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

You could aways take a picture of where the lathe is going to sit and let us use our imaginations
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jcjrsmith
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I have been turning for less than a week. I am already addicted. Good luck.
            Jerry in PA
            ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
            http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

• treetopguy2028
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • Mountain View, Arkansas
              • Three makes of band saws

BerniePA's Grizzly G0658 lathe due two months ago

Hi Bernie, etc.
              Of the 3 midi-lathes I've had since fall of 1999, the last I bought in 2004 was a 1/2HP Fisch TC 90-100 (10"x14" plus bed extension) of Claysville, PA (southwest corner of PA). Fisch went out of business about 2007 even though their lathe was superior in features compared to Delta LA-200 and JET1014.

I yearn to upgrade again to a 12"x20" with 3/4 HP motor and my shopping spree has narrowed down to Grizzly G0658 for $425 or JET 1220VS model 708376 for about $545. The outboard turning feature of Grizzly is very attractive and would save some time. I have tried to find a 12"x20" lathe by Steel City but the truth seems to be a secret on the Web or I cannot read English.

Did you get your Grizzly lathe? How about an update on it? Thanks!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Hope you have gotten the lathe by now... I am hooked like a Meth addict to my lathe now... It's odd how addicting these things are...

And I am still at the stage where I am turning question marks. (You know, the whole I turned it, but what the heck IS it? thing...)

I never would have guessed that my biggest use for my miter saw to date would be to chop limb ends square for the lathe...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...