• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

I don't think I have seen more beautiful pens. If a pen can be art, then those surely are.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I too have never turned anything but I know art when I see it! Great job Hank! Beauts.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JerrySats
        That's a gorgeous pen , I like the combo of all the different woods and metals . How was it drilling for and setting those small pieces of solder?
        Thanks fellows for the recent comments. I don't consider myself an artist. What is that term - even a blind hog (squirrel?) finds a nut once in a while?

In all honesty, I needed to make a couple of pens for two co-workers, and that general idea had been on my mind for some time. I didn't experiment, and threw them together without a lot of planning or experimenting. The only experimenting was with how to get the solder smooth without using sandpaper. Solder smears like pencil lead when smoothed with sandpaper.

Basically I am saying for the most part, it just happened to come out well; I didn't plan it to be that nice. In fact, I "almost" didn't take a picture of it. I didn't think it was exceptional until LOML and the two recipients went on and on about it. I didn't think the photo was either.

As I said, I made them in kind of a hurry because I was VERY pre-occupied with more work and meetings than I had time for over a three week span of non stop work and no off days. I needed a couple of gifts, so I didn't take time to evaluate things. Bottom line - it wasn't by design by me - I just lucked out. I probably need to do that more often!

TO THE QUESTION: The holes that I drilled - the hard part was trying to make 30 spots on a small place - look random. It would have been easier to look more orderly. It wasn't difficult as I imagined and it only took a couple of minutes; drilling the holes required that I keep count and where I was on the pen. IOW - I knew that I had to be at 15 half way around and I checked for that.

I tapped each piece lightly with a small tack hammer into the hole. They stuck well enough to hold until all were in. Then I put thin CA glue all over the Solder/Wood area. Next I turned at high speed and with a very sharp scraper. I lost a couple of pieces, but it was easy enough to put two new pieces in the holes and re-glue, and re-turn. I eased the scraper into it very very gently and slowly, almost slow motion like.
        Last edited by leehljp; 11-12-2008, 01:34 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• lebomike
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Pennsylvania
          • Ryobi BT3000

These pens are beautiful, I wish I was one of the friends receiving them. I have collected pens over the years made by manufactures of pens like Cross,Verde,etc. None compare to these, again they are beautiful. If you were to sell a pen like this, what would you charge me? (PM me)I may be interested in purchasing one for my collection.

Thanks
          Mike
          "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
            Thanks fellows for the recent comments. I don't consider myself an artist. What is that term - even a blind hog (squirrel?) finds a nut once in a while?
            Eh, the way I see it, you underrate yourself...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by lebomike
              These pens are beautiful, I wish I was one of the friends receiving them. I have collected pens over the years made by manufactures of pens like Cross,Verde,etc. None compare to these, again they are beautiful. If you were to sell a pen like this, what would you charge me? (PM me)I may be interested in purchasing one for my collection.

Thanks
              Mike
              Mike, PM sent.

Short answer: I am talking with my daughter in the Dallas TX general area about selling a limited number through her husbands ceramic arts web site.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Hank, those are fantastic, excellent work quality and attention to detail. I don't know that I have the patience to put that much effort into a pen, but well done!
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I've never seen anything like those, Hank. Really unique and elegant!
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

It is a very nice design.

I am a very grateful recipient of one. Thank you Hank. Quite a few people have commented on my new pen too. I just need to find a rollerball cartridge that writes as smoothly as my Cross' and it would be absolutely perfect, rather than just perfect.
                    Erik

Comment

• BerniePA
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • San Tan Valley, AZ
                      • Grizzly 0575

I'm speechless -- absolutely beautiful!!!
                      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Wow, Hank! Those are absolutely beautiful!!

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          It is a very nice design.

I am a very grateful recipient of one. Thank you Hank. Quite a few people have commented on my new pen too. I just need to find a rollerball cartridge that writes as smoothly as my Cross' and it would be absolutely perfect, rather than just perfect.
                          I appreciate your help. I forgot to let you know that my daughter received the package from you early last week.

Thanks!
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I just recently started viewing in the Turning Talk section as I seem to stay in a hurry and busy. I notice these pens and thread was from awhile back before I took time time to look at the Turning section. So.. with that said...

Uncle Cracker mentioned Art.... not only Art but to the point of Eloquent Art as those are the nicest pens I have seen to date and there are indeed some very nice pens posted here and elsewhere.

So.. congratulations on perfection on this set. Now.... down the steps to work on my junk-yard art in progress.

Comment

• seabat
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2008
                              • Liberty Lake, WA

Wow ... very nice. I hate the thought of drilling 30 holes let alone trying to turn solder ... outstanding!

Comment

• leehljp
                                Just me
                                • Dec 2002
                                • Tunica, MS
                                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by seabat
                                Wow ... very nice. I hate the thought of drilling 30 holes let alone trying to turn solder ... outstanding!
                                Drilling the holes was not hard. I drilled a 3 in section of olive wood, 3 inch section of bloodwood and the same for holly. Then on a precision adjustable jig, I cut the sections. That way, they were all square - holes precisely 90° to the section. The real key (and headache) was making the jig and sliding table be so precise and square.
                                Hank Lee

Comment

Working...