X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Workman
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Lathe questions

I have the opportunity to pick up an old Blount lathe for the price of carrying it away (free). I think this thing weighs about 600 pounds and is complete, but is a three phase machine. Appears to be about a 12" X 40" bed. It all seems to be in good (although old) shape - everything is there. I don't know if it runs/no way to presently hook it up. What do you think? Is this worth pursuing? Do any of you have experience with rebuilds/conversions/etc?
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I am not a turner, but I found this on the web:

" THE JOY OF WOODTURNING IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL TO THE MASS OF YOUR LATHE"

I suggest you grab it and look for a phase converter.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by Daryl
      I suggest you grab it and look for a phase converter.
      ... or a single-phase motor that will fit...

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

For the free price I'd go and grab it just as a refurb project. You can pick up a good motor elsewhere.
        And if it's in Cowtown Ohio and you don't want it, I know someone who would!

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

lathe questions

From what you have described so far...it sounds as if that is a metal working lathe...not a woodworking lathe. I would want to see it run before taking on a project like that...being three phase powered and all. It might get to be very expensive buying a different motor to run it on home /shop single phase power (which is what your house normally has) or buying a phase converter
          probably $800- $900 for that! Might want to give it a strong second look before jumping on that deal...even if it is a freebie! eezlock

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

See this link for a possible source of info
            http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=109&tab=4
            and some pix.
            Last edited by just started; 05-21-2008, 10:29 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

• garymuto
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Encinitas, CA
              • Delta Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by eezlock
              From what you have described so far...it sounds as if that is a metal working lathe...not a woodworking lathe. I would want to see it run before taking on a project like that...being three phase powered and all. It might get to be very expensive buying a different motor to run it on home /shop single phase power (which is what your house normally has) or buying a phase converter
              probably $800- $900 for that! Might want to give it a strong second look before jumping on that deal...even if it is a freebie! eezlock
              What makes you say that it is likely a metal lathe??

Comment

• Thom2
                Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Personally, and this is just me ... but I'd be ALL OVER THAT. Even if it was single phase I would most likely swap out to 3 phase anyway since a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) requires a 3 phase motor.

Since this unit is already 3 phase, adding a variable frequency drive would most likely be much cheaper than replacing the motor with a quality single phase unit. You will need 220v to run the VFD, but IMO it'd be well worth considering since the VFD will give you infinately adjustable variable speed. Also, VFD's are available with reverse.

I haven't slid down the slippery slope of a lathe yet, but a deal like this (if in good shape and suitable) would be exactly what I was looking for as I already have the VFD's laying around.

Just my thoughts ...
                If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

Lathe questions

Originally posted by garymuto
                  What makes you say that it is likely a metal lathe??
                  The reason for saying what I did about it being a metal lathe was based on past information. At one point in time, I had a chance to be around different types of machinery....in industrial settings,and one of those shops had a
                  Blount lathe. That is not to say that Blount did not make woodworking equipment, but is/was better known for their metal working machines.

Just like saying something like "Southbend" what do you think of first?
                  Me, I always think of Southbend as nothing but lathes...they may have made other machines...I don't know, but their lathes were very popular
                  in a lot of machine shops! eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

just stole a look at EBay, VFDs, a bunch are available for 1 ph to 3 ph, 230V in 1 to 2 HP out. Looks like in the range of $120 for the 1 HP to $200-250 for the 2 HP.

does the "beast" have more than a 2 HP motor?

have to sort thru the volunteer fire dept stuff and the Vacuum flourescent-tube displays.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Thom2
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Stevens, PA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      just stole a look at EBay, VFDs, a bunch are available for 1 ph to 3 ph, 230V in 1 to 2 HP out. Looks like in the range of $120 for the 1 HP to $200-250 for the 2 HP.
                      http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc...FQfNIgodAGYjDQ

Brand New 1hp GS1 unit .. $125

2hp GS2 unit ... $235

3hp GS2 unit ... $289

Comment

• Workman
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

Your helpful information has been greatly appreciated. We'll see if I wind up with this lathe, and if I'm able to do the necessary work to make it work the way I want. There is no question that this is a wood working lathe. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Comment

• Workman
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

I did get the lathe (rescued from the truck on the way to the scrap bin), cleaned it up a bit, installed a new Hitachi VFD (complicated by the fact that this is a consequent pole motor head lathe with a four speed drum switch with no wiring diagram), and it is the smoothest running lathe I have ever seen. Many thanks to all for your advice and help.

Comment

• Thom2
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Stevens, PA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Pics???

daggummit ... we expect pics 'round here

Comment

• shoottx
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2008
                              • Plano, Texas
                              • BT3000

Old wood working machines site

http://www.owwm.com/home.aspx

I found an operating instructions and a parts manual for an old Sears Shaper I am restoring on this site. It is full of great information

For more information on sources and a key to abbreviations used in the Manufacturers Index, see: Sources of Information. If you have information to add to this Manufacturers Index entry, please contact the Old Wood Working Machines Historian.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This company, founded in 1888, made woodturning lathes, grinders, and polishers. At some point they were bought out by Williams & Hussey Machine Co., Inc., but that company no longer supports Blount products.

This lesser-known maker receives uniformly high praise for their lathes. The U.S. military bought quite a few of them, judging by the number of ex-navy lathes on the used market.

Information Sources
                              1909 catalog of "grinding, polishing machinery, and speed lathes." The catalog says that the company was established in 1888. "Speed" brand and "Stuyvesant" brand. The catalog shows lathes with swing of 11", 13", or 16", with beds from 3' to 12' long.
                              12"/17"x40" gapbed lathe from 1955 (there were no gapbed lathes in 1909 catalog).
                              We have seen a lathe labeled, "Manufactured by J. G. Blount Co. / A division of Williams & Hussey Machine Corp. / Milford, New Hampshire 03055".
                              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...