• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008

ShopFox W1704 - 1/3 HP Benchtop Lathe

Hey Guys,
    I have thought about getting into turning, never done it, but it looks addicting, I was at a local woodworking shop and the guy told me about this Lathe, for $135, What do you guys know about it? Or any advice for getting into turning? Kinda like where I should start from, the link to the lathe is http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/W1704/ Thanks,
    Mike
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Might not be a bad lathe for pens, but I wouldn't expect it to perform well for anything larger. The biggest issue IMHO is that it uses a MT1 instead of a MT2 spindle. Also, the spindle thread is 3/4" 16 TPI, which is an odd isze as well.

You'll want a MT2 taper, and a 1" 8 TPI thread, typically.

Comment

• Jack1064
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2008

Do you know of any lathes that you could recommend for a beginner and not wanting to spend a lot?
      Thanks

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by Jack1064
        Do you know of any lathes that you could recommend for a beginner and not wanting to spend a lot?
        Thanks
        The Jet mini and the Rikon mini are both very well regarded, and can be had in the $225 range from time-to-time... Grizzly also has a couple minis at lesser prices, with mixed reviews.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Depends on your definition of a lot. The Jet and Rikon lathes are popular. The Rikon is $250 new, and I think the Jet's the same. However, I bought my 1014 in great condition used for only $150.

I'd look to see what's around.

If you're looking at bowls, the HF unit with the iron bed (not steel) is supposed to do very well and is Only $280. If you can find one of their famous 20% off coupons that goes down to less than the Rikon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706

Comment

• ross
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2007
            • China Grove, NC

I have actually been looking at the Grizzly 1495, but was going to ask around for opinions on rizzly produsts my self.
            Keep on Makin' Saw Dust..
            Ross

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Looks like the one that Rockler sells under their own name. We had that, and happily got rid of it and bought a Jet mini. There's a HUGE difference in smoothness and ease of use. You'd think, "It just has to spin the wood, nothing complicated." We thought that. But it had some vibrations which really add up on a small pen, and the parts just never fit really well. The "last year's model" Jets are on sale right now, I'd highly recommend one.

Comment

• Jack1064
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008

Last year?

Where do you think I could get last years models? And do you have any idea of how much they would be?

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

They are still in stock at the three local shops I frequent. We got the variable speed for $279 and I believe the non-VS model was $229 (not sure on that price). That was at Woodworker's Source. They sell online but don't list that model online. If you can't find it locally try contacting them about shipping it to you.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/

Comment

Working...