• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My first bowl, and couple tool questions

I'm not the turner in the house, but I decided to take a whack at it recently after building a bar, since I wanted bar tools to match (bar is made of Wenge and Zebrawood). My first turning was a beer tap handle which still needs some work (obvious tool marks). Tonight I whipped up a salt rimmer that turned out alright, though it was a lot of work. The finish is still drying so no photos with the lid on it yet.

One tool question... To make the inside of the bowl I was using a tool with interchangeable/adjustable heads, with a small scraper attached. It seems that only the tip wants to cut and only at certain angles, which for the inside of a bowl was awkward, particularly the outside portion. The inside was easy. Is the tool not properly sharp? Am I using it wrong, or the wrong tool?

Another tool question: This was possibly really stupid, but it worked really well. I needed to get the edge of the rimmer perfectly flat, and it was very challenging because of both the end grain and the transition from one wood to the other. So I tried something that worked VERY well. I used the side of a tool, placing the hard straight edge flat against the side of the bowl. It cut like a nice handplane, with small curls, and produced a perfectly flat surface in short order. Danger? Stupid? Or good discovery?

• Sugarman
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Chester County, PA
    • BT3100-1

Very nice looking piece.

I can't answer your questions since I just started turning myself, but I'm looking forward to reading others answers.

Comment

Working...